The Frustration With Personal Score

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HidingOverHere

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2011

i proposed that scores for capping points be divided amongst those capturing, so if its 40 points and u cap it urself then u get 40 points... if ur whole team shows up like dumbasses then u each only get 8

boourns

UI Designer

09-27-2011
1 of 7 Riot Posts

This is something that was discussed a lot during development. I generally think the personal score system is a positive, but it could certainly use refinement. I play tanks a lot during our development playtests so I can definitely appreciate what you're saying. Many times defensive players that we all agree made great contributions weren't rewarded by the personal score system as much. It's something the designers are looking at.

However, I would say that even if an intangible is not impossible to measure, it can be very difficult to accomplish or make the system too complex. There's definitely a trade-off from adding to the system and we're searching for the right balance.

Vydelar

09-27-2011

Honestly, personal score doesn't bother me as much, more because I usually compare how well someone does with their objective score. [Which noone considers, especially when they yell about someone sucking, and their objective score was rock bottom and the one they were yelling about had top obj. score.]

Prometheius

09-27-2011

My biggest peeve about the score system is how defense and assists get craptastic scores.

Why does capping and Neutralizing a point give a combined total of 16x the points of defending?

Why does getting the last hit reward a player 3x more points than all the people who made sure the killer survived or nuked them down to low HP?

Why does using support skills give such crappy rates, where even picking up a heal pack would give a better score?

They really need to tone down all the points awarded for aggressiveness and up defensive play scores. At the very least, defending a point should reward 50 points per person you stop. That'd encourage people to hold the **** things instead of gunning off.

Scullzomben

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2011

I can relate to this. I play a bit of Janna on Dominion, and I always play with 4 other friends. What I will usually do is roam the map with Gangplank or Xin Zhao, providing them with the damage buff shield, some slows/knock ups, and a heal/knockback when needed. These tend to get me nice assist points, but I often feel very unrewarded when we cap points. Here is a run down of how that usually goes.

After forcing an enemy to b, or killing them, we are taking a point. I see on the minimap an enemy is approaching, so I charge away from the point, set up a tornado, and basically prevent that person from getting near my capping team mate. I see my team mates personal score go up quite a bit, and my own going up very marginally, even though I feel as if I have made more of an effort to make that cap successful.

feelbadman.jpg

Stez007

09-27-2011

I can definitely agree here. I played a badass game earlier as Morgana, but ended the game fourth in total score. Meanwhile I had 15 assists, saved turrets a dozen times, stopped them from getting the relic twice, kept bot lane pushed all game and saved teammates more times than I can remember.

It's a good start, but it's still not a true indicator of contribution.

Herboss

09-27-2011

Yeah people standing on a point defending it, only get 5 points every what 5 seconds? Yet standing there on a point deters people from trying to cap it so it's an extremely important job to be doing, even if no one is trying to take the point at the time.

It definately needs a FAR greater reward.

Tenmar

09-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
This is something that was discussed a lot during development. I generally think the personal score system is a positive, but it could certainly use refinement. I play tanks a lot during our development playtests so I can definitely appreciate what you're saying. Many times defensive players that we all agree made great contributions weren't rewarded by the personal score system as much. It's something the designers are looking at.

However, I would say that even if an intangible is not impossible to measure, it can be very difficult to accomplish or make the system too complex. There's definitely a trade-off from adding to the system and we're searching for the right balance.
I disagree with the point system because it promotes negative or non-intelligent decisions from teammates.

Why? Because it distracts people from the actual objective to win a match just like K/D/A distracts people in SR.

Want Martyr? Die on your node. Don't worry about zoning your opponent and pushing them away from the turret. You gotta get those points.

Want to get first as a defender? Just afk on your node. Don't worry about applying pressure just sit on that node and I'm sure those minions will do the work.

Want to get first and gold? Just cooperate with an opponent and just cap swap the node back and forth. Maximize gold, points for max IP benefit and as a result both can devastate the opposing team making the match really down to two people who are abusing your point system.

Don't worry about holding a node, just neutralize the node and run away to the next node to neutralize. Don't worry as Rammus or Shaco you will certainly cause enough chaos for your opponent, do nothing to defend. But hey, you got all those points.

There are just too many problems with this point system that promotes players to make bad judgement calls. Half of the time I see people would rather die instead of recall and let their opponent get the node causing a domino effect resulting in not only losing the node just taken but the adjacent node.

I loved your spotlight video that had the first main point titled as "HOW TO WIN". That is something that is constantly needs to be reminded if your game wants to become an E-sport and for people new to the MOBA that want to play and know what to do to win which as a result enables them to know how to play the game.

JeryC

09-27-2011

well, we know how good/bad we are, but for those really concerned about yr personal stats, u can try giving yr tower to the enemy & capture it back. that will boost yr points. it's dumb, but hey, who really gives a **** to those points when yr team wins.

i don't even care about winning or losing or those points. i just want a good game, not a crappy one where my team stomps on their or the other way round.

Aviyor

09-27-2011

Captures need toning down a bit; capping a neutral point oftentimes isn't risky given the lack of tower aggro in addition to the fact that the initial base caps are just as valuable as anything else. Also, I've been irritated with the "martyr" bonus (10-20 points) which leads people to think they're contributing by rushing a defended point and dying, or staying to be instagibbed by countless enemies.

12345612 ... 14