How to game the respawn timers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KimKelley

10-23-2011

Quote:
I've given up complaining about the terrible respawn mechanics and just learned how to exploit them. It's actually smarter and more beneficial to hold two points in the early game, and focus on farming gold. You want to lose by 100-150 points and draw that out as long as possible while farming gold. Just defend two points and go around ninja capping and 5-man stomping the map. Then when you enter the mid game, zerg windmill. Then you can stomp the map with 3 points, broken respawn timers, and farmed carries.

This exploit works great with super-carries like Yi and KogMaw, because the deck is stacked entirely against the "winning" team. While the enemy team is defending and earning points, your super carries are farming gold and winning the arms race. Once you hit mid-game, your farmed super carries can stomp the map with 10-15s respawn timers and snowball to victory. It's so hilarious how broken this is.

Granted, it takes a somewhat coordinated team to do this, so if you're pub stomping then you have a good chance of winning anyway. Still, it's really, really fun. The few times I've done it, I've just been amazed at 5-10s death timers from zerging and riding the spawn waves.

I don't think Riot is going to fix this anytime soon, so might as well enjoy it!

P.S If you want to cap Windmill in the beginning, do this:

When you get to the windmill, kill someone right away. It's important to kill someone as quickly as possible to start their spawn wave.
After the first kill, burn down the remaining enemies, but don't kill them. Switch targets after an enemy champion gets low.
Make sure you are reckless and suicidal while accomplishing the first two, because you *want* to die. Try to do as much damage as possible before going down, but don't kill more than 1-2 champions.

If done correctly, the enemy will be forced to either /b, or likely die outside of their mates spawn wave. If your team dies within your first mates spawn wave, you will all respawn *very* quickly. You can then freely zerg windmill with a full team of fully healed champions, while the enemy defense is exhausted.

This really works. I do this all the time, and it's likely you have seen this before as well
This was a post by Dizzy Soul in another thread. (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1397170)

I thought it was clever and merited a thread of its own.

Hobocop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2011

If respawning *very* quickly is respawning with a 10 second timer at the least, assuming 3/3 Good Hands and if you actually die within your first teammate's wave, which is enough time for the enemy team to back, buy, and get back to Windmill with time to spare, then yeah, I guess it could work against completely terrible teams.

Backing only takes 4.5 seconds. This 'strategy' only works against teams that don't know how to rotate defenders.

There are absolutely no circumstances where you're going to get a respawn timer of 5 seconds, unless you're Yorick, but that's apparently bugged at the moment, or Karthus.

urmamasllama

10-23-2011

except the logic is flawed and none of what its based on is really true

the problem that a lot of people seem to have is that almost no one understands (or even tries to) the wave respawn system that whole losing team advantage thing is a load of bull

there is nothing in the game that gives the losing team better respawn times... well technically there is a little if you die a lot but it really isn't based on the fact that you are losing at all

you can be winning but if you have a bunch of staggered deaths all the time your respawn times will be better

Phourc

10-23-2011

I'd like to vote it sounds less like respawn exploits and more like superfarmed carries that are winning it for him. Cause you know... who actually farms in dominion other than on enemy champions?

Also, Kog's one of my top bans after the gunblade nerf xP

Taero

10-24-2011

Except the time where a red states that if you're losing by like 100 points your respawn timer is set to be -4 and the enemies is + 4? leaving an 8 second difference?

Krifshan

10-24-2011

It's a possibly interesting strategy.

1. Let opponents take windmill.
2. Bot player farms up as normal.
3. If opponents attempt to push to take your mid, defend, or take windmill/their mid
4. If you get them to defend vigorously, you can have 1 player farming the mid-windmill minions, while threatening with a capture if they leave or threatening with death if they farm themselves
5. On top of that, if they are playing ONLY cap and hold, you can gank their bot a few times, depriving him of gold.
6. Eventually, if you can keep farming while they only defend, you will out-gold them significantly
7. Because you will out-gold them, once you push back and take top, you can play more offensively to prevent the strategy from being used on you so it will be a stomp from then on
8. Not only can you be aggressive top, but because of the ganks on bot, your bot lane will also be won easily

It's important to note that if a skirmish happens over the WM-top minions, you'll be back there 8 seconds+travel diff faster. AND, don't forget the respawn difference is harming your bot too. If you're 250 points ahead, and your bot laner goes down, he's missing out on 8 seconds+travel of gold. So eventually, he too will be outfarmed.

I understand the reason the respawn timers are weighted towards the losing team, but I think it has effects they didn't consider. However, I don't have access to the win-loss records before and after the changes, so I'm assuming Brackhar did his job and I'm just theorycrafting in a vacuum. Most likely, this strategy is just too risky and relies on opponents letting you try this.

The counter strategy is just to farm top minions yourself with a long-range farmer, since they'll push the minions to you anyways if you're not counter-farming them.

Even if this Gold Then Dominate strategy works, you're still down 200 points and you have to play extremely well because you're under the gun, not them.

MrSpaz

10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmamasllama View Post

the problem that a lot of people seem to have is that almost no one understands (or even tries to) the wave respawn system that whole losing team advantage thing is a load of bull

there is nothing in the game that gives the losing team better respawn times... well technically there is a little if you die a lot but it really isn't based on the fact that you are losing at all

you can be winning but if you have a bunch of staggered deaths all the time your respawn times will be better
This is 100% untrue. If there's a large gap between team points, the losing team's respawn timers decreases.

The whole "problem" isn't really a problem on coordinated teams, but please get your facts straight.

Hugs From Momma

10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmamasllama View Post

Either you're trolling or you didn't read Brakhar's thread clearly describing how the system works. The base spawn timer goes lower the further behind you are in points, up to +4 / -4 seconds (-4 seconds for your team, and +4 seconds longer for the enemy team).

Guess the llamatroll is downvoting me...

Cauldrath

10-24-2011

This is a strategy I suggested on another forum way back on the 8th, even before the gold and exp reductions made it better:

Take bot, take mid, take far mid. Bot farms minions. Everyone else farms minions from both sides to top. Kill everyone there, cap with 4 people. (Capping with more people gives you 50 more total gold per person.) 4 go bot, farm the minions, kill the defenders, let them recap top and mid. Go to your mid, farm minions to top and recap with 4 people. Repeat farming to top and bot until your score is low, keeping one person with good pokes in the opposite lane to slow the enemy team and farm once they recap the point. Put 1 farming/defending top, 1 farming/defending bot, with 3 roamers. Hold 3 points until victory, coasting on your gold advantage.