Leona in Dominion (Guide)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dejicide

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2011

Explosively effective! It decides heavily on her build for damage, though, but she brings good AOE damage and survivability to any fight (and that isn't even counting her control/utility). Coupled with Garrison she can attack/defend a tower while outnumbered, specifically if you have just one friend with you. I find myself being able to demolish lots of the top picks 1v1, 2v2, and sometimes 1v2 like so. She shines even brighter when big fights happen but even solo she is to be feared!

Start with a Kindlegem, Boots, and pots: you will be rushing Windmill with your friends and show up a few seconds late. But its okay! You will throw yourself into the fight with your W and E and wreck that team fight like no-one's business. If no-one had initiated yet then that's your job: the Kindlegem will help you get extra moves off while taking a couple extra hits when you really need it while the boots will let you move around freely. Remember to quaff those pots you bought during the fight to remain there!

Hopefully you've won the fight and your team has Windmill. Stay there as long as humanly possible and defend until you either die or people come to relieve you. When you finally go back you should get yourself Mercury Treds and start on a Sunfire Cape (health first) and then immediately go on defense wherever your team needs you; however, I do not recommend crossing the map towards the enemy team's middle or bottom. Its actually a better idea to sit at "home" and wait for a big push or attempt on your tower (or attacking a node close to home if you've lost it) than going that far out of your way when your side should be the focus by your team anyway. Remember to try to predict enemy movements and don't catch yourself more than a node away from where the enemy is attacking!

I won't get into defending strategy any more than that and instead focus on Leona's build and explain why. Also, please don't hate until you try it. This build makes her durable and gives her good splash damage when used right. If you're against a team with stealthies (see the Kindlegem upgrade) you'll usually obliterate them when you come to interrupt their back-capping attempt, too.

Must-Haves:
So we've already got you a Kindlegem, Merc Treds, and Sunfire Cape. If they have a stealthy (Shaco, Eve, Twitch, Akali, and even Talon or Teemo) then you want to build a Hextech Sweeper from that Kindlegem. If they don't then just hang onto it, you can build a Reverie later on. Next up is a Abyssal Scepter since it will increase your magic resistance and amp the damage on all of your moves, not to mention Sunfire Cape. If I need to say it remember that it makes your friends hit harder with magic, too, because of the magic pen aura.

Optional Stuff:
I like to get a Reverie at this point if I didn't turn my Kindlegem into a Hextech Sweeper. It lets me stay on defense as long as I want and the active is nice for emergencies like sprinting to a node because Yi or Rammus just rolled up and started capping it. Did you turn it into a Hextech Sweeper because there was a sweeper? Good! Leona is best played and picked for the ability to make stealthies cry in Dominion. Next, I suggest a Odyn's Veil since it will round out your defense some more and give you more AOE damage that your Abyssal Scepter will just love. Last thoughts on other optional stuff would include Thornmail (more magic damage). Basically if you buy something that doesn't both help you live and help kill people at the same time you're doing it wrong.

That's all! I've seen Leona hated on a lot since I've been reading about and playing Dominion and since she's my favorite champ I had to find a way for it to work... and work it does! You will blow **** up and laugh aloud while doing it, especially against lots of the high-damage and low-defense (also mobility) champions out there since instead of hitting you they will be getting bursted down and made to stand there and take it instead of hitting you (or your friends) effectively. Give it a few games and let me know what you think: remember to play aggressively but don't try to cap nodes alone!

piece 0f crap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2011

Can you go into detail about your runes/mast/summoners?

Also: Skill order?

The Magus

09-29-2011

Very nice. I've been seeing lots of effective supports and tanks on the enemy team in Dom, and I'm a huge Leona fan in SR, so glad to see people using her well in CS.

I only have one question: your guide needs to cover how to deal with idiots at champ select who shout "NO SUPPORT!". 9/10 games when our team is 4/5 melee DPS and I try and pick one, it's always and immediate crying storm, followed by me giving in and usually our team not doing any better for it >_<

Dejicide

09-29-2011

I actually only have 2 rune set-ups and I was pretty cheap with them. I 've been using magic pen (reds and quints), and ability power (blues), and health (yellows) as runes for this and masteries are 9/21/0 (up to magic pen on offense and a point into Exhaust) and a pretty standard Defense tree with a point out of atk speed/ability power for the Garrison mastery. Exhaust and Garrison spells: using them both on someone trying to take your tower is absolutely hilarious!

Skill order is WWE to start. Max that damage output and make sure you snag people trying to escape the Windmill battle with E. Level 4 I get Q and leave it there while prioritizing W and E through the game. Q is a great skill but the utility and power of leveling it just doesn't compete with her shield and zenith.

As for people complaining about supports and tanks... as soon as you get your abyssal scepter and sunfire cape they'll start respecting you as you'll start really wrecking everything you run with a few exceptions (but E generally makes up for it by being able to latch onto Kog, et cetra.). If you're still playing with people that don't want supports or tanks in the game then I don't know what to tell you. Try playing draft mode: I started running into better players and team compositions as soon as I left blind pick.