I hate Sword of the Divine.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskofdead View Post
Did you somehow get confused and think we were talking about Mundo instead of Jax?
Op's complaint is about a gold-inefficient item that more or less exists to combat one specific scenario (dodge champs - Jax) ... I simply pointed out Executioner's calling has the same problem. It was implemented when healing was a lot stronger and now is usually a waste of a slot; I hate it far more than I do SOTD

Zeta

10-03-2011

Don't see why they don't make Executioner's Calling and Sword of the Divine one item. Jax + Healing counter sounds like it would fit into more builds.

Daddy December

10-03-2011

i like ec. 20s cd and it helps vs ppl like jax, xin, tryn, etc...i would upgrade it after i have all my other items

Weirding

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Don't see why they don't make Executioner's Calling and Sword of the Divine one item. Jax + Healing counter sounds like it would fit into more builds.
I would argue that the RIGHT answer is the fix the abilities and dispense with the items.

Are there abusive healing mechanics? Well, there USED to be, but they got nerfed pretty severely -- and with good reason. It's one thing to output a heal for 1000 health once in a fight -- damage is thrown around liberally and that heal is only going to save one person for a few more seconds. It's something else entirely to output a heal for 800 health every 10 seconds. Riot's initial solution to this -- Executioner's Calling -- addressed a symptom (immortal champions who were healing faster than you could DPS then) rather than addressing the problem (the healing).

Sword of the Divine is in the same boat. It addresses a symptom caused by Jax -- there is one champion on the other team that is reducing all of your damage by 40% before armor in a completely passive manner -- rather than addressing the actual problem: the dodge mechanic. Compounding this "solution's" issues are the fact that it is a very gold-inefficient item and that the active ability (which costs quite the premium) isn't that great against most other champions.

JoeDuo

10-03-2011

The problem with both weapons is they've been over-engineered.
Sword of the Divine has a useless 100 magic damage every 4 hit, which doesn't fit in any build (it doesn't even synergize with itself) and you must still pay for that component. This renders the weapon worthless.
How to make SotD work?
Change it to:
+60% attack speed
Unique: +30 armor penetration
Unique Active: For 8 seconds your attacks cannot be dodged. 40 second cooldown.
Cost: 1970g (same)

The item can now be worked into most AD builds, can be balanced to be worthwhile, and can still be used to soft counter Jax.

Executioner's Calling has life steal, critical strike and damage over time. Again, DoT don't work with critical strike and life steal, so you end up with an useless component which renders the item worthless. Also, it's far too cheap.
Howto make EC work?
Change it to:
+30% critical strike chance
+40% life steal
Unique active: Target champion suffers −50% healing effectiveness for 8 seconds. 20 second cooldown.
Cost: 2000g

RickyRickz

10-03-2011

Sword of the Divine is indeed not a very good item. However Jax has the most trouble against two things :

1) Casters
2) Tanky DPS that synergize well with frozen heart (like Blitzcrank, or Malph)

Jax was made to counter AD characters, don't expect to win versus him if you go at him with 4 or 5 AD teams

Good team composition should never go out of the window.

Weirding

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRickz View Post
Sword of the Divine is indeed not a very good item. However Jax has the most trouble against two things :

1) Casters
2) Tanky DPS that synergize well with frozen heart (like Blitzcrank, or Malph)

Jax was made to counter AD characters, don't expect to win versus him if you go at him with 4 or 5 AD teams

Good team composition should never go out of the window.
I take issue with your notion that Jax was designed to counter AD characters. He has an active on his Ultimate that provides him with a massive boost to his Magic Resistance for a good amount of time -- more than enough to slaughter any AP carry and still plenty to tip the fight against a tanky AP (like Maokai) in his favor.

The problem with Jax is that he counters EVERYONE. This issue isn't so noticeable in SR when an entire team can focus him down if he engages at the wrong time, but it's very noticeable in CS where the map is basically one small-scale fight after another.

Totaltrash

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirding View Post
Hey there Totaltrash (irony?)...
Yeah yeah, irony - is that the best insult you can come up with?

Quote:
Do you realize that we are talking about Dominion here, and not Summoner's Rift? Perhaps you didn't notice the forum label at the top.
I was talking about Dominion, that's why I posted in your thread on the Dominion forum.

Quote:
Maybe you haven't played Dominion yet; I know there are a few people who still haven't bothered to try it, since they are content on SR. Here's a little tip about it for you:
Ah, you think being condescending gives your opinion more credence?
Yes, I have played many Dominion games with Jax.

After about 100 games, I have seen exactly ONE SINGLE PERSON smart enough build an SotD against me. It worked.

Jax is a 1vs1 champion. That's it, that's all he can do.
You 1vs1 him, you will and you should lose!

I stand by it:
You don't know how to play against Jax
But you refuse to adjust your playstyle or build
Instead, you rather come here and ask Riot to "fix" your incompetence.

Granted, all the qq-ers do the same here, so you are not alone:
Whine about a Champion (not just Jax) enough until Riot nerfs him/her, so you don't have to adapt or learn something new.

newbin

10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post

Ah, you think being condescending gives your opinion more credence?
Yes, I have played many Dominion games with Jax.

After about 100 games, I have seen exactly ONE SINGLE PERSON smart enough build an SotD against me. It worked.

Jax is a 1vs1 champion. That's it, that's all he can do.
You 1vs1 him, you will and you should lose!

I stand by it:
You don't know how to play against Jax
But you refuse to adjust your playstyle or build
Instead, you rather come here and ask Riot to "fix" your incompetence.

Granted, all the qq-ers do the same here, so you are not alone:
Whine about a Champion (not just Jax) enough until Riot nerfs him/her, so you don't have to adapt or learn something new.
SotD works great for him AND against others have you forgotten the 30 armor penitration on the effect? I use it on Master Yi alot and arpen runes and mastery. I always get The Black Cleaver that is over 90 armor pen/reduction, alot of attack speed, and DAMAGE. I cut though every champion like a hot knife though butter.

Weirding

10-07-2011

I still hate it. A patch has gone by and nothing better has been introduced.

The dodge mechanic is TERRIBLE on this map. You can even dodge TOWERS, so Jax (and Udyr) can just dive with relative impunity even without armor.

Give us something better. An item that simply prevents the attacked target from dodging for 5 seconds would be perfect. Make it something like the Black Cleaver -- you know, something WORTHWHILE.