Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shen - Possible Shen Tank/AP Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CanadianSniper

09-27-2011

Shen's AP ratios skyrocketed for his ultimate (100% to 150%). In most of the pvp matches I've been in, Shen rarely gets focused. If the enemy team does focus Shen then I just get a thornmail and it's gg cause they're dumb. However, in most games Shen is only useful for his ultimate teleport into taunt or just using taunt in a team fight (either on the carries or to stop an enemy ult). This is because most players (and the top rated Shen build on mobafire) builds Shen with pure defense stats. While I have nothing against these builds (and they're most likely the best options) I want to build Shen with more utility and damage for his team. It'll make him slightly less tanky, but he'll gain a buff to his personal shield to make up for some of his loss. So here's what I propose (for most games, items should always be subject to change depending on what the enemy comp is and what they're building):

Runes:
Magic Pen Marks (might want Attack Speed Marks if you're jungling)
Dodge Seals
Magic Resist/18 Glyphs (or static Magic Resist Glyphs)
Health Quints

Masteries and Summoner Spells:
0/21/9 skipping out on Ardor and anything mana related, picking up Ghost and Teleport, and putting the final point in Greed. Replace Teleport with Smite if Jungling.

Abilities:
(laning bot)
1 point in q for harrass (e first if lvl 1 team fight)
r whenever available
e and w keeping both even
maxing out q last

(jungling)
Usually want to focus on q but still want to build up your e to earn assists when ganking. I'll leave it up to you to find a good mix.

Jungling Route:
Blue (leash) <- smite
wolves
ghasts (smite big ghast if Blue and Red aren't up)
Red <- smite
golems

Item Build:

boots of speed+3health potions (cloth armour+5health potions jungling)
heart of gold (keep until building 6th main item)
ruby crystal -> null-magic mantle -> Aegis of the Legion
Ninja Tabi*
giant's belt (from here on you'll have to make a decision on what items to get according to the enemy team. Here's a generic build using +health +ability power items)
Moonflair Spellblade**
negatron cloak
Sunfire Cape
Abyssal Scepter
giant's belt (sell heart of gold)
Rylai's Crystal Scepter (Health, AP, and a slow attached to your offensive abilities)

This build should amount to around 3304 health (1346 bonus health), 196 armour, 20.75% dodge, 156.3 magic resist, 28.55 spell pen, and 200 ability power.

With this build, Shen's abilities will gain the following increases:
Ki Strike +107.68 magic damage (207) +107%
Q +150 magic damage (360) +71% (this may seem small but the cooldown is very short)
W +150 absorb (400) +60%
R +300 absorb (1050) +40%

If the game is still going, you could replace Aegis of the Legion with a Rabadon's Deathcap which will give you the following increases:

Q +331.5 magic damage (541) +158%
W +331.5 absorb (581) +132%
R +663 absorb (1413) +88%

Let me know what you think

* if the enemy team has no obvious AD carries, get Mercury's Treads instead. Don't get Moonflair Spellblade.
** if the enemy team has very little cc then don't get Moonflair Spellblade.

edit:
Thread was made in 27/09/2011. Any future patches could make this build obsolete.
Fixed incorrect % values.

edit2:
tried adding links but I couldn't figure out how to do something like {url="link"}word{/url} without it just printing the link on the page.

edit3:
Debating on replacing Sunfire Cape with Rylai's Crystal Scepter in this build. With the 20% dodge, getting 170+ armour may be overkill. Then the 6th slot could be used for Rabadon's Deathcap then replace Aegis of the Legion with something like Lich Bane.

Satou

09-27-2011

Seen it firsthand... It works!

Must be played right though, but it's definitely a viable option!

ComradeHX

09-28-2011

Good build.

Unfortunately it fails for anyone who does not have dodge seals.

Aikimiller

09-28-2011

Not a bad build. And yes, it does mostly work.

However, AP Shen has a problem. The energy resource system, and the high cost of Shadow Dash mean that late game, you have to manage your energy. This means not using Feint and Vorpal Blade, pretty much at all, during teamfights. So, basicly the only thing AP is used for is the Ult. Which means your building AP for a single skill, with a 2 minute cooldown. Why not optimize what you're doing in-between skill usage instead?

The way energy managment works out, going an AD auto-attack route is actually more productive, in theory, because your not tieing your damage to your energy usage. You also have access to Atma's Impaler, which Shen does like having, and Madreds razors, which are nice for jungling and split pushing, and shen does a lot of split pushing.

I havent' done a lot of testing with this yet, and am hoping for further Shen buffs as well. But it's another option to try out.

CanadianSniper

09-28-2011

Debating on replacing Sunfire Cape with Rylai's Crystal Scepter in this build. With the 20% dodge, getting 170+ armour may be overkill. Then the 6th slot could be used for Rabadon's Deathcap then replace Aegis of the Legion with something like Lich Bane.

Quote:
Aikimiller:
Not a bad build. And yes, it does mostly work.

However, AP Shen has a problem. The energy resource system, and the high cost of Shadow Dash mean that late game, you have to manage your energy. This means not using Feint and Vorpal Blade, pretty much at all, during teamfights. So, basicly the only thing AP is used for is the Ult. Which means your building AP for a single skill, with a 2 minute cooldown. Why not optimize what you're doing in-between skill usage instead?

The way energy managment works out, going an AD auto-attack route is actually more productive, in theory, because your not tieing your damage to your energy usage. You also have access to Atma's Impaler, which Shen does like having, and Madreds razors, which are nice for jungling and split pushing, and shen does a lot of split pushing.

I havent' done a lot of testing with this yet, and am hoping for further Shen buffs as well. But it's another option to try out.

[math time]
Q costs 50, W costs 45, E costs 100 initially but you get refunded 50 if you don't miss, and R no longer costs energy to use. Without energy runes, you have 200 energy at a 10 energy/sec rate to play around with. E's default cooldown is 10 seconds. In 10 seconds you would generate 100 energy. So basically this means you could use Q twice and still be able to use E which would bring you to 50 energy (assuming you hit with E). Then after 10 seconds you would have 150 energy which means you're free to use another Q while waiting for E.

[rambling time]
While I agree that building atma on shen would have a lot of damage output, that's not the main focus of this build. The AP earned in the late game would help you protect your teammates as well as do a little more damage. With 200 AP, Shen's R would increase from 750 absorb to 1050 absorb. That's 300 more absorb that'll keep your friend alive while you take 2.5 seconds to get there and taunt the enemy. Shen doesn't really need any more tank items to bring him above 200 armour or 200 magic resist because the AP added to Shen's W would keep him alive through burst and pokes anyways.

TenebrousLuck

09-28-2011

My build is hybrid shen:

Boots 5 rylais