Phoenix Udyr or Tiger Udyr?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coldrenan

06-04-2010

So i've had Udyr for while now and I have always built him around phoenix stance and played that way with consistent success.

I have seen some speculation about building around Tiger recently and I am kind of curious as to which is really better or if they're both viable.

Also, if you all want to contribute some item builds that I could try out (for either phoenix or tiger), post it on this thread- I'd really appreciate it!

Cheesus

06-04-2010

Tiger Stance is still bugged and lowers the amount of damage of crits and sheen procs...It's still horrible.

Coldrenan

06-04-2010

oh wow, i didn't even realize tiger was bugged..that's lame.

CoVi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrenan View Post
oh wow, i didn't even realize tiger was bugged..that's lame.
When you play with tiger stance udyr, you don't use crit chance at all... neither Shen. You mass Atack damage so the DoT destroys almost everything. Other than that... i don't play tiger stance udyr because i don't know if the dot is Physical or Magical... how silly is that xD

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoVi View Post
When you play with tiger stance udyr, you don't use crit chance at all... neither Shen. You mass Atack damage so the DoT destroys almost everything. Other than that... i don't play tiger stance udyr because i don't know if the dot is Physical or Magical... how silly is that xD
It's magical.

Coldrenan

06-04-2010

Well I really wanna know if phoenix is still good because I like phoenix stance the most haha XD
Personally I think phoenix is very good but i'm only a lv. 19 summoner so i don't know if it is good at the more competitive tier of play.

Chutzpahnaught

Recruiter

06-04-2010

locket udyr going phoenix is still hot.

Tiger is pretty crappy and really depends on what your team is rolling.

Coldrenan

06-04-2010

I've never built with locket. Usually i would have this by lategame:

Malady
berserkers greaves
trinity force
phantom dancer
(if it goes this late) another phantom, infinity edge, or any good item with a lot of AS MS or AD

the reasoning is to proc the phoenix stance ability as often as possible while have the slow/stun from trinity when bear is on cooldown + lots of AD

can you recommend an item build (for a phoenix build) involving locket please?

Mr Wind Up Bird

06-04-2010

Phoenix stance still provides the most item-independent damage for udyr. It's also the most useful jungle stance. For that reason, most people use phoenix stance for a kind of aura support/disabler build, getting items like Aegis of the Legion or Innervating Locket. I couldn't tell you how useful it is to attempt to do large amounts of damage with phoenix stance, as I've never tried. The support-y phoenix stance builds sometimes pick up Trinity Force if the game goes long and they want to do some more damage.

Tiger stance is for jamming infinite AD. I don't particularly like this build, but I assume anything with a BF sword in it is reasonable(bloodthirsters are probably best). You could probably also make Madred's work well with Tiger Stance, since it gives you a LOT of free AS.

quick edit since I just saw your last post:
http://blog.leagueoflegends.com/?p=408

has some good info on phoenix stance udyr.

Sturmhard

06-05-2010

the problem with locket/armor builds for udyr is, while they can be very efficient, that it entirely depends on your team whether it will be successful or not.

if i see that i have a very competent team, i go for a tank build with randuins, locket and some AS. But more often than not when solo-queuing you end up running around being hard to kill but not dealing enough damage to compensate for your crappy teammates and everyone can just completely ignore you. And most melees can outdamage you really quickly with this build, locket or not.

in these games i started to build heavy damage from the beginning skilling tiger asap and you can pick off enemy squishies brutally fast and you become a pain in the ass pretty quickly. brutalizer, black cleaver and afterwards some attack speed and finally armor is a good build for publics. I completely ignore phoenix the most of the time in these games.