Dominion Tips and Tactics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

8bitmindset

09-27-2011

This will be a library for those who seek tips and tactics to improve their gameplay in dominion. By any means I’m no professional player so I welcome any kind of tactics, team setups and ideas.

There are many type of heroes in this game, but for Dominion we could categorize them and place them in tiers. First one is the Attackers/Cappers who head-on attacks points and heroes and tries to capture them or kill the champions defending it. The second category is the Defenders, they can hold a lane alone against 2vs1 or even 3vs1 however, they are weak when it comes to killing or capturing enemy points. The last but not least is the Disruptor category. They roam the map for any possible exploiting any kind of hole in shield of the enemy defense line. Their high-mobility and utility is what makes them unique and good.
This is only a rough tier-list so it's not set in stone! There are champions who are very unique and houses different skillsets and they can not be placed in any of the 3 tiers mentioned above, however they in the right hands they are very powerful and can turn the tides of a match.

So let’s get into it! Here's a list made not only by me. Thank you for all the help guys.

I. Tips and Common Knowledge

Quote:

Pre-Game tips:

- Do not ****talk in chat! Be calm and have a professional mindset.

- Hopefully you already decided at the champion select which hero will take these specific points. If not TALK to your teammates how each of you should proceed once the battle starts.

- Top means the upper part of the hexagram, while Mid means the closest upper point to your base and Bot means the closest lower point to your base.

- Currently defenders do not get as much points as attackers so DON’T bash on them when they are on the lowest score on the personal rating. Just as supports in SR. They don’t have huge creep score, but you don’t scold them for not farming and saying they are useless.

- The game is NOT about running around like a headless chicken capturing every point you see in the map! The game mode is called capture and HOLD for a reason.

- You may ban if you play Draft mode (which I recommend) certain heroes in the game which excels at a certain roles way too well. It will save you a game...

Map tips:

- There are Health kits around in the map which respawns every ~45-60 seconds. (In need of confirmation)

- There is a special buff in the middle of the map named Storm Shield which respawns every ~3-4 minutes. (In need of confirmation) This buff is very strong so it's a good idea to keep an eye on it when you or the enemy can take it!

- Capturing and holding three points in the game will slowly, but surely wins you the game. Don’t backdoor enemy bot or mid if you are sure they will backdoor the point you just captured. Even if you get the enemy points, keeping it will be very hard since enemies can easily teleport back/respawn with full force against you.

- Completing quests nets you a nice buff. Try to watch what are these quests and position yourself according what role you fill in.

Capture tips:

- You can cancel a capture at a neutral point for any number of players if you try to capture the point too. This will make capturing impossible for the next 4-5 seconds so take cover and wait for your friends.

- Utility heroes and Attackers should consider getting the item Priscillas’s Blessing. This will make capturing much easier, however this is not a good starting item so don’t build this first!

- Minions can also capture a point! Many bad players ignore the minions, but a smart one will use a good push to their advantage. Defenders should use this tactic.

- Consuming a potion while channeling on a tower cancels your channel!

- Neutral towers will reveal nearby stealthed enemy units for both teams, however captured turrets only reveal enemy units so be cautious!

- Channeling on an enemy tower cancels its ability to attack.

- Many toggle abilities (such as Karthas' Defile) can be turned on and off while channeling a capture, without interrupting the channel. So turn it on if you see the enemy coming in to jump you.

General tips:

- Respawn times are reduced in Dominion. At the end of the game the death timer is like 10 seconds. Be careful with this since lot of players will respawn by the time you arrive at the second node!

- Killing enemies reduces the HP of enemy nexus, however after a certain time this will disappear so don’t count on this! Kills are not the main point of this game!

- You need to survive the first battle at the top lane so for starting items getting the Pros. Blade or Ring is not a bad idea.

- Kills matter, but not for the reason it is on SR. It's not because of the gold. Kills matter because, if you win the fight, you get to stick around and get the node. Which also nets you gold and large boost to personal rating. However, kills don't matter to the extent that you kill everyone across the map and not cap anything just trying to get the most positive KDA ratio possible.

- Caps matter, but not to the extent that all you do is cap points. If you go from point to point getting caps, you are increasing your gold and rating bigtime, but an enemy team will just recap it if there's no one to defend it.

- Deaths are important, but not in the same way it is for SR. Dying a lot isn't a big of a deal if your combat rating and personal score is really high. It means that you were active across the map and did not play passively. It's still important not to die because if you avoided that death, you could have used the time to take another node, defend or help win a fight.

II. Tactics

There are quite a few tactics even at the present game. I’ll write a few common ones here.

Quote:
- 4-0-1
This means four players will go the upper levels, while one player, usually a hero who excels at defending will go and capture the bottom lane and will hold it. From the other four players two will rush to the top, while two will capture mid then goes to the middle of the map to check the situation whether they are needed at the top or bottom lane. This tactic requires a good defender, two strong attacker (tanky dps) and two mobile disruptors.

- 3-1-1
3 to top lane, 1 to mid and 1 to bottom. This presents a stronger threat at the top lane and the middle player can assume a top or bottom presence if needed. However this leaves little to none disruptions in the “jungle” to check what are the movements of the enemy players. This tactic requires a good defender, three strong attacker (tanky dps) and mobile disruptors. This is the most used tactic I’ve seen so far.

- 2-1-2
This tactic is very flexible in terms on player roles. It can be 4 attacker and 1 disruptor or 2 defenders 1 attacker and 2 disruptor. This poses an overall threat to the enemy, but a weak one. However it may be a good counter against 4-0-1 if the bottom lane setup is a strong attacker and strong disruptor hence penetrating the enemy defense line and capturing the enemy bot lane.

I await any kind of new tactic or team setup or tips, I’ll update according to it.

Hobocop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2011

You can't channel a capture on a point you already own, so channeling to stop other captures only works on neutral points.

8bitmindset

09-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0B0C0P View Post
You can't channel a capture on a point you already own, so channeling to stop other captures only works on neutral points.
I'll add this.

Kirby4Life

09-27-2011

Rammus is OP. Make shure you have one in every game.

8bitmindset

09-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby4Life View Post
Rammus is OP. Make shure you have one in every game.
Or rather ban him. I'll mention Draft mode..

drooball

09-27-2011

Consuming a potion while channeling on a tower cancels your channel.

Towers in your possession will reveal nearby stealthed enemy units.

channeling on an enemy tower cancels its ability to attack.

Respawn times are reduced in dominion (do not pick revive as a summoner spell!!!)

8bitmindset

09-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooball View Post
Consuming a potion while channeling on a tower cancels your channel.

Towers in your possession will reveal nearby stealthed enemy units.

channeling on an enemy tower cancels its ability to attack.

Respawn times are reduced in dominion (do not pick revive as a summoner spell!!!)
Very good! I'll add this now. Keep it coming guys! Let's have a nice list!

coffeerox

09-27-2011

This is a good post, and it has information better than the "comprehensive tier list". The only downside is referencing that list which is plain bad.

8bitmindset

09-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeerox View Post
This is a good post, and it has information better than the "comprehensive tier list". The only downside is referencing that list which is plain bad.

That thread shows a usual run-down on champion types, for starters it's worth to read it I guess even if it's not the best.

Skoo

09-27-2011

Might want to include the buff respawn timers. I want to say Health kits are around ~30-60 seconds while Storm Shield is ~3-4 minutes. But that's ballpark.