Dominion will take E-sports by storm

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lagutar

09-23-2011

Just a prediction, but I feel like Dominion is great for e-sports.

Matches are shorter, and they'll hold the attention span of casual gamers a lot more readily than a 30-40 minute SR game will. Particularly due to the lack of a laning phase. Starcraft, easily one of the most, if not the most, successful professional e-sport in the world contains matches to between 5-20 minutes which makes tournament play a lot more fast-paced and entertaining. Games are slow to start, have a mid-phase with some skirmishes, and then an epic ending phase. The arc of the game is nice. I'm a little concerned for the casters though. ^^

The game requires skill. I know that currently there are a lot of people who think otherwise, but I argue that being good at Dominion is about knowing champs, map awareness, and understanding map objectives... much like