The Science of a Comeback:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stralucire

01-18-2012

Yeah, I probably should add that in.

This guide will have a revision coming soon. I took a LoL break for a few months soon after writing this and just recently returned; a few things are out of date (including the current frequency of comebacks). In the next few days it'll get an update.

VhakulaKhaulepi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

It's incredibly difficult for me to leave a base undefended, even if death is certain. Sometimes it works out in our favor. Other times not so much.

Lengone

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202halffound View Post
You haven't mentioned the funky Dominion respawn timer.

Basically, if a few people die at the same time, they will all respawn at the same time instead of staggered.

For example, if Lux dies, and then a few seconds later Rammus dies then Rammus will spawn at the same time as Lux instead of a few seconds after.

I haven't figured out the specifics, but that's what happens.
Riot describes this as wave spawning. My hypothesis as to what is happening mechanics wise is that every 30 seconds or so is the "wave" of spawns. Via some undisclosed mechanic your re-spawn time is adjusted to match one of these waves. My best educated guess at what is happening.

Maxijazz

01-18-2012

This should most definitely be put into the "Complete List of Guides" in the guides and strategy forums as well as a major part of any dominion players learning.

Saying gg too early really is a very strong psychological weapon that other people have said. Had a game that was 2 - 450 and my team said gg. We went on to crush them. By saying gg you are implying that your team has accepted defeat (given up) and the enemy should be seeing the victory page any minute (and should give up too.) The only problem for the enemy team is that they are completely giving up the momentum that has brought them so close to winning and you are just getting started. This can have the same effect with you on the winning end saying it.

People attach much more importance on things that they have spent time on and so giving up when you still have even a small chance is not really an option for most. This is why car dealers give you a lot of time before you decide on buying a car: by using your time it becomes more difficult to walk away.

Inkyjinx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lengone View Post
Riot describes this as wave spawning. My hypothesis as to what is happening mechanics wise is that every 30 seconds or so is the "wave" of spawns. Via some undisclosed mechanic your re-spawn time is adjusted to match one of these waves. My best educated guess at what is happening.
a red made a very detailed post about this at some point with all the specifics but our archaic forum arrangements makes it difficult to find.

short version: there are 'windows' on respawns. You respawn in the last open window if you'll fit through it.. Meaning there is a minimum time.

Melvear

01-18-2012

Brackhar explained in great details the respawn system a few months back. Basically this is what happens:

The first champion that dies creates a 10 seconds window. Should any other teammates die in that window, their death timer gets reduced to what remains on the timer of the first champion that dies, *except* for any bonus to death reduction that champion may have (good hands, runes).

Karthus, Yorick and Kog used to be able to exploit this in a way that allowed them instant respawns, after their passive had expired or their ultimate, whichever case applied.

As for the higher/lower respawn timers for the winning/losing team, it used to be incremental. The more you were down, the better the bonus was. The first iteration was 2 seconds once you're down in points and increasing to a maximum of 4 at -100 points. This was changed a couple of patches back to 2 seconds flat. Meaning that the losing team respawns 4 seconds faster than the winning team, regardless of how much points they are down.

CyrisAeon

01-18-2012

Magnificent post.

Poetical

01-18-2012

Great post.

Stralucire

01-19-2012

Update finished. The guide is now at pace with the current patch notes, and I've added a section about respawn timer linking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxijazz View Post
This should most definitely be put into the "Complete List of Guides" in the guides and strategy forums as well as a major part of any dominion players learning.
It's already there, listed under the general Dominion guides.

Quote:
Saying gg too early really is a very strong psychological weapon that other people have said. Had a game that was 2 - 450 and my team said gg. We went on to crush them.
It's very true. I've watched it happen in everything from foosball to football. And it feels **** good when you come back for the win, doesn't it? Nice comeback, by the way. That's impressive even for Dominion standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VhakulaKhaulepi View Post
It's incredibly difficult for me to leave a base undefended, even if death is certain. Sometimes it works out in our favor. Other times not so much.
Which is understandable, and I wouldn't really suggest leaving, say, Windmill undefended. But a lot of people stick it out on the other team's bottom or mid, even though it doesn't buy them that much more time. Especially if you consider that player's time spent rezzing against their time spent delaying the other team. It usually comes across even, if not negative, in favor of the other team.

Raptoreyes

01-20-2012

Riot employees!!! please sticky this post!!! If for no other reason then it will prevent a lot of nerf calls and hassle down the road. My sincere thanks to the author of the original post!