Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Dominion: Do's and Don'ts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Onslaught87

09-28-2011

I've run about 20 games on Dominion and thus far these are the things you people need to know. Because you will surely lose if you don't have priority and awareness. And lately, I've been seeing a lot that lacking.

Windmill. Most important cap point.

Do: Have a capper on your team who runs ghost and boots off the bat to rush windmill. IMO, you should have at least 2 ghosting to it with a beefcake disabler coming up from the rear just when the enemy is coming to disrupt you.

DON'T: LEAVE ONE PERSON TO DEFEND WINDMILL. AT LEAST 2 SHOULD ALWAYS BE THERE. This is probably the most important thing to understand. It pissed me off when my 2 guys left me there as akali thinking "Oh gee, this akal is raping. Surely she will be able to 1v3 top." Don't be stupid...nobody is that good against a competent team.

Priority:

Do: Hold the 3 points once you have windmill. Ideally, you should have 2 top defending, 1 bot, 2 rogue cappers/defenders (Shaco & Ez es #1).

Don't: Leave your 3 points vulnerable with no close cover. You have the winning advantage. Keep it as they rush to make stupid decisions.

Do: Send your rogue capper/defender to the top left/right points to BD when the time is right. Such as knowing where the majority of the enemy team is and knowing that your team can hold a stalemate at the points. Even if you don't get the point or do and they just recap it in 10 seconds...that's 20 seconds/points you just deducted from their score while they diverted resources to stop you.

Don't: Be that rogue capper that places priority on capping instead of defending a point/teammates that need help. Ez and Shaco are game changers...which brings me to my next point:

Ez and Shaco are game changers.

Do: Take AD Ez and Shaco. I've played a lot of champs so far and witness a lot of champs who steam roll on dominion. The reasons are as follows:

Ezreal- A lot of people hold akali as top of the tier list right now. I don't. As much as I love her and rape with her on SR, she actually gets shut down faster than ez on this map. She gets focused fast and with an oracle, she's pretty much f*cked. And not proper f*cked. Don't get me wrong, she's still good. But ez has one thing that she doesn't. One thing that nobody else has: An ultimate that nobody sees coming that slices everyone's balls off. Stfu you Ashe fanboys...her ulti doesn't compare. It's utility. Ez' ulti is for rape. I've always been getting fed with ez on this map. I 1v3'd a triple under their turret last night. And then shot an ulti to windmill and offed some other unsuspecting chump. Who else can do this?

He has built in escape. That also does a **** ton of damage. He can kite like no other. He can disable caps from afar. He can run further and send out his Buster Wolf ultimate to be safe. It's Ezreal bro.

Shaco- Just wow...his ability to rape on this map is laughably OP. His Boots of Mobility turn into Boots of Rape real fast. He has massive utility and rape potential at the same time. Like an ez, except trickier but lacking an ulti across the map. But...the jester can get to points fast...and BD faster, and escape easier. Boxes obviously can be set up at choke points in the jungle. Don't stack them please...they will do nothing. You aren't AP shaco. Level his E as priority as usual, and his Boxes for higher fear time.

Don't: Take AP Ez and Shaco.

Tried AP shaco and didn't get my balls rocked...but I just felt so useless other than setting box traps and throwing E's around. It is funny to see the E take 1/3 of someone's life though....but after that...what do you have? You don't do **** for AA damage. You are left with your balls in the wind as you run and wait for CD. Box Traps are for trolls. Let's just be clear about that right now. Do they work? Yes. But on dominion....every second counts. You don't have a minute to sit around at one spot setting traps. I tried it and most every time you are doing so, you find that "Oh **** so and so needs help right now...do I finish the traps or go help?" AP shaco can not take more than one person at once. Period. Unless they all run into your traps simultaneously in some immaculate 1 in a million shot. Usually, one will be ****ed while the others can get out.

