Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Items Riot will never make.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

axesandspears

10-01-2011

Having trouble finding the original person's post.

Items Riot will NEVER make

MIRROR ITEMS IN GENERAL! YOU SHOULD NEVER MAKE A POST SPECIFICALLY TO ASK FOR A MIRROR ITEM!

Magic Thornmail: The closest thing you will ever get is Odyn's Veil, Magic damage runs on slightly different mechanics than physical damage, and there is a chance of an infinite loop with a magic thornmail. Riot will never approve an anti-magic thornmail.

AP Atma's: Riot doesn't want Mirror items. Deathcap is the closest thing you'll ever get.

AD Deathcap: See above. Replace Deathcap with Atma's in the text.

Anti-Crit: While this mechanic sounds interesting, it would be difficult to implement, and we already have armor for that.

Anti-magic high health item: Again no. Magic damage intended to come in burst, and therefore it is hard countered by both health and magic resistance. Items that combine the two could create a problem. Banshee's veil and Odyn's Veil are the best magic resistance+health items that will ever be available. Edit: Force of Nature is of course the best "Magic Resistance" item in the game, but when you only consider "Flat Health and Magic Resistance", Banshee's and Odyn's are about as strong as they can possibly be without breaking the game.
Ap Tiamat: possible loop effect, difficult to work with, spells can be aoe already. Not gonna happen.

Stackable Sunfire Items: Riot specifically changed sunfire cape to remove this problem.

Flash Boots: We already have flash and don't want boots that everyone must take.

Courier: You have an inventory and a shop, you can teleport to base to buy. This is an unnecessary idea.

Dodge item besides Ninja Tabi: For those of you who don't know, Riot hates the dodge mechanic and wants to remove it anyway. It is probably only going to come as slow gradual changes, but there is a chance that it will be removed as a mechanic from this game. For now, expect only runes and masteries and some champions to have it, expect some of those champions to lose it like nidalee did.

True damage anti-tank item for SR: While these items do exist in dominion, dominion is centered around capturing objectives and being able to kill eachother in a short time. A different set of rules apply between dominion and Summoner's Rift, where an item that deals true damage based on opponents defenses would just make certain champions unviable. While acceptable in Dominion, this item would almost certainly break Summoner's Rift.

Hard CC on items: Hard cc is for champion abilities, adding it to an item would make the item a must have for certain champions and could break the game.

Items that reduce a stat to increase another: Reducing stats in general is something that comes out of rpg games. Some of the items for those games require you to sacrifice in one stat for an unusually large increase in another. The issue is that if you don't need a stat for a champion to be effective, (ap or crit on some champions for example) you won't have it in the first place. This means that items that reduce that one stat and buff your main stats alot would be cheaper with no penalty anyway.

Stat Converters: Riot has only 3 of these, Manamune, Atma's Impaler, and Archangel's Staff. Atma's Impaler is currently overpowered to some extent, at the combine cost for the damage bonus it should have an average of 25 damage, not 50. Archangel's is balanced only by the few choices of items in the game with flat mana (1 build for Ryze example), and their relatively high costs or uselessness for certain champions. Manamune provides ad which is not desireable on Mages, is unique, and is generally the only mana item on the physical dps it is made for. Stat converters are generally hard to balance, a stat converter using armor/magicresist/ap/damage will never be made, nor should be.

Energy Items: Energy champions have very short cooldowns that are balanced only by a resource with a long recovery time. You can get enough max energy or energy regen from runes to deal with most energy issues, any more than that would break the discussed champion.

Stealth Items: Stealth a tricky mechanic to balance, and champions that aren't designed around stealth shouldn't get it at all.

Range Increasing Item: Ok ranged carries, imagine this on Xin.

New Doran's Items: With the exception of Dominion version or new versions for other new game modes. These will always be limited.

Basic Spell vamp item: Mages are meant to do damage and have many good survivability based pieces already compared to dps, spell vamp can also provide more ridiculous healing than lifesteal, take for example the fact that Riot had to reduce it to 30% effectiveness on aoe effects and Morganna's up-coming/recent depending on when you read this spell vamp nerf.

