Dorkbrains' Rules For Playing Warwick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dorkbrains

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2010

Hello, my name is Dorkbrains and I am a very big Warwick player, I recently made a guide about how I play him and it can be easily compared to Wazzabi's guide who is pretty much a god at Warwick. Those guides can be found here:

Wazzabi's Guide: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=56450
My Guide: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=86923

I thought that maybe I could go update my guide with the information I want to provide in this thread but figured that everyone that intends on playing Warwick should actually read this so I made it a completely separate thread that hopefully people that don't want to read a guide can still read this and understand the main job of a Warwick. Also, if you made a guide, I really suggest that you really throw the link to this thread into your guide so if they do read a guide that they still get this information in their head before they go out and give Warwick a bad name.

So here goes...

[Dorkbrains' Rules For Playing Warwick]

Disclaimer: I have made this thread for two reasons. Reason one: for myself. Lately I've been a pretty poor Warwick. I've been making silly mistakes, not ganking when I should, not pushing when I should, and not jungling when i should. Reason two: ever since making my guide, the biggest question I usually get asked is, "How do you play once out of the jungle? What do you do? Who do you target?" So, in this thread I hope to not only answer those questions but to improve the quality of both your Warwick and my own.

Rule #1: Gank The Enemy

You're a jungler, ganking is YOUR THING!!!! In my guide, I believe I say that right after I get red buff, I go for a gank, if I didn't say that, I meant to. I jungle the little creeps until level two, get blue buff, get red buff, get level 4, then I go gank. Normally, I like to go to the 2v2 lane and try to get a double kill, this is often because it's a lot easier to win a 3v2 than it is to win a 2v2 without your ultimate. If the enemy has a solo lane, then ****, go to the 1v1 lane and make it a 2v1. I don't like to go mid unless they are having severe issues mainly because I want our mid to get as much exp as possible and as much gold as possible and since I'm ganking with red buff, there is always that chance I'll steal from the mid. But anyways, go to the 2v2 lane and gank them...you don't NEED your ultimate to gank, all you NEED is a red buff imo. It's like having a frozen mallet, and it's soooo easy to just right click/hit Q <.< If the enemy flashes and you can kill them, flash after them. GG.

Rule #2: PUSH THE LANES!!!

Okay, so you're a jungler, I get it. But if you just got a double kill at top and then run back to the jungle to get some more buffs, quite frankly...you're an idiot. Even if somehow, you lived and your other 2 died but there is no enemy in the lane, you should be pushing the tower, I think with just madred's razor, I've killed an entire tower on 1 creep wave (With a cannon minion). You're an extremely powerful tower killer, use this to your advantage. Even if you didn't kill everyone in the lane...if you have teammates behind you, PUSH THE **** TOWER!!! You still have red buff, if the teammate is even half decent, you can probably tower dive and kill the guy anyway!!! Also, don't just push a tower because you ganked, if you see that top or bot just got a kill/double kill, GO THERE AND PUSH!!!! Especially if mid got a kill!!! Omg, that's almost ALWAYS a free tower. Get that **** and own face man!!!! Finally, indirect tower killing is HUGE!!! Unfortunately this will be nerfed next patch when Warwick's team utility is completely stripped from him and his W gets a range but as of right now, if you are at red buff on the bottom of the map and top is pounding on the tower, you should be spamming W until that **** is up.

Rule #3: The Jungle Is Yours. OWN IT!

The biggest thing in the jungle is without a doubt, the dragon. The dragon, if I'm not mistaken respawns every 6 minutes. This means in an average let's say...35 minute game, you should be getting dragon 5 times...at least. That's 1000 experience and 620 gold for your team and although it doesn't seem like a lot...those first 1 or 2 times that you kill dragon, you're helping your team sooo much that you could actually win a game just because you're out-gearing and out-leveling your opponent. The respawn timers on the other buffs are 5 minutes I believe and are also very important. I like to always have blue on my Warwick just because it makes me have that much more survivability in fights since I don't get lifesteal on my Warwick, I have to spam my Q as much as possible. Also, don't JUST get your buffs...go into their jungle as much as you can...you get so much more of an advantage both in level and over the other team as whole if they don't have buffs all game. Especially against a team with Anivia or Fiddlesticks...if you get blue buff all game, they never do, and they are pretty much useless after using their combos or they just can't spam as much, making it that much easier on your team. Same thing goes with enemies like Tristana and Jax with red buff. Get it as much as possible. Finally, the most important thing about playing Warwick especially after getting Madred's Bloodrazor is to realize how easily you can kill Baron Nashor. Although I never suggest soloing him unless you have lifesteal, you can easily kill him with the assistance of a healer or a carry. I've killed Baron with Tristana and I when I only had Bloodrazor, Mercs, and Wit's end, and I've killed Baron with a Soraka when I had only Bloodrazor, it may take a while, but with 3 people still in lane, it's not really that obvious what you're doing. The least amount of gear I've been able to solo baron with was Bloodrazor, Merc's, Wit's End, and Banshees, but again, I don't recommend doing this.

Rule #4: WARD!!!

