Easiest Champions? Most Viable Champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gurglingemu

06-07-2010

Begin Wall of Text:

It's hard to look in a thread that pertains to champion balance and not see somebody complaining about Ashe or Jax, or the most viable support or tank of the month. It seems like people just let their emotions (and their choice in purchases) dictate their view on champion balance far too much. Before you begin reading the beefy stuff, please realize that this is all MY opinion.

So please, next time you post about champion balance, think about these points:

Easy Champions:
There is no such thing as an easy champion. Doing well in League of Legends has far more to do with understanding game mechanics and team play than it has to do with the champion you pick. Picking Ashe doesn’t guarantee your team a win, nor does it guarantee you a good score. What does guarantee you a good score is a lot of practice and an understanding of what to expect from your opponent. Champion difficulty plays only a small part in the overall picture.

This is why former DOTA players had such a big advantage over new players in the first months when the game came out. It’s not because they all played pre-nerf Twitch or Jax. It is because they knew when to fight, when to run, how to communicate, and a plethora of other skills that gave them an edge.

The Best and the Worst:
There will always be a best carry and a worst carry. There will always be a best tank and a worst tank. There will always be a best support champion and a worst support champion. Continuously demanding that the statistically “worst” or “best” champion be nerfed or buffed will do nothing but shift the position to a new champion, which the community will complain about until different champions replace the worst and best. There will ALWAYS be a most viable carry / support / tank.

Skills That Take Skill:
The skill difference between an “easy” champion and a “difficult” champion is very small. As I said before, understanding how the game plays and having experience is far more valuable than picking an auto-attacking champion. So what if it took you only a few games to learn how to play Ashe or Jax well, while it took you ten games to learn Anivia. That is irrelevant as both lead to the same end – a champion that you play well.

That said, the difference in skill also extends to champion skills. Maybe I can land a single skill shot as Ashe and then auto attack someone to death. Is it that much harder than playing Ezreal and landing 2 or 3 skillshots? No, it’s not – especially when skill shots have large hit-boxes and move at fast speeds.

Have you ever asked yourself how much skill it takes to press four buttons? Not a whole lot. Do some champions have harder-to-use four buttons than others? You bet, but the difference isn’t huge and pressing Q R W ( while aiming one of them) isn’t much harder than pressing R W and auto-attacking.

Buffing Complex Heroes:
Making complex champions superior to simple champions would cripple serious League of Legends play. Simply put, if Riot made complex champions better, you would stop seeing any of the easy or even moderately "difficult" champions being played on serious teams. *POOF* - There goes half of League’s champions from high ELO play because they are unviable compared to the “difficult” champions. Did I mention that this would also reduce the variety in champions you play with and against?

Increasing Complexity:
Making simple champions more complex is pointless and annoying. Aside from making the game even more unappealing to new players, this kind of change would simply inconvenience anyone playing formally simple champions. You made Garen more complex? Great, it will take Garen players an entire hour to learn how to play him as well as they did before or maybe they will have to push an extra button during a team fight. Like I said, it just an inconvenience.

TL; DR - Nerfing "easy" champions is a bad idea. Buffing "difficult" champions is a bad idea. The difference between an easy and hard champion is very small. X champion will always be more viable than Y champion.

Have an issue with something I typed? -> Please address it, but there is no need to flame. I will happily discuss or debate anything related to the post in a civil manner.

LilDrood

06-07-2010

But then the other team has Shen and you lose.

PainCakesx

06-07-2010

I agree that this game can never be 100% balanced. But, it should be as close to balanced as possible. For example, would you prefer this game be as it was before TF and Twitch were patched?

I think that the community should complain about champions that are imbalanced. Complaints are how things get done - if nobody says a word, then no improvements will be made.

DiveMePls

06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
I agree that this game can never be 100% balanced. But, it should be as close to balanced as possible. For example, would you prefer this game be as it was before TF and Twitch were patched?

I think that the community should complain about champions that are imbalanced. Complaints are how things get done - if nobody says a word, then no improvements will be made.

There is a different between justified and not justified complains.

For example: 'Nerf Jax, he can take on an entire team solo and emerge largely unscratched' would be a justified complaint, that can be adressed by the design team.

However, something like 'Nerf Jax, he's the best carry' ist just plain bad QQ (too much of this on the forums lately). In any group of non identical things, one will be the best.

Gurglingemu

06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarPilot View Post
However, something like 'Nerf Jax, he's the best carry' ist just plain bad QQ (too much of this on the forums lately). In any group of non identical things, one will be the best.

Yes, this is more of what I was aiming for.

SnizzleStick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-26-2011

i think the reason why teams fail is the line up. most teams i see win always have a cc, always have an ap. or a tank with cc. mordes not a tank and i seen teams fail using him as one cuz the dude has no ap. all champs can be beaten and countered. its the line up that matters. like i play tristana, i fail with any other champ but support when i get a lane. i havent lost yet in my lane with trist having soraka by my side. had blitz grab me, had ashe arrows, had tf stuns, its all about the match up on lanes. i even owned a really good malph with a ap carry just having a really good support with me.

Jakeem

Recruiter

10-31-2011

All champs require practise, its just how much u want to practise with a certain champ