Upgrades for medium game or max tier items: There will likely be some exceptions to this, but they will be exceptions, don't just ask for them it is really annoying. On this note, don't ask for more brutalizer, Warden's Mail, etc upgrade items.

Ad DeathfireGrasp: ...... Mirror item, you aren't burst dependent as an ad.

XP generating Item.

Anti-AoE item

Permanent Stealth Detection items, including activates and wards.

Bloodrazor for mages.......Most mages are burst-damage oriented, so there is no point to adding a % health damage bonus to each spell. It would likely make them overpowered if it were ever implemented. Or the % could be very low so that it is still overpowered on spammers like cass or anyone with a poison, but completely useless on burst mages.

Ultimate buffing item: All ultimates already scale in some way either with ap, ad, general damage, or toughness. And of course they scale with cooldown reduction. Viktor may be or become an exception, but that is only because he is specially designed with his own item, and as far as I know he can only buff his non-ultimate abilities.

I will continue to update this list as I am reminded of other stupid ideas. I will also keep this post visible when I post on the forumns to ensure people remember this ****.

Here's a hint, when suggesting an item, if it requires a new mechanic to be added to the game it is probably a bad idea. Try to suggest items that work within the boundaries of existing mechanics without introducing new stats. Tenacity was suggested in this way, but remember that Mercury Treads already had this effect, so it wasn't a new mechanic, just broadening a current one.

EDIT: Adding another Update. This one is so HUGE I am afraid to add it to the first page, so it's the second post on page 10. Here's the link: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...+never&page=10 (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1305323&highlight=items+riot+never&page=10)

AntiTcb

10-01-2011

AD Deathcap is being considered. It's been code named B.F.F. sword and brought up a few times by Guinsoo. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1293793

Also, you left out Flash Boots and Courier.

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

10-01-2011

More AP/Defense items. The reason there are so few is because of almost all tanks having all AP ratios.

Items with hard CC. Slows are the best you'll get from an item.

Items that mimic Flash. One Flash is bad enough.

axesandspears

10-01-2011

Quote:
AntiTcb:
AD Deathcap is being considered. It's been code named B.F.F. sword and brought up a few times by Guinsoo. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1293793

Also, you left out Flash Boots and Courier.

Next time you want to make a point using a post, use a post that helps. This post you listed says @Guinsoo, but Guinsoo does not comment. This does not prove that Guinsoo is considering or has brought up this item idea at all.

Added Flash boots and Courier, thanks for the reminder.

AntiTcb

10-01-2011

Quote:
axesandspears:
Next time you want to make a point using a post, use a post that helps. This post you listed says @Guinsoo, but Guinsoo does not comment

This enough for you? http://twitter.com/#!/RiotGuinsoo/status/93852046259785728

axesandspears

10-01-2011

Quote:
AntiTcb:
This enough for you? http://twitter.com/#!/RiotGuinsoo/status/93852046259785728

This makes more sense to me yes. So they might be or have been considering it for Dominion if not for SR. I will still wait for a red post mentioning this item before I remove it from the list though.

On second thought, I think that was a joke.

Wiseman Silo

10-01-2011

Banshee's Veil the best mr item? That shield's been nerfed so many times and so many champions have weak abilities they can just spam. I think Force of Nature is better. it has a higher MR a movement speed increase and a HP regain buff that stacks with spirit visage.

Banshee's WAS better but they nerfed that shield to dust. I'd rather have the stats on FoN

tsolias7

10-01-2011

What about items that reduce one of your stats to vastly increase another one? Has riot said anything about it?

Naokazu

10-01-2011

Quote:
axesandspears:
Magic Thornmail: The closest thing you will ever get is Odyn's Veil, Magic damage runs on slightly different mechanics than physical damage, and there is a chance of an infinite loop with a magic thornmail. Riot will never approve an anti-magic thornmail.

While I don't dispute that we will most likely never see this, I disagree with your reasoning. It would be simple enough to make it return damage from abilities, opposed to magic damage, similar to the difference between lifesteal and spell vamp.

N0vaFlame

10-01-2011

you forgot hard CC active, and energy items.

Also, here is my original thread.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1254718