Ap Ez....just no. Never take him period. Why waste your main bread and butter skills which are your AA and Q? AD stacks with his ultimate greatly now. So go AD. Level Q and E and never W till end game and you will hit so ****ing hard...you'll get a b0ner. True story.

NOW HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART:
I personally get AP late game making him hybrid. Trust me when I say it gives the most damage output. Don't believe me, here's the link and you can compare it to anything you like: http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Ezreal/?items=60,108,18,75,33,28&level=18

So late game, I go Hextech and Rabadon on him. That's it for AP. The damage is astounding. And it also throws your enemy for a mindf*ck when they build armour on you and you still hit them like a boss. I started this theory on SR where Ez falls off late game as team fights come into play. Late game, he has to sit back more. And spam. W and R are apart of that spam and getting Hextech and Rabadon drastically increase your damage output. And if you think that build is too expensive...think again. If the game is getting to that point on SR where it's been going an hour, you can get this ****. And that's the time ez needs it...when his AD starts falling off.

Do: Buy Oracle Essence. Cheap and lasts 1/3 of the game assuming you don't die. Stealth is OP in general and on Scar? Whew son...yeah it's a pain in the ass. Essence can shut down Akali's game. Even shaco.

Don't: Buy useless ****. Think ahead about your money. It comes fast on this map especially if you carry. Build hard hitters that are worth the investment.

Champs

Do: Take CC. Always has won games, always will. We almost lost a game last night where we laughed as they were all tanky. It was a rumble, Nasus, Wukong, Orianna, and I forget the last. But as my team laughed...I said just wait...sure enough, rumble and wukong alone on a points 2v3 destroyed us until we got lucky enough to cap 3 points and hold them.

Don't: Take useless champs...I can't make a list yet of worthless champs. I need more time. But rest assured...Nasus isn't one of them like thought. He is still boss if built tanky because of his utility and AOE. In fact, I'm thinking building him tanky AP is the way to go.

Tier thus far IMO from players I've taken and seen taken:

Tier 1:

Ezreal, Shaco, Kassadin, Gangplank, Akali, Karma, Maokai

Tier 2:

Nasus, Galio, Zilean, Teemo, Tryndamere, Nocturne

Tier 3:

Garen

Tier 4:

Note: I have a 5:1 K/D with garen on SR ranked. Always built him tanky dps. But on Crystal Scar...something is amiss with him. He just doesn't shine as well. I've taken him and not done too well...and I've faced Garen's and stomped them. Haven't figured out quite why yet...but I'll play him more and find out. But I suspect mainly it's because he rapes faces off in the laning phase and team fights on SR. There is no real laning phase on CS and team fights just aren't the same.

Chiptune

09-28-2011

I'd move Himer up on the list. He is a great defender for your bot point.

FlamingFrostbite

09-28-2011

Half of these are common knowledge to any smart Dom player and the other half seems more your personal preference.

Onslaught87

09-28-2011

Quote:
FlamingFrostbite:
Half of these are common knowledge to any smart Dom player and the other half seems more your personal preference.

Yeah...you would think it's common sense wouldn't you...

Quote:
NexuS:
I'd move Himer up on the list. He is a great defender for your bot point.

Until I see more of him played, he belongs there on my list. Every one I see played gets rolled in Dominion. And for a very good reason. Dominion is gank city without a reliable turret to back you. Heimer gets tore up 1v2. His turrets mean nothing.

Stralucire

09-28-2011

Quote:
DON'T: LEAVE ONE PERSON TO DEFEND WINDMILL. AT LEAST 2 SHOULD ALWAYS BE THERE. This is probably the most important thing to understand. It pissed me off when my 2 guys left me there as akali thinking "Oh gee, this akal is raping. Surely she will be able to 1v3 top." Don't be stupid...nobody is that good against a competent team.

There are a few specific champs who are absurdly good at holding Windmill all by their lonesome. Maokai is one of them.

