Issue with how points are earned/lost

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alden Cross

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homitu View Post
/boggleinfrustration

Again, we're incorrectly using the term "careless" as a synonym for"points being removed from one nexus." Points are removed from one nexus or the other almost constantly during a game, and it's not always the result of one team being careless. Both teams can play ridiculously carelessly 100% of the time, throughout the entire game, and one of those teams will still win. You don't split this imaginary carelessness percentage stat between both teams. The game doesn't end when one team reaches >51% maximum carelessness. It ends when one nexus has 0 points.

Likewise, both teams can play incredibly carefully for, say, 95% of the match (Ie. 19 out of 20 minutes.) And yet, one team will still surely win. Wow! The maths iz magic.

Oh, and then there are the quests. You can conceivably never take a majority turret lead, complete every quest before your opponent, and still win.
To reiterate. I wasn't looking into that sort of aspect when I am talking about 'carelessness'. On another note, I was addressing an argument that a 'careless' team could win if they had played idiotically for about '80%' of the game'.

Obviously, that is not without a big stretch, true. In order to win they would have to at some point(some assumption that there was idiocy to begin with, on one team or both, and of course, if both teams were being idiotic then it could also come down to luck, yaddayaddayadda), stopped being idiotic. When they stopped being idiotic, they would claw back, extending the length of the game, so this '80% of the game' by itself is no longer true.

Ryftweaver

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcup View Post
I can't remember the final score, but I know they had less than 10 points on their nexus, and we had over 100 when they took over 3+ nodes for the rest of the game.

All I can say is, wait until it happens to you, when you're scratching your head at the end of the game saying, "How did we lose?"

Then look at everyone on the other team that had more deaths than kills, and everyone on your team that had more kills than deaths. Sure, it sounds good on paper, gotta make sure everyone has a chance to win. Sorry, I'm not a sore loser, I'll tip my hat to a better team, but this gameplay does not show who the better team was.
dude this happens all the time in SR too. there will be games where my team dominates and the enemy team simply decides that they can't win a team fight and only tries to play defensive while one split pushes. then finally at the end we start team fighting and suddenly we can't get ANY kills and they ace us every fight. then i start paying attention to my team more and i notice that cassiopeia rushed a AA staff and still has no deathcap and vayne has no hp items and is to afraid to deal dmg when my team engages. so basically we couldn't deal any dmg even though we had like 2 insanely high DPS champs and i was playing tank and the enemy team would just blow all the cooldowns on me and i would die... then we would lose... oh i'm playing udyr btw... tibbers stun his me and no one else? lol... garen ignites me and ults too? lawl! oh wait my team is going full R E T A R D... umm kill something plz? oh darn how do we lose a team fight when the enemy team targets the tank????

Best Atheist NA

09-24-2011

Ok, to reemphasize, by carelessness I am simply meaning people that play wrecklessly and don't value their champion's life. I don't think suicide strategies should be promoted in any type of game format. I'm not saying people purposely die, but I'm seeing alot of people not really avoiding death. They just figure, meh, I'll deal whatever damage I can, and if I die, oh well, I'll be respawned in 10 seconds anyway.

I'd like the game to be about the champions. Right now, the the current state of Dominion, it doesn't matter if you've died 30 times, and have no gear. If you're there to click a capture point, you're fine.

In Summoner's Rift, as an example, you killed champions to help gear yourself up to take out turrets, inhibitors and eventually the nexus. In Dominion, it doesn't seem to matter much. Click to win.

Dr FeelGood69

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcup View Post
Sorry, played WoW for 4 years. I don't know, to me, I don't like it. I like the fact that there's still that "comeback factor" in the game, but with that being said, you're opening up for the "lucky factor" at the end of the game. The strongest team should win, not the one that can get lucky for the last 2 minutes and win.

In football, the team that plays the strongest 60 minutes usually wins, not the team that has one good drive.
Well this isn't wow, so if u dont like it go back to wow? QQ.

Best Atheist NA

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryftweaver View Post
dude this happens all the time in SR too.
It does? Since when? I'm fairly new to LoL, with less than 500 games played, and I've maybe seen less than 5 occurences of a major comeback. And thats because the losing team was able to level up and gear from the massive waves of minions pushing into their base, and the other team's sloppy play in our base.

If I had to give a number, I'd say less than 2% of all wins on LoL come from an epic comeback.

Why is that? Its because the team that kills more tilts the ramp, making it a downhill fight with every kill. You get ahead on levels, you get ahead on gear. In Dominion, dying just does not affect the game very much, if at all.

Best Atheist NA

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Swisscheese View Post
Well this isn't wow, so if u dont like it go back to wow? QQ.
Keeping this thread constructive please. Take the trolling elsewhere.

and...

A) I never said I wanted to go back to WoW
B) I was using it as an example of a similar capture-point game
C) Never said I didn't like it. Just don't fully understand Riot's intent with a certain mechanic.

kanevivi

09-24-2011

i am having trouble trying to put it into a way you can understand.... it's to make you do more team fights and tooth and nail it. there is to be that fun until the last point is gone you can turn a match around. and make the fight go on. i think longest match we had was 19 minutes because both teams went at each other like it was life and death shortest was 15 and that was a most game 5 point hold.

Controled

09-24-2011

@original poster

Most of the thread was TLDR but I didn't see anyone discuss this.

Could the point system be intentional to compensate for Champion Balance?

This game has FAR more variables then a game of Arathi Basin.
This mechanic really compensates for champions that start off slow and snowball into the unstoppable. This really allows them a chance to be viable.

It also rewards teams that are organized.
The team with the snowball champs might allow the enemy to get an early lead. While focusing on minions and feeding their carries.
Then they complete a few quests, grab a buff and take the windmill, then they are right back in the game.

Sounds like that is how it should be played to me.

Vanisher1

09-24-2011

This allows comebacks , i like it.

OmySpy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2011

Comebacks and close games are the most fun, IMO, and the current system allows for lots of this (today ended a game at 8 to 0 Nexus health, SO INTENSE) If a team not in control of the map could still do damage, any game that started with one team dominating (maybe 200 points ahead?) would immediately warrant a surrender, as the losing team would be very close to 0 even if they managed to come back in captures. I feel that the Arathi Basin system would make Dominion more like the "pro" meta of Classic, where if you aren't winning the early game you should just surrender instead of trying. I'd rather play the full game, and the team that can control the map should win.