Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Issue with how points are earned/lost

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alden Cross

09-24-2011

Quote:
Nutcup:
Why not, is the better question. Again, this is Arathi Basin 2.0. For each node you control, you take X amount of health from the enemy nexus per second. The more you control, the better, obviously. If you have a huge lead in the final minute of the 4th quarter, take a knee and run out the clock. You won, you deserve it. You don't put in 5 WR's and throw it down the middle.

On the flip side of that, how is it fair the OTHER team can be careless for 80% of the game, and still have a chance to win? It has to work both ways.

If the team is careless for 80% of the game, they lost.

However, if they came back to win, they stopped being careless for at least 51% of the game. The length of the game is for a point to go down to zero, not when it is 320-20. A team that loses isn't being careless for 20% of the game, they got careless for 49% of it and paid the price for assuming 'it was over'.

There is no time limit, Just points, Its not a football match where a 'slip' at the 99th minute will determine loss or victory.

Your constant comparison to Arathi Basin is honestly irrelevant. This is the League. This is NOT world of warcraft.

Best Atheist NA

09-24-2011

Quote:
Alden Cross:
Let's go with your logic tree.

You are holding 3 points, opponent is holding two. You see one of your opponents capping the Windmill. You go for him. Oh wait, Your friend is coming along too because he's following Decision 2). Not just your friend, your entire team is coming up! OMG, the other two points are now undefended and have been neuted!

Sorry, but that's more or less the same as saying

1) Enemy is pushing mid/top/bottom, everyone defend there!
2) Enemy is pushing mid/top/bottom, everyone push another lane!

I agree, but I dont see any communication, as everyone keeps saying. But I guess its still early, and you're probably playing with Dominion first-timers in some of the matches. Hard to say.

Xeenos

09-24-2011

The point of this game mode is to control MORE POINTS than the enemy, if you control 1 more point than the enemy you are slowly ticking health off their nexus, when the score is above 100 you can also get dmg on the enemy nexus by killing heroes, when you control 4 nodes and the enemy controls 1 node you tick points off their nexus faster, 5 being the fastest, so lets say you control 3 and you manage to nuetralize an enemy point but not finish capping it, thats fine too because for that brief period you control 3 to their 1 which is to say you control 2 more points than them instead of 1, faster tick on their nexus. holding three is the sure and steady way to victory, though you can take advantage of weaknesses in the enemy at certain times and take 4 for a little while to get a lead

Alden Cross

09-24-2011

Quote:
Nutcup:
I agree, but I dont see any communication, as everyone keeps saying. But I guess its still early, and you're probably playing with Dominion first-timers in some of the matches. Hard to say.

To be honest... at the mix and match level, if both sides don't communicate with one another, it does come down to luck as oppose to any solid skill

Alden Cross

09-24-2011

Quote:
Nutcup:
Um... I know what you want me to say, so I won't go there, so I will say this. The better team would be the one that knows their champions better, and um, knows how to not die?

You *wanted* me to say the team that has the better K/D/A, right? Come on, you know people play this to kill other champions, and the team that does that usually wins.

I wanted to know what you meant by better team. You are giving me the description of a better player. Knowing your champions better and knowing how to run away from fights doesn't necessarily mean you coordinated your team better.

Homitu

09-24-2011

As others have said, the mechanic you're baffled about is indeed intended. It was introduced and explained as such by the devs well before they even made the limited betas available. I would have thought someone who is concerned enough to make a forum post about it would have checked to make sure he wasn't making a big to do about something that was entirely obvious to the rest of the community first.

Quote:
Nutcup:

In football, the team that plays the strongest 60 minutes usually wins, not the team that has one good drive.

Terrible analogy in this case. Coaches tell their players to play for a full 60 minutes precisely because teams that have played well and dominated for 59 minutes but relaxed during that final minute have lost...many times.

A slightly more accurate numerical comparison to the game you spoke of in your OP would be a team that played well for 3 and a half quarters, then blew it in the final 8 minutes. Colts comeback against the Bucs, or Jets against the Dolphins anyone?

The "play for a full 60 minutes" philosophy actually makes the exact opposite point you wish to make, which seems to be that if one team (clearly the better team in your opinion) plays well for 90% of the game but screws up for the final 10%, they should still win. Also, the idea that the "better" team should always win is a load of **** in the sports (or gaming) world. The '98 Vikings were probably better than the Falcons, but they lost to them in the NFC championship. The perfect 16-0 '07 Patriots lost to the 10-6 Giants in the superbowl. Victory isn't predetermined. There's a reason they play the game. Of course it could be argued that the proper definition for the "better" team would be the team that won the game.

Caidos

09-24-2011

The winner will always hold a majority of points for 500 resources' worth of time. Every ****ing time. That's the win condition.

You value teams that complete the majority of the win condition early. You feel that a team that can get 480 points has already "won" the game even though they didn't complete the win condition. Completing most of the win condition early entitles them to take it easy in the end and collect their win. What about team comps with all late-game oriented people? What about superior strategy? They lose early, but they complete the win condition. And again, the winning team will always hold a majority of points for longer, because that's the win condition. Holding a majority during the first two minutes pushes your team towards the win condition exactly as much as the final two minutes.

Narogsun

09-24-2011

lost to a really bad team XD they maybe didn't play great at first but the won so GG

Creamsoda

09-24-2011

Not to feed the Nutcup, but the OP only wants others to agree with him; he cares not if the other viewpoints are well thought out or even logical. Downvote and move on ;|

pavi132

09-24-2011

Quote:
Nutcup:
When I was playing Dominion yesterday, I noticed something that I'm not sure anyone has talked about yet. When you control "capture points", you are constantly taking health from the enemy team's nexus. However, this seems to only happen when you control MORE points than the enemy team.

So... Lets say you're 1 point away from winning, and the other team controls 3+ bases for the rest of the game. They will eventually win.

I know some of you have compared Dominion to Arathi Basin-style of play from World of Warcraft, and at first, thats how I thought it was. But I guess that's not the case, or am I missing something? If you control at least ONE base, you should be ticking off damage from the enemy nexus, just not at the same rate as if you controlled 4 bases.

Is this intended? The last game I played yesterday was an example of this. We totally crushed the other team. Had control of 3-4 bases the whole game, but we got kind of sloppy for the last 2-3 minutes and ended up losing, against a really bad team (sorry). Everyone on their team was bad, everyone had negative scores (Yes I know K/D/A doesn't mean as much in Dominion, but let's be real here. Good players don't die 17 times and win games).

Thoughts on this? IMO, if you have a big enough lead, you should still be able to win by holding 1-2 bases at the end, and force the other team to 5-cap you to win.

The thing is, Riot wants this mode to be a spectacle. It is much more of a spectacle if you can come back from having only 1 point left to win the game than it is to just watch it tick down because even if you 4 cap they can still win by holding and turtling on the one point at the end of the game because of their lead.