[Suggestions] Some New Rants and Suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bonner

06-04-2010

Rather than reposting the queue dodging problem, AFKer/Leaver problem and general horrid mess of match making, I have some new things to complain and suggest about.

IP Gain Factors
I see a lot of posts and articles around on the web about how Riot wishes to appeal to the casual gamer. The most recent release of win-based IP Boosts has really just slapped casual gamers in the face. Players with less free time, those with jobs and such, pay the same amount of RP for an IP Boost for 4 games as a hardcore (more free time) gamer pays for 3 days. In those 3 days a regular could easily play 50+ games. Casual gamers are penalized for having less free time? How does this balance anything other than your checkbook? Ok, that's a little off topic :-)

Considering the costs of more expensive champions (6300 IP) and quints (2050 IP), the current amount of IP being delivered for a single winning is very limited. The only real factors that contribute are whatever you won or lost. Surrendering and game length only affect IP subtly, it hardly makes a difference unless you're playing 20 games a day (another hit against casual gamers).

There should be more factors that contribute to the amount of IP awarded for a game. For example, the amount of time a player spends idle in a game (supports active game play), the number of assists compared to other players on your team (supports team play) or champion level (again, supports active game play). I'm not saying that you should get X amount IP per assist or level, but these are factors that should contribute in some way to the amount of IP you receive. Currently I see little variation in the amount of IP that I receive for a win. In some games, I did extremely well and others I did very poorly and I was awarded the same.

The Level 30 Dilemma
In a recent interview, Riot was quoted as saying the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/league-of-legends-clash-of-fates/1094538p1.html
When we look at the ranking spreads for normal games, we see a lot of extremely high-rated players in the 20s. So we decided that, hey, if you've played to 20, you most likely know what you're doing, and you're not at too much of a disadvantage.
I don't even know where to begin with how wrong this is. A level 20 with maybe 80 wins is not at much of a disadvantage to a level 30 with 600 wins, just because he might have a similar ELO? Even if the level 30 player is terrible according to ELO ranking, he's had more experience, by far, with how the game works.

The level 30 cap system is very flawed. Yes, there should be a level at which players should stop gaining an advantage in spells and masteries, and I think level 30 is fine. After a player reaches level 30, he is still that same level if he has 200 wins or 1000. The level system is all we can currently see about another player's skill set, why is it so limited? Players should be able to continue leveling up to a more unobtainable level; but they shouldn't gain any more advantage in the game after level 30. What I mean by this is they shouldn't get any more mastery points after level 30. This would allow players to more effectively see other players skill set without completely revealing it with something like an ELO rating.

PVP.net Client
I'm not sure where to begin. I guess I'll start by saying Adobe AIR was the absolute worst platform choice for this game and is a major contributing factor to why PVP.net (the interface you use when you login, access the shop, enter champion selection; everything before you actually play a game) cannot expand much further. It's quite sad that the amount of rune pages we have are limited by the memory consumption of the platform. Adobe AIR is a massively overweight platform that eats system resources like a fat kid eats pie.

Why spend so much time and invest so much into a game like League of Legends and build it on such a poor platform. Let's look at a slightly better alternative, Java! Yes, Java is still pretty bulky and slow, too, but it does have advantages in the situation. Java is amazing when it comes to client/server communications and a client can easily be built to work cross-operating system. Java applications also use resources based on how well developers at Riot can actually write efficient code. Unlike Adobe air which is just a resource hogging platform to begin with. Or, Riot could just one-up my whole argument and write it in C.

I noticed Riot was looking to hire some Java developers, is this something that is already in the works possibly?

Edit:
Bug Tracking
There is a lot of web software out there for tracking bugs. Why doesn't Riot start up an official bug reporting page so they can better track major issues. This will also encourage players to submit bug reports when they actually see action being taken against something. It has to be a pain for Riot to keep up with all of the posts in the bug reporting thread.

Anyways, those are my rants and suggestions.
Hope you enjoyed reading!
- Bonner

Xetelian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

Agree the Adobe Air may leave us without a lot of options as far as client functions and compatibility issues.

Also seems to be a memory hog.

Very nice my friend.

At the end of each match players vote MVP and give MVP a little bonus ip! I've seen it before, maybe add that too your mix of ideas.

bonner

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetelian View Post
At the end of each match players vote MVP and give MVP a little bonus ip! I've seen it before, maybe add that too your mix of ideas.
Or maybe have the opposing team vote for your team's MVP. If your own team could vote, partial pre-mades would just set their friends up. Great idea though, never thought of that

LTPapaBear

06-04-2010

I don't think they will remove the lvl 30 bar for the sole fact that if they'd ever want to make expansions of benefits past lvl 30 possible, they'd like everyone to be under the new bar they set rather than deal with a wide variety of lvls.

BearwithChainsaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-05-2010

Cant wait for the day Adobe Air is dumped.