How to Play Leona: A Video Guide / LoL & LP Youtube Channel

First Riot Post
12345 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aesa91

09-25-2011

Edit: Please check out my follow-up vlog and tell me which champion I should do a guide on next! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNfdpxPq22s

Hello everyone! =D I've been wanting to make video guides for people for quite a long time, and have finally been able to put together a decent video providing some nice tips on how to play Leona. She's easy to play, easy to get kills with, and can become an unstoppable CC machine if built right late game. I hope you get a chance to check out my video, and let me know what you think! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvSkHTS-yMA

If it suits your fancy, check out the rest of my channel, as well. I've got some drunken Dominion games, various LPs, and assorted funny LoL clips. Thanks for your time! :3

Great posts that have come from this thread that you should read if you are further interested on learning Leona:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
This thread is relevant to my interests!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuark View Post
I upvoted you because your guide is well done and you give some excellent advice in it--especially the stuff about roaming, and about taking Teleport as a summoner spell (something I hadn't considered; I usually roll Exhaust on SR and Garrison on Dominion). As a Leona player myself, I do have kind of a different take on things, though. I'll list my disagreements concisely here, though I'm not sure anyone will read them or care:

1) I use roughly the same masteries, but for runes I actually use the same rune page I use for my AD carries: AD/ARpen reds and quints, flat armor yellows, flat MR glyphs. The reason for this is...

2) I build Trinity Force on Leona. I know, I know, this is a big subject for debate, and I'm actually a convert on this one. I used to think the entire idea was stupid. But then I tried it. And it's amazing. Trinity Force gives Leona everything she needs and nothing she doesn't. It provides her with enough offensive power that her autoattacks actually can become a bit of a threat (with Sheen and Phage procs as well), and the AP gives her spells a little more punch as well. All this while increasing her movespeed, health, etc.

The reason Leona can get away with Trinity Force is her W. It provides amazing natural tankiness which reduces her reliance on pure tank items.

I don't rush Trinity. I start the same way you do: boots, philo stone, heart of gold. Then I get a Phage. Then I usually get a tank item, or part of a tank item--such as a Negatron Cloak, or even an Aegis if my team needs it--before finishing up my Trinity.

3) I do not get Merc Treads on Leona. In fact she's one of the very few champs I don't get Merc Treads on. Leona does not need Tenacity. The reason for this is slightly counter-intuitive but essentially you want the enemy team to use their crowd-control spells on you. Why give them any incentive not to? Every CC used on you is a CC your carry does not have to endure. Moreover, Ionian boots provide that nice chunk of CDR and save you a nice chunk of gold.

Against a typical, balanced team, I find that this item build is very effective:

Philo stone; Ionian Boots; Sunfire Cape (after selling HoG); Aegis of the Legion; Trinity Force; Abyssal Scepter.

The philo stone can be upgraded to Shurelya's, or even Eleisa's Miracle if you're in one of those rare situations where you really do want some Tenacity (yet another reason Merc Treads are unnecessary; you're already packing a very cheap Tenacity option!).

With my build, you deal quite a surprising amount of damage, while remaining durable enough to be extremely annoying to kill. More importantly you lend your team both offensive and defensive power; between your own damage, and your auras, you are an enormous threat to the enemy, which is what a tank needs to be.

Your mileage may vary, but either way thanks for the guide. I did take some good advice away from it, and saw from the video that you're a really skilled player. Definitely going to try Teleport!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFailBus View Post
I'm not going to argue Leona is better than amumu, considering amumu has been perma-banned from ranked since time began and riot still haven't realised he could probably do with balancing properly. Though she IS far less dominant/drought than amumu. Amumu is only a threat when his ulti is up, which has a hefty cooldown. Leona brings solid CC all the time on really low cooldowns. But amumu's ulti is gamechanging, so he wins by default.

However she has some great features and plays really well on duo bot with a ranged ad carry to proc her passive. Singed has in no way the same level of CC leona brings to the table for a team. A fling knockup and a slow compared to a root, stun and huge range stun/slow. Singed is good against noobs, because he does best when the enemy is making dumb mistakes. He has less range but more speed on his side, and gets heftily shafted by ignite.

Alistair's Q is 1.5 seconds worth of CC (1 knockup 0.5 stun). Leona has 1.25 stun on Q, 0.5 root on E, which together are higher than Q's CC. Then her R is 1.5 seconds, leading to a total of 3.25 seconds of CC compared to alistairs 1.5 (plus a bit if you count the knockback as CC time, so possibly 2 seconds). Alistair brings his heal to the table, though that's been nerfed to hell and back.

