The Effects of the Crystal Scar on CDR

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valnnar

09-24-2011

So I've been absolutely loving Dominion beta testing and have been doing quite successfully so far in the handful of matches I've played. I have noticed one common strength between many of the different champions that I've attempted to play on Crystal Scar. . . Low Cooldown Ultimates.

Champions who have Ultimates on 120+ second CDs have been much less successful for me than those who can afford to use their Ulti in each engagement without penalty. Which leads me to believe that CDR builds may become more viable on champs that may have otherwise just stacked AP in the past.

Most of my successful games have been with Talon having 40% CDR, giving his Ultimate a 24 sec CD (Maybe Talon is just OP in Crystal Scar, I dunno). Which has meant for me, that nearly every skirmish that I get myself into I am able to use it as apart of my kit. However I've seen less success in Champions with Ultimates that have more kick and more Cooldown, such as Brand or Rumble.

In a game type that lasts 17-23 mins, we are playing for up to effectively 1/3 the amount of time that the Champions are originally balanced for. Which means those who can only use their Ultimates every 2 mins, may only get 8-10 uses at max. Not to mention that the 5v5 situations where many of those Ultimates where scaled for/around don't happen nearly as much on Crystal Scar. Small scale skirmishes happen much more often, and may often devalue large scale Ultimates on champs like Amumu, Morgana, or Rumble.

In anycase, I believe champions may prefer higher amounts of CDR rather than raw AP simply so that they can toss off their powerful abilities in most of the small skirmishes that they encounter. And we may see a rise in power on the champions that have low base cooldowns on their class defining Ultimates.

What do you think? Will the big bang Ultimates still be as effective? Or will the small scale and reusable bursts rise to the top?

Another thought. . . If Cooldown becomes a huge priority, and movespeed is always in high demand, especially on a capture point map, then I believe that the Utility mastery tree will see a significant rise in usage among all builds and Champs.

Added the following section from page two, for new readers to see and add input on as well.

Quote:
Another thought. . . If Cooldown becomes a huge priority, and movespeed is always in high demand, especially on a capture point map, then I believe that the Utility mastery tree will see a significant rise in usage among all builds and Champs.

Along with rise of Per level Runes. You start the game at level 3, and cap one territory and level to 4. . . many per level runes start paying off higher than flats around level 6-7. Now with level 1 fights being non existent, and the fast paced growth, I believe that we will see a massive rise in the use of all Per Level Scaling runes in CS.

This is obvious and basic stuff, but I wonder what the community thinks of it in general.

Valnnar

09-24-2011

I'd also be curious in hearing which champs you guys have had the most success with on Crystal Scar, as further data for my hypothesis.

Kryptix

09-24-2011

Orianna, Karma, Vayne, Brand, and Trundle are all champions I've found to be really strong in CS.

InfiniteVoid316

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-24-2011

most success on dominion? shaco. but it is not necessarily because of his ultimate. although it is a nice thing to have.

EvilVegan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2011

My best is Leona for some reason... But I've lost all the games I've played in it so that's not saying much.

LordAerthos

09-24-2011

I've only played one Dominion game so far, but Twisted Fate was fantastic. He doesn't really handle any differently than on Summoner's Rift, but the smaller arena allows for great backdooring to steal capture points behind enemy lines.

Lando Heffalump

09-24-2011

thought the OP was very well written and I agree

Camen Sieder

09-24-2011

have you seen AP kog with an insta cooldown on his ult where he can just spam the hell out of anyone, while he rolls out the ooze and nukes you down some more?

Yeah cooldowns are huge on CS

I like to play ez with cooldowns so I can stop the turrets from being taken with my ult. seems to work pretty good so far, but he is hellu squish for that map

Valtièl

09-24-2011

I switch between Riven, Lux, and Renekton. I've won most of my Dominion games.

Lux was tricky to get the hang of but when i figured out she was best suited to utility + harass she started doing well for me. I get +3 boots for movement speed 1st and then rush the item that lets you cap faster + morello's tome which gives me max CDR with runes/masteries. Hover around the 3 closest caps to your base, lazor anyone who tries to cap and then harass from a distance. DON'T ENGAGE... you get eaten :P

Zefith

09-24-2011

Lux ulti! 18 sec point capture interrupt so good