Singe: Mage Tank and Initiator

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DT777

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2009

Ok, lots of changes have come by, we have tt in matchmaking now, I think it's time for me to update this guide.

Spells

Q Poison Trail
Your bread and butter. Your farm skill. Your main source of DPS. Your early game harasser, and a useful ability to get people to stop chasing you. Poison trail costs a whopping 13 mana per second. At all levels. Not certain on the exact AP gain, but I believe it's .3*AP. You will farm wave after wave of creeps and accidentally ks at least five kills with this.

W Mega Adhesive
A large AoE slow. Stays in an area for five seconds slowing anything that goes through it massively. Very useful late game. Can help your team pull out of a bad fight or keep escaping enemy heroes in range.

E Toss
Your main initiator. Mana cost goes up with level, but it has a 1:1 AP gain. Tosses a unit over Singe's shoulder, hopefully into your team. Takes a little getting use to, before you're able to aim the toss where you want to go, but it's a fairly simple skill.

R Insanity Potion
Insanity potion does a couple of things for you: it boosts your dps to respectable levels, gives you decent hp and mana regeneration, increases your armor to help you tank more, and gives you additional movement speed. If you use the build I do, you should be at ~520 ms with lvl 3 potion. IIRC. In any case, no one is going to be running you down and no one is going to be running away from you while this is up. Oh, and you'll have enough mana regen to just leave poison trail on. Which is nice.

Empowered Bulwark
Singe's passive, and what makes him a great mage tank. You get .25 hp for each point of mp.

Pre-Game

Runes
Personally, I like stacking either some mana or mana regeneration + spell resist, and throwing 3 of the move speed runes in my quintessence slots. Armor and HP regeneration are nice choices too. About the only thing essential in your Rune build are the move speed runes. You need three of them. Always.

Mastery

My preferred mastery build for Singe is 0/9/21. I make sure to grab the additive mana regeneration, extra MS, gold/10s, specifically. You want the MS talent. Trust me. Then I grab the the spell resistance, the armor, and 2 levels of the HP regen increase in defensive, and the damage reduction.

Also make sure to grab the 8% bonus ms on ghost. Ghost has saved me more times than I can count, and gotten me more kills than that.

Summoner Abilities

Edit: I now grab Ghost and make sure to get the Ghost mastery. 40% ms for 14s is a lot better for singed than a blink. Still get cleanse, though you can swap it out for flash.

In-Game

Ability Progression
R > Q > E > W
Though feel free to grab Toss on level one if you think it will net you a kill. On Twisted Tree line, you'll definitely want to grab toss first if you plan on doing the whole lvl 1 team battle.

Starting Items
Regrowth Pendant - SR, TT if you're not doing team battle

Or

Fort Pot
Ward
2x Health pots

Early Game

You'll probably want someone in the lane with you, as there are other heroes that can use the solo lane better than Singed.

But Singed is perfectly capable of soloing. And if you get solo laned up against a couple of squishy heroes without very good lane control? Let's just say when this happens, I tend to end up 6-7 levels above everyone else while people cry "Singed OP."

Drop a small amount gas on the creeps each wave, push to the enemy tower, let it kill your creeps, then gas the enemy creeps as you fall back to your next wave. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. And if you see an opportunity, pop ghost and toggle poison and toss your target back towards an ally or just into your creeps. Early kills are always nice. If you get low, bait the enemy close to your tower, throw them in range, and gas for an easy kill.

I've done this so many times it isn't funny. Don't be afraid to do a little tower diving early, especially if you're six and you have boots of swiftness. You can dive in and toss them out of the towers range, then go back and beat on them. Just don't be stupid about it. If it's going to take a bit more than lvl 1 toss and a few ticks of lvl 3 poison to kill them, you may want to hold off. Towers hit hard and Singed doesn't exactly have the most starting HP for a tank.

As soon as you have enough for boots (mercurial or swiftness, depending on enemy team comp) and the health portion of catalyst, make a trip back then start farming again.

Early to Mid Game

End Game

Counters: Who to Watch Out For

Summary

Item Build

NjalofTWFame

08-26-2009

This is not enough mega adhesive. I don't think the damage gain on toss is worth the loss of snare on mega adhesive.

bountardos

08-27-2009

I find Mega Adhesive not to be so effective early game, and costs alot of mana. Toss is what i max first, great deal of damage. Laning with a stunner is best for you to catch up an ennemy and toss him back to your creeps and hero mate.

DT777

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjalofTWFame View Post
This is not enough mega adhesive. I don't think the damage gain on toss is worth the loss of snare on mega adhesive.
One level of mega adhesive is still ~30% slow.

That's more than good enough when you're faster than anyone else by like 80.

Bad Locksmith

08-27-2009

Great guide. I'll post some of my findings with Singed.

I like a lot of dodge. I have yellow dodge runes and I spec into the dodge in the defensive mastery tree. I also get the talent that boosts your movement speed by 10% when you dodge. Yes please! (I still get MS3 boots)

Also, instead of Flash I like Ghost. Extra movement speed, and coupled with your ult (And even another MS buff, a la Zilean, Kayle) NOTHING is outrunning you. I get goo last (would rather spend the mana on gas) so it's all about MS for me early/mid game.

My item build is slightly different from yours. I get:
1. Regrowth Pendant
2. Boots of Speed -> Boots of Swiftness
3. Catalyst -> Rod of Ages
Then, if we're evenly matched and I think the game is going to be a long one, I get
4. Catalyst -> Rod of Ages
Else,
4. Catalyst -> Banshee's Veil
5. Banshee's Veil (If not already)
6. Force-A-Nature
My games have never lasted long enough for me to finish off the last item. But I'd go for Phantom Dancer for the movement speed, the dodge (resulting in more movement speed thanks to masteries) and I guess the DPS increase (?)

This build makes me unkillable, unless I'm focus fired and stunlocked/slow stacked by the entire opposing team.

DT777

09-01-2009

Ok, so after experimenting with ghost, I am now, also, of the opinion that ghost > flash. 40% ms with the talent for 15s is just too good to pass up. And it throws in being able to run through enemies, which makes it alot easier to get poison all over the place.

Toorc

09-01-2009

DT... Your Singed inspired me to play him after fighting you... I had great success with Ghost as well.

DT777

09-01-2009

XD

Spread the singed love!

He's such an awesome hero, more people need to play him so I don't have to carry me team constantly with him. I would like to try out other heroes eventually.

DT777

09-01-2009

Another consideration I've made:

Getting Force of Nature before Warmogs. Both are great items, with FoN costing about 1k less than Warmogs. And both improve your survivability. However, FoN gives you an additional 8% ms. Which is what being Singed is all about.

Still not sold however. It's definitely something to consider in game while playing Singed. If you think you need the HP more, Warmogs. If you need the MS and regen more, FoN.

Burzum

09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountardos View Post
I find Mega Adhesive not to be so effective early game, and costs alot of mana.
Sure ! Impossible to slow enemies without a teamate able to stun.

12345 ... 9