AP or AD TF?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lawful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2010

So i've been trying to figure out TF recently and tried AP build but it doesn't seem to work out in the least, he feels too underpowered. Its really not enough burst start game, has like no attack speed, no crits, no nothing and needs to be heavily fed to be semi-decent later game while having atleast 10 stacks of mejas.
But problem is that its not that easy mid-high elo games since people won't just let you kill them off with that low damage you deal.

Anyways could you guys help me out with some good advice what builds should i try with him?
I tried several builds starting from shen and guisa, to tarting with boots and whatever. But like i said, you really do feel underpowered unless your lucky and get a couple of kills early game.

So i was wondering how does AD do in that aspect and could you suggest me the builds that worked for you so far?

willFEEDforIP

06-06-2010

I play mainly on EU server and TF is my main.
There are 2 ways to build him

AD is my fav because its easy to get some kills and i recomend it.
1. item is dorans blade
2. recall and take zerkers boots and lifesteal
3.recall and take malady
4.racall and buy BF sword
5. finish inf edge
TF is glass cannon so ull die late game and theres no frost mallet that will save u so dont even bother when u master him it will be no porblem. Always take mid its a must, take E and Q always u dont need wild cards. When u get 3 stack on E throw it in olayers face and over and over again E is also great farming skill so u will love it.

AP i didnt play much with it but those wild cards can hit like 3t bricks of steel
1.dorans ring
2.sheen
maybe get mejais only if u mastered TF
3.nashors tooth
4.lichbane
5. zonhyas ring
u can always replace nashors tooth with Rageblade

Arazu

06-06-2010

dont take malady, or zerkers greaves. you dont need the attack speed, stack more AD

ap doesnt work as well as it used to these days, his ratio's are pretty low, late game if youre fed you can get some decent burst but its just not as efficient as an AD TF

willFEEDforIP

06-06-2010

I dont agree malady bad its cheap option and is good at early game because u want to deliver as much stacked deck in short time. This build work very well for me 20+ kill every game. after inf edge go bloodthirster. You need atack speed too since you are squshy and u want to hit target as much while its under gold card.

Terchio

06-06-2010

TF is one of the few I would actually focus on attack speed over attack damage. The more attack speed, the more often you proc the passive. I personally get Nashor's and rageblade rather than choose, as it adds tremendously to AP, attack speed, and even a li'l bit of damage thrown in. They're both hybrid dps/caster items, and I find he uses the ap well on passive procs, as well as on lich bane, if you decide to go that route.

As far as AP vs AD, I would vote AP. Lich Bane gets nuts good quickly since he has 2 spells with very low cooldowns... I think 3.6 seconds at minimum for both. that means a lot of usage on the lich bane, and the possibility for some massive damage rapidfire.

Also, it's no secret that TF is often first focused in team battles. When too many heroes crawl in to take you out, you can use Zhonya's to turn invuln quickly while they often don't even attack, as they still aim at focusing you, and if you're still in danger once the ring wears off, you can flash to a better spot toward the allies to make them walk right thru what they climbed over to get to ya. If you're successful enough, they might just stop focusing you because it's overkill getting to you. You can try the bloodthirster method of survival, but I have my doubts about it in team scuffles.

Benadryl Jackson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2010

Stacking attack speed heavily on TF is bad. Don't believe me? Believe the math:

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...What+Is+Better.

I also recommend my guide:

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...0Jackson%20Way

Arazu

06-06-2010

you will do more damage if you build AD than if you just rely on stacked deck procs

and dont buy malady, if anything buy starks fervor, only costs like 700(?) more and its a LOT better

Terchio

06-06-2010

First off, as willFEEDforIP mentioned, a smart TF would harass with Stacked Deckprocs, so you can't discount them, especially early game, when harassing is at its best. The procs aren't as good without AP, which you can get from Nashor's, not to mention the attack speed and cooldown reduction set to 40% on one item.

Second, I'm not certain I can find actual math done in that first link you gave me, and the second I doubt is any better. As for the first, none of the figures deal with buffed procs, and always deal with procs LESS THAN 1 IN 4... That's the whole point of picking attack speed on TF in the first place. He hits procs more than 1 in 4 if you are playing him decently smart.

To go along with this errored math, you also have critical chances as they were pre-patch. The crit chance drop is going to effect attack damage folk more because guess what... your attack damage is much higher... And which items won the author over? Last Whisper, Youmuu's Ghostblade, and Infinity Edge... 2 of which have crit, the other nerfed in dmg this past patch, so I doubt they still hold their reign. However, even if they do, 2 of them have attack speed buffs. Heh...

The guide overall says you can't go pure attack speed, which is hardly true in the case of the Bloodrazor build, but at any rate, it only says that dmg + attack speed is the way to go, but it doesn't even delve into AP + cooldown reduction with attack speed along with a Lich Bane proc on spells. The whole guide is basically a 'DPS in general' guide, and poorly depicts that as well, as though the Last Whisper was predominantly a damage item...

Also, where is Guinsoo's rageblade in the guide? Youmuu's was stuck in there with its 4 sec boost even though it's a 5 second attacking sample, but no filled rageblade? That's 35 damage and 32% improved attack speed, plus a ton of AP, all for only 2235 gold. That's awful close to the cost of the Last Whisper, but balanced on dmg and attack speed instead of being mostly attack speed. The guide is incomplete.

Arazu

06-06-2010

you need a whole bunch of AP to make any difference to stacked deck, its got a pretty low ratio

as for building AS, stacked deck grants it as you level it up, you only need like last whisper or something similar and youll have all the AS you need

and ofc you dont discount stacked deck, it does a whole bunch of damage, especially early game and its great for harrasing, but you dont need to build up loads of AS to make effective use of it

Terchio

06-06-2010

The AP ratios appear dreadfully small, but when proced in fewer than 4 seconds, they add up quick. Also, the AP will help his other skills, which also have small AP ratios, but also have next to no cooldown on them. drop the cooldowns to minimum, say with a nashor's tooth, and you're in business.

This of course beside the fact that lower cooldowns = better use of Sheen/Lich bane, which works quite well with the low cooldowns. Even Trinity force...