Quote:
Do: Hold the 3 points once you have windmill. Ideally, you should have 2 top defending, 1 bot, 2 rogue cappers (Shaco & Ez es #1).

And since I've been playing Maokai, and uberdefending windmill, you know what is the single most common flaw I see our team make? No one playing Jungle or middle D. The team holds bottom, I hold top, and we constantly lose mid. Yes, I know, baddie teams. Yes, I know, this is in part due to the lack of a dedicated roaming assist, but it really does happen a lot. You might be better going 1 on each base and 2 roamers (meta strat).

At least, unless the other team gets their junk together and starts rolling 4-champ team battles to take back. Then you should ride 2 D top and bottom hard. Thankfully, this is generally only at below 125, so it's mostly hold and wait from that point on anyway.

Chiptune

09-28-2011

Quote:
Onslaught87:
Yeah...you would think it's common sense wouldn't you...

Until I see more of him played, he belongs there on my list. Every one I see played gets rolled in Dominion. And for a very good reason. Dominion is gank city without a reliable turret to back you. Heimer gets tore up 1v2. His turrets mean nothing.

A good heimer is ****ing scary. I had one my team who went like 11-1-something and was an unstoppable defensive force. He came out top on score and actually managed to grab a few points. He was down right scary.

Frost turret strafing in your turret. Using rockets and nades to keep off the cappers. It's a solid combo.

Onslaught87

09-28-2011

Quote:
Stralucire:
There are a few specific champs who are absurdly good at holding Windmill all by their lonesome. Maokai is one of them.

Maokai might be an exception and I forgot to add him to tier 1. He definitely is boss. But not even just for holding. For harassing with sapplings on an enemy point. In general though...you don't ever leave 1 top. I'd even still say don't leave tree alone top. He can't hold everything off indefinitely.

Quote:
And since I've been playing Maokai, and uberdefending windmill, you know what is the single most common flaw I see our team make? No one playing Jungle or middle D. The team holds bottom, I hold top, and we constantly lose mid. Yes, I know, baddie teams. Yes, I know, this is in part due to the lack of a dedicated roaming assist, but it really does happen a lot. You might be better going 1 on each base and 2 roamers (meta strat).

At least, unless the other team gets their junk together and starts rolling 4-champ team battles to take back. Then you should ride 2 D top and bottom hard. Thankfully, this is generally only at below 125, so it's mostly hold and wait from that point on anyway.

Losing mid...that's actually pretty bad. I never see that happen. I'll go to mid myself and defend it. There should always be one between top and bottom. I don't like the term Jungle for this map. I used Rogue Capper, which also can be used as Rogue Defender. They are one in the same. I still think 2 top, 1 bot, 2 roamers is the way to go. Roamers should have boots of mob and ghost and be able to get to your mid. Also awareness. You don't see them on the map anywhere? Probably ganking or bding mid...so go def mid for the time being.

Onslaught87

09-28-2011

Quote:
NexuS:
A good heimer is ****ing scary. I had one my team who went like 11-1-something and was an unstoppable defensive force. He came out top on score and actually managed to grab a few points. He was down right scary.

Frost turret strafing in your turret. Using rockets and nades to keep off the cappers. It's a solid combo.

A good [insert any champion fed] is scary. The difference is a common heimer will suck on this map and I explained why. Idk what everyone's obsession is with heimer. On SR, I still think he's tier 1. But on this map...I see nothing but fail. Like I said...it's a list based off of 20 games or so. Don't mind it too much. It's just my personal opinion on what I've seen thus far.

Stralucire

09-28-2011

Quote:
Also awareness. You don't see them on the map anywhere?

True that. The minimap wins games.

Also, Heimer: Early games I saw a lot of people playing like complete fools if a tower had turrets on it. Most have wisened up at this point. What originally looked like a powerhouse AP Defender turned into a defender with a cheeze strat. Not actually that difficult to counter unless you play stupid.

Cryll

09-28-2011

Why is Poppy not on your Tier list?