Comprehensive Dominion Analysis + Tier List (Under Construction)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aikimiller

11-14-2011

Been playing a lot of Jarvan lately, and I'll definatly make the argument for bumping him up a tier.

He's durable enough to build AS/damage and completely own without having to buy a lot of tank. Send him bot and he's a fantastic farmer/pusher, capable of taking Heimer fairly easily (your ult really helps with that). The threat of ulting and trapping someone under your tower is very powerful on defense, on offense he has enough armor to initiate and tank the towers. On utility, he's got a slow, a knock-up, a team buff and an armor de-buff, his ult can be used to trap an enemy chasing an almost dead ally, or stall opponents trying to interrupt captures.

And his build is incredibly, incredibly flexible, and very easy to counter build to the enemy team. If the opposing team doesn't get smart and shut Jarvan down, you carry games pretty hard. If they do wise up to how much of a threat you are, you start drawing serious agro, and your teammates can normally take advantage of it- at which point you can start building heavy tank and you just. don't. die.

Lethal stoner

11-14-2011

mundo galio taric **** tier?? lol u suck dude start playing champs first

Osheroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-14-2011

Wouldn't it potentially make more sense to make 3 tier lists... like, Attacker, Defender, Utility... This way a great bottom or defender would be top of that "Role" but maybe low on Utility.. This way Rammus as an example maybe top tier Utility but lower in attack... This would make it clearer that when you say Champ X is low tier, what exactly they are low tier of.

Tale Feather

11-14-2011

I personally believe Kayle is a bit too low on this tier list, considering how many matches I've carried with her. With the levels and gold coming in consistently, and her ability to clear creep waves rather quickly, she can build into something pretty monstrous, and is especially good in pulling agro from top.

More than once I've decimated multiple full-life champions with intelligent use of my Ult and strong targeting.

Kovas

11-14-2011

Quote:
Attacker – Ability to assault a point. Qualities that make an attacker successful include those such as potent poking abilities, ability to displace defenders, ability to tank turrets, ability to quickly push a lane, and high burst damage.

Defender – Ability to defend a point. Qualities that make a defender successful include those such as tankiness, AoE abilities on a short cooldown, CC abilities, and long range.

Utility – http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1286491&page=7
How the f**k is kassadin not 5/5/5? With just an RoA he's one of the best at all of these.

Blackfire447

11-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikimiller View Post
Been playing a lot of Jarvan lately, and I'll definatly make the argument for bumping him up a tier.

He's durable enough to build AS/damage and completely own without having to buy a lot of tank. Send him bot and he's a fantastic farmer/pusher, capable of taking Heimer fairly easily (your ult really helps with that). The threat of ulting and trapping someone under your tower is very powerful on defense, on offense he has enough armor to initiate and tank the towers. On utility, he's got a slow, a knock-up, a team buff and an armor de-buff, his ult can be used to trap an enemy chasing an almost dead ally, or stall opponents trying to interrupt captures.

And his build is incredibly, incredibly flexible, and very easy to counter build to the enemy team. If the opposing team doesn't get smart and shut Jarvan down, you carry games pretty hard. If they do wise up to how much of a threat you are, you start drawing serious agro, and your teammates can normally take advantage of it- at which point you can start building heavy tank and you just. don't. die.
Pretty much agree with this, I really only play Mantheon and Jarman in dom, and Jarvan gets no credit, hes extremely good. Without worrying about his mana now he is free to spam his EQ all the time and his early game is excellent, and once I get trinity, I can easily kill a carry with my combo and 2 or 3 AAs, which only takes about 2-3 seconds total...

Very under-rated IMO...Worthy of Tier 2 IMO, either 4/4/3 or 3/4/4

Acerbatus

11-14-2011

I don't agree with LeBlanc being on top tier list, people are going to buy that Odyn's Viel and other MR items which will decrease her effectiveness. That's not to say, she isn't effective if she is played right

Terence Mckenna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yifanlol View Post
At this point, some of you may be wondering why this is problematic. The answer is simple - the score system more often than not reflects poor gameplay, and reinforces score-based rather than strategic-based thinking. The core issue behind this poor gameplay is a failure to grasp the victory condition in Dominion. Kills are not the determining factor, winning team fights are not the determining factor, and points are not the determining factor - the only win condition in Dominion is to ensure that the enemy Nexus ticks down to 0 health, by controlling more points for a longer period of time. The most important resource to maximize then, should be time - not kills, not score.

Time-based strategies effectively counter clustering strategies. They also perform well against heavy bruiser/duelist teams even while running lower-tier champions. These strategies employ tactics that are not credited in Riot's score system at all. As you will read, Utility is one of the key classifications in determining a champion's tier placement. While utility includes intuitively "useful" abilities such as being able to get around and backdoor quickly, it also includes important swinging offensive/defensive roles and mobility control.

