Champ Info / Tooltips / Help - More of it and clearer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Troy L Jenkins

09-25-2011

There really needs to be more tooltips and easy access to info overall , especially for us noobs. The learning curve is steep in terms of all the detail, not even being able to access it easily doesnt help.

- When picking / hovering over an item it should pop up showing the new item and what you have currently equiped and showing the net changes that will take effect.

- on the loading screen after champs are selected, should be able to hover over / click on all the details

- durring the game , same thing should be able to hover over champs and see their details.

- The various terms that are shown all over the place should have tooltips that explain what the terms mean every time they show up in the item descrptions, on champ detail pages , everywhere.

- there should be not "vauge" stats. It should be clear what AP does for your champ not some vauge notion , with actual details easy to access.

- All this would of course be toggleable in options

Of course a lot of this could be "Fixed" by having a robust addon system similar to other MMOs, but that wouldnt help the really noobish people.

This isn't really specific , its a general design in the interface philosophy that should be adopted.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2011

Agreed, generally. Line-by-line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Spiral View Post
- When picking / hovering over an item it should pop up showing the new item and what you have currently equiped and showing the net changes that will take effect.
This certainly makes sense for MR and Armor.

Actually, a more radical suggestion for MR and Armor: replace numbers like "149" with "72%" (damage reduction). Just give us the results of that 100/100 + Armor formula. This would combine with the above to, e.g., say, "If you buy this Negatron Cloak, your basic magic damage reduction would go from 25% to 40%." or whatever. Especially useful to let noobs know that they're so maxed out on armor that the marginal value of more armor is extremely low.

Quote:
- on the loading screen after champs are selected, should be able to hover over / click on all the details
- durring the game , same thing should be able to hover over champs and see their details.
I wouldn't want a big popup window just from mousing over champs. However, I'd like an easier way to see friendly/enemy champ summary windows. I can't remember how you open those.
I suggest:
(1) implement enemy champ portraits that are clickable (for targeting in teamfight)
(2) add a little "info" button to all portrait boxes. I guess it could be a question-mark or something, but "INFO" doesn't use up that much space.

Quote:
- The various terms that are shown all over the place should have tooltips that explain what the terms mean every time they show up in the item descrptions, on champ detail pages , everywhere.
- there should be not "vauge" stats. It should be clear what AP does for your champ not some vauge notion , with actual details easy to access.
I think most people figure this out pretty fast, but sure, a mouseover would be good.
Relatedly, it would be nice to give the AP ratios in the ability tooltips. You can calculate them if you have at least some AP by checking the parenthetical damage boost, but ... that's sort of a pain. Especially if you're trying a random new champ, it's good to know what the ratios are.

Quote:
- All this would of course be toggleable in options
Certainly.

I have a suggestion which I think would also contribute to this goal:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1281386

This is a proposal for a window you can open to see a record of damage dealt/healed.
Example:

5:29 - VEIGAR - hit YOU for 842 magic damage (Primordial Burst)
5:31 - VEIGAR - hit YOU for 63 physical damage (basic attack)
5:31 - YOU - hit VEIGAR for 14 magic damage (Thornmail)
5:32 - YOU - hit MAOKAI for 143 physical damage (basic attack)
5:33 - YOU - hit MAOKAI for 143 physical damage (basic attack)

Anyway, I agree. Those little icons are nice, but when moused over, some of them just say, e.g., "This unit has additional ability power." How much? It wouldn't be hard to say "50" when it's "50".

The changes to tooltips for items (like Tear and Warmog's) were fantastic. This trend should continue.

Troy L Jenkins

10-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeTrap View Post
Agreed, generally. Line-by-line:

This certainly makes sense for MR and Armor.

Actually, a more radical suggestion for MR and Armor: replace numbers like "149" with "72%" (damage reduction). Just give us the results of that 100/100 + Armor formula. This would combine with the above to, e.g., say, "If you buy this Negatron Cloak, your basic magic damage reduction would go from 25% to 40%." or whatever. Especially useful to let noobs know that they're so maxed out on armor that the marginal value of more armor is extremely low.

I wouldn't want a big popup window just from mousing over champs. However, I'd like an easier way to see friendly/enemy champ summary windows. I can't remember how you open those.
I suggest:
(1) implement enemy champ portraits that are clickable (for targeting in teamfight)
(2) add a little "info" button to all portrait boxes. I guess it could be a question-mark or something, but "INFO" doesn't use up that much space.

I think most people figure this out pretty fast, but sure, a mouseover would be good.
Relatedly, it would be nice to give the AP ratios in the ability tooltips. You can calculate them if you have at least some AP by checking the parenthetical damage boost, but ... that's sort of a pain. Especially if you're trying a random new champ, it's good to know what the ratios are.

Certainly.

I have a suggestion which I think would also contribute to this goal:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1281386

This is a proposal for a window you can open to see a record of damage dealt/healed.
Example:

5:29 - VEIGAR - hit YOU for 842 magic damage (Primordial Burst)
5:31 - VEIGAR - hit YOU for 63 physical damage (basic attack)
5:31 - YOU - hit VEIGAR for 14 magic damage (Thornmail)
5:33 - YOU - hit MAOKAI for 143 physical damage (basic attack)

Anyway, I agree. Those little icons are nice, but when moused over, some of them just say, e.g., "This unit has additional ability power." How much? It wouldn't be hard to say "50" when it's "50".

The changes to tooltips for items (like Tear and Warmog's) were fantastic. This trend should continue.
+1 did a better job of explaining it than I did that's for sure.

Troy L Jenkins

10-16-2011

Much of this im sort of in shock it isn't already implimited, many of the things listed have been "gaming design 101" for at least a decade.