This is probably the thing that I've been the worst at since I changed the way I play Warwick. I used to rush a Wit's End, not gank until I was six, and slowly make my way to Bloodrazor. But this, in my honest opinion, is stupid. I think that it is 100% necessary to rush a Bloodrazor and some Merc Treads and then start warding. As a jungler, your worst enemies are Wards and stealth champions so countering them is a MUST!!! I've recently started starting with the items, Cloth Armor, 2 HP pots, and 1 ward, and have found this to be extremely successful. If I'm quick enough, I'll ward MY golem, and then head to a mini creep camp. If I'm not, then I ward river. This is because, if the enemy team wards my golem and I get there first, then I will see it, if they get there first (ie. i don't leave base IMMEDIATELY) then I just ward river outside of Blue buff and hope that when I go for it, no one comes. Also, don't always depend on your tanks to buy all the wards. As a jungler, you get a lot of farm, it just comes naturally, so buying wards should almost never be a problem for you. Ward the **** out of the jungle, ward the enemy buffs, ward your buffs, ward the river, ward the lanes/Fiddle spots...WARD EVERYTHING!! Make it your second job (after killing dragon). Also, something that I just recently started is getting sight wards for both baron and dragon. If the enemy team is buying wards to shut you down, then that is where they are warding. I used to stay in jungle/ganking mode until i got 1050 gold. Now I wait for 1200 just so I can vision ward the dragon before I kill it. If there is a ward there, I kill the ward, go jungle a bit and then come back about a minute later. Just a pointer for getting dragon, I always wait for flash to be up so that if the enemy team does come, I
can just flash over the back wall.

Rule #5: Use Your Ultimate...correctly.

This one is even more obvious than everything else so it's going to be short. DO NOT ULT THOSE WITH CLEANSE!!! For the love of god, it's not even the fact that you basically stun yourself (which is getting fixed next patch. woot). It's more that if they cleanse, then you just wasted your ult to do maybe ONE hit IF you're lucky. Good job, you're now complete **** when it comes time to fight. This also includes not ulting those who are spellshielded, have Banshees active, or ulting Gangplanks. Use your brain here. It's not hard!!! Also, don't waste your Ult on a tank. I mean come on, that's dumber than ulting someone with cleanse. Just don't do it and save yourself from the onslaught of insults from your team. Also, don't be afraid to save your ult. If your team is owning, then save it for that one person that wants to run or something, but just don't use it on someone who can't be affected by it. If you know that the person's cleanse is down, then go ahead, but often times it's never worth it to waste it.

Rule #6: Team Fight....correctly.

Warwick really isn't a huge team fighter and I think anyone who plays him can admit to this; however, he is NOT worthless in a team fight. His W is a spammable skill that I often may get off twice in a team fight and it does the same thing Sivir's ult does only you don't get the movement speed! However, contrary to what many people may thing about Warwick's ult, it's one of the most IMPORTANT things in a team fight. Let's imagine that an Ashe stuns the enemy carry from long range for 2 seconds dealing what 600 damage or something? Okay, now imagine the same thing, only the damage dealer is already there at the fight, and the damage is doubled. That's basically what Warwick is. Only problem being is he is NOT the initiator. Let me say that again. Warwick IS NOT THE INITIATOR IN ANY TEAM FIGHT!!! EVER!!!! I play him in as the second one in, last one out kind of guy. I let the Singed or Alistar run in, start the fight, get everyone going/blowing their CC, and then I ult in on the carry (remembering to follow rule 5) and just deal as much damage as i can with my ult -> Q -> auto attack combo as I can. Hopefully, once you stun the carry, your team helps you. But if not, you just do what you can, using Q to stay alive. Also, something that is VERY important is that you don't keep changing targets. Since I build no lifesteal, attacking the same target as long as possible is important so that I can have my passive at max stacks (which is 4x the constant I believe) it's not much, but it's more than nothing. After the carry is dead, I go for either the healers or casters or just whoever is dealing the most damage at the time, tanks always last, obviously. Sometimes, instead of a carry, you may want to target the healer first. If your team has a lot of AoE, I find that getting a healer first is pretty important so that the AoE doesn't go to waste, if you are burst, I like to save as much burst as I can for the carries and the rest for the healers, but if you are sustained damage, I almost always want to get the healer first just because it's annoying to get them low just to see them heal before that last hit. But this is somehting you decide with your team from game to game. IT IS NEVER THE SAME!!! EVEN IF YOU GO AGAINST THE SAME LINE UP!!! BASE YOUR TEAMFIGHT ORDER OFF OF HOW FED THE ENEMY IS!!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Well I think that's all for now. I'm tired and feel like going to bed so I'm not gonna write more but as I come up with stuff I will add it to this list. I hope that this has helped both new Warwick players and old ones and I know most of this is pretty much common sense but just based off questions and observations I fealt that saying some of this stuff was beyond necessary. Again, if you do have any questions, go ahead and add me in game and ask any to me on there whenever I'm online. Also, I'm going to make a reserved reply for F.A.Q.s just in case.

Good luck and have fun.

- Dorkbrains

dorkbrains

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2010

Reserved for F.A.Q. and possible future information.

ozenenz

04-26-2010

i disagree with dorkbrains because he has tiny balls.

Cynai

04-26-2010

So much rage in this thread

dorkbrains

04-27-2010

bump. any warwick player comments/additional things anyone would like to add?

etherkye

04-30-2010

Dancing in the middle lane while dressed as a granny is a sure fire way to receive insults from your opponent.

dorkbrains

04-30-2010

lmao. if it wasn't so important to get to your jungle before your opponents do...i'd add to the rules that every warwick should dance in the middle lane :P

dorkbrains

06-02-2010

just played a bad warwick. read this if you play warwick. NOW.

Calcabrina

06-02-2010

what do you do if there's no gank available? often when I play warwick, my team has pushed the enemy way back close to their towers, so I can't even reach them before they're in tower range. normally I go find some more jungle creeps but without some kills you can fall behind on levels and exp pretty quickly. so if your team has pushed the enemy too far back for a gank in any lane, what do you do?

Sheriff

Recruiter

06-03-2010

Perhaps dragon if you haven't already, or help the team push a vulnerable tower.