Swinging offense/defense and mobility control receive no formal recognition from the Riot score system, even though they are tactically the most prominent. If Dominion moves towards a more competitive scene, I expect that professional players will have an excellent feel for the amount of time it takes to move between CPs, and the amount of "space" controlled by an enemy team at any given time. This space can simply be represented as the time integral of a champion's movement speed and the frequency that the champion can use movement-enhancing abilities within that time interval, plus the range of interrupting abilities. Due to the fact that map vision in lanes, CP's, and the greater relic area, is granted at all times, control of the jungle lanes between nodes is the single most important factor to controlling space.

Certain champions excel at controlling space, and can restrict enemies from using certain paths, or slowing them down to buy more time for teammates to attain objectives. Champions who can perform swinging defense roles effectively severely limit the usefulness of backdooring champions. The most game-changing plays are almost always ones made by defenders attempting to hold a CP from falling into enemy hands, often in the face of overwhelming odds. Yet a measly 5 points are awarded on a set time interval for standing on a point, while another 20 are awarded for dying. No sort of measurement is made - or is even possible - to account for the strategic edge gained by having one defender hold off multiple champions for the rest of the team.

Don't play for KDA ratios. Don't play for personal score. To truly show one's worth as a good Dominion player, you must win. Communicate with the team, direct them to undefended CPs. Tell them to avoid pyrrhic fights. Cut off enemies in the jungle attempting to interrupt capturing. Move on to the next CP to pressure it instead of sticking around to help capture a point that your teammates are already in the process of securing. Think strategically, and outside the box. This will open up a dimension of Dominion that was never seen in SR.

I think this is the most important part of this whole post. Tier list is cool, but thats all irrelevant. Whoever is better at their champ and is on point and paying attention is going to win the fight. Not whoever is on whatever tier.

All you guys posting ways you think changes should go and what champs you have killed with who forget that ITS IRRELEVANT. These are just baseline stats. Not the end all judge of what champs YOU CAN PLAY WELL.

I wish people understood the mindset better and didnt care so much about personal score or KDA ratio or what tier which champs are on.... just saying.

Alvinheimer

11-15-2011

Quote:
Tier I (12+):
Akali+ (5/3/4), Anivia (4/5/3), Graves (5/4/3), Heimerdinger (3/5/4), Jax (5/3/4), Kassadin (4/4/4), Karthus (3/5/5), Kog'maw* (5/4/4), LeBlanc (5/3/4), Nocturne (4/3/5), Pantheon+ (5/3/4), Poppy* (5/2/4), Rammus (3/4/5), Riven (4/4/4) Shaco (3/4/5), Yorick (4/5/3)

Tier 2 (11):
Blitzcrank (4/4/3), Caitlyn** (4/3/4), Ezreal (3/3/5), Evelynn* (2/3/5), Gangplank (4/2/5), Garen (5/4/2), Irelia (4/4/3), Kennen (3/5/3), Janna (2/4/5), Lux (3/4/4), Maokai (3/5/3), Pantheon (3/3/5), Rumble+ (4/4/3), Ryze (4/5/2), Singed (4/4/3), Talon (5/3/3), Tryndamere** (5/3/3), Twisted Fate (3/4/4), Twitch- (4/4/3), Udyr (4/3/3), Vayne* (5/2/3), Wukong (4/4/3), Xin Zhao (5/3/3), Xerath* (4/5/3), Zilean (3/3/5)
You have panth on there twice. Also i've already upvoted you once but just want to say again good job.

Vichar

11-15-2011

I think this is my favorite tier list so far, not because of the rankings of champions in it but because the OP offers a compelling, insightful analysis of the Dominion game itself. I especially like how he talks about controlling space, cutting off champions going to cap, and using time as the salient metric.

Part of what complicates such tier lists is that not only are there several roles, there are definitely counters. Not every champ is equally effective against every other champ (in terms of winning at Dominion, just just in terms of killing). For example, yes, Rammus is in Tier 1 of the OP's list but I actually believe he is underrated. The issue is that Rammus offers so much in terms of counter-play. Yes, Rammus hard counters AD champions (esp. ranged AD), but Rammus is also strong against casters (as all tanks generally are). The only group that Rammus is (arguably) weaker against is Assassins, in particular assassins that have a blink ability. Even then, effective use of Powerball and anticipation can still provide some degree of counter to assassins (by counter I mean, intercepting an assassin before he can eliminate a friendly squishy).

I'm using Rammus only as an example--maybe I didn't read the OP post carefully enough and the counterplay is factored into a composite utility score. Also, I do understand that Rammus' counter play is very strong from a "clustering strategy" perspective. However, Rammus' mobility allows him to control a huge amount of space, with the ability to intercept in the jungle with much less risk than other champions face (consider the case of running into Poppy in the woods).

Anyway, great thread, looking forward to updates and further discussion.