Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I knew Heimerdinger was gonna be good in Dom...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WaxPaper

09-29-2011

...but ****, I haven't had this much fun playing Heimer in a long time. But even though I've been playing since launch, I'm still pretty green (off and on casual player)... Anyone got any good advice for playing Heimerdinger in Dom, like strategies, builds, gear sets, etc?

And I kinda feel like an ingrate for asking this, but any Heimer fans know if he's still due for an update? It's been forever since he was tweaked... On the flip side, anyone think he's too good in Dom and due for a nerf? Thanks!

Cryswar

09-29-2011

I think that Heimer is going to be a really hard champ to balance, even moreso than in the past. He's a bit underwhelming on Rift, but counters the current tanky derps meta of Scar SO WELL than any buffs would just take him from amazing to impossible to dislodge on Scar.

Anyways, I've been having a similar experience with him. SO FUN. Much moreso than Rift. General Heimerderper plan: protect bot. Push bot. Don't get ganked. Don't die. If you must die, do it under your turret and take two of them with you to hell. You can pretty effortlessly defend bot against 1-2 champs, 3 if they're bad/you're REALLY good at kiting, but don't suicide; you can push bot without extending too much, then push hard and cap if you see everyone else somewhere else on the map. Ironically, he's one of the closest things Dominion has to an actual laner - though pusher heim is DEVASTATING, and if you can spare a moment from defense you should be pushing.

Itemization is, like everyone on dominion, incredibly situational - but Zhonya's is ridiculously good on him, Rabadon's too. Ninja Tabi are an amazing option against tanky derps teams, though otherwise yeah merc treads. Frozen Heart gives amazing CDR, mana, and armor to keep you alive and in the fight forever. Abyssal Scepter is a possibility if you want dual-stat stuff, though frankly I'd probably go Odyn's Veil more for the HP+MR combo. Rylai's is amazing for tankiness and douchiness; semi-spammable aoe ranged slow with rocket spam is amazingly obnoxious to deal with, and REALLY helps you when trying to kite a Xin around your turrets under a point turret.

Hobocop

09-29-2011

Heimer is probably just fine. He can be counterpicked by picking champs with good ranged abilities that can safely clear his turrets. The current popular strat of facerolling all-melee champs with no ranged abilities to speak of makes Heimer a strong defensive pick.

Wolfalisk

09-29-2011

To be honest, I don't see how Heimer is hard to balance. You just have to play smart. Any DPS character can dive into both the point turret and his turrets, and kill him and be done with it. The part people forget to do is bait the Concussion Grenade BEFORE you dive him...because yes, if you get stunned you're going to get wrecked by the defense turret and his ulted ice turrets.

Tale Feather

09-29-2011

I don't know why people have such problems with Herm.

Honestly what most people lack against him is range. Kayle does decently against him, especially if I can get in a good dive to kill him and his turrets in one shot.

Cass, the champion I'm learning currently, does extremely well, the range on her poison and her spells just tears through his turrets and wears him down. He can't push effectively by the time you start itemizing well.

It's just that not everyone has learned to vary teams yet, so it makes for a hard fight when he's defending turrets and you've got no decent ranged. Or he's pushing against someone with limited AoE.

He'll stop seeming so OP once people settle into the game more. But he'll still be powerful overall. And I'm glad.

LilDrood

09-29-2011

Quote:
ZergSwarms:
To be honest, I don't see how Heimer is hard to balance. You just have to play smart. Any DPS character can dive into both the point turret and his turrets, and kill him and be done with it. The part people forget to do is bait the Concussion Grenade BEFORE you dive him...because yes, if you get stunned you're going to get wrecked by the defense turret and his ulted ice turrets.

The problem is that people are beyond stupid. They take out his two turrets and then dive his face while ignoring the fact that he can usually just drop another two turrets instantly.

He's tricky to fight against but honestly I find AP Shaco or Akali harder to fight against, and they aren't even "OP" as I'm finding the more I play.

Cryswar

09-29-2011

Quote:
ZergSwarms:

I apologize for unclearness. Heimer as he is is fine, I think - but buffing him into being good on Rift would mean making him OBSCENE on Scar. He is effectively countered by Nunu and a fair number of long-ranged characters, though.

As for the rest of your points: Heimer thrives off of people with your mindset. So many folks see a half hp heimer at a turret, go to dive him, and then he ults+zhonya's+garrisons, exhausts if he has it/is a complete ass, and they die without ever having gotten to kill him, because Zhonya's has good armor and Frozen Heart+Rylai's makes him borderline tanky. Baiting grenade against a competent heimer is not nearly as easy as you're making it out to be. Any half-competent heimer will just rocket harass, and if he has to grenade to clear a wave he isn't going to be waiting in front of the turret for you - and it has a fairly short cooldown anyways with CDR from ult/Heart.

Sidt

09-29-2011

garrison and ghost

start with merc threads or ninja tabi

WotA
Hourglass/Abyssal Scepter
Abyssal Scepter/Hourglass (whichever you didn't get before)
Deathcap
Rylai

the goal is to be as much as a pain to kick off of windmill as possible.

Krom

09-29-2011

Heimer is easy to counter.

But this community... ya know.

Cryswar

09-29-2011

Quote:
Krom:
Heimer is easy to counter.

But this community... ya know.

But... but... clearly I should be able to easily kill him with Trynd and Yi and stuff! Why would I ever want to pick a long-ranged character like Cass or Cait that just chew through his turrets effortlessly?