I'd certainly not be put off if someone picked leona instead of al or singed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alithalor View Post
Yeah I found a HP/CDR based Rune Page seems awesome really early because you have all this Health and your Stun is somewhat spammable but because Leo starts with a bit less HP, Armour and maybe even less MR than most Tanks I found that really aggressive CC Range teams could just poke away my health even if you play passively and especially if the babysittee is terribad and likes to over extend. Ironically enough I found I could be more aggressive with a Tank Rune Page because I mitigated a lot more of the damage from the early pokes.

I also found turning your Phil. Stone into a Shurelya's Reverie to be pretty effective mid/late game.
This one was from Reddit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despotic89
Considering the matching usernames, I'll assume the video and post are by the same person. I felt like thinking/writing about Leona, so ignore me completely if you want :P

Summoners Spells: Flash is always "mandatory," so I won't touch that. Leona's only place currently is bot lane support. Define support how you wish, but it comes down to multiplicative effects, cc, and support shields/heals/etc.

Teleport has it's ganking utility, and can be very effective against players with poor awareness in regards to ganking, but the higher you get in normals or ranked, the better the players. Unfortunately with the way bot lane is currently, Tele provides very little added strength towards winning bot lane, which can very often result in losing the lane and being straight up denied. She cant stop pushes later and leaving her partner means they will die or get denied.

Clairvoyance is an immeasurably valuable summoner spell that cannot be given up in more competitive play. However, some have started experimenting with other lanes getting cv, which leads into the next point. Furthermore, scouting for your ultimate allows to function as a surprise initiator using your ultimate.

If cv is somehow covered elsewhere, an additional exhaust will dramatically increase your chances of winning your lane. While teleport is fun and gimmicky, exhaust scales into late game and serves to either ensure kills bottom lane or as a second chance if you're caught overextended. It's just plain better than teleport on Leona is cv is covered.

Glyphs: Leona doesn't need mana regen. If you are using your spells only to start an engage, someone is going to be dead or too low to stay before you have mana problems. Philo/Reverie/Glacial Shroud/Frozen Heart are more than enough individually to cover your mana use. I'd recommend health/lvl, health regen/lvl, or armor.

Warmog is great on her because of her innate base armor/mr and w, which you've figured out. The problem is gold is not something you will have for the needed return time on it. There are a lot of mid tier items that provide general defense and utility that often outweigh warmog in gold-efficiency. Namely, Heart of Gold, Spirit Visage(cdr), Aegis of the Legion(hyper efficient/support), Catalyst(mana), and Soulshroud(cdr/mana/support), which all build towards a solid health pool, have ward-friendly/reliable build paths, and provide strong side benefits like cdr, all while spiking your strength with every purchase; Warmog, however, doesn't spike, hogs inventory, and requires build up time.

Lastly, and I stress this point to anyone interested in player Leona extensively, be it new or seasoned player, if your ult is up, then use it. Aside from sight, there is nothing limiting it's use for initiating your team into a good position.

Btw, when it comes to video guides short of those by top players on Solomid, this one is very well done. Clearly covers all pregame, item builds, tactics, and some additional tips on top of that. Maybe it's the format or structure, but it's just easy to take and apply info from it.

Blue Milkman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-25-2011

Two kills and only one death. At least I was doing well in the video, haha.

4EG Dhop

09-25-2011

you sound cute :3

Arcqe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2011

inb4 iron stylus comment.

Leirkov

09-25-2011

That was nice. Well done.

Aesa91

09-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH0PP View Post
you sound cute :3
Haha thanks! I've got a few goofy vlogs up if you need proof I'm not a man with a voice modulator. xP

Keitau

09-25-2011

My only complaint is that I like a bit more CDR on Leona, a 30-34 second cooldown on her ult is amazing.

Séraphiel

09-25-2011

Nice work.

RealMithron

09-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesa91 View Post
She's easy to play, easy to get kills with, and can become an unstoppable CC machine if built right late game.
Easy to play: Meh, pretty easy to play.
Easy to get kills with: No. Not at all. She does no damage, and her team mates must proc her passive.
Unstoppable CC machine: Alistar's Q CCs for longer than Leona's Q, E, and R combined. No. She's not even all that tanky with her low HP. I can tank better as Garen (I main both Garen and Leona)

Aesa91

09-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirkov View Post
That was nice. Well done.
Thank you so much! Means a lot! ^_^ I was scared people were going to be mean. XD

12345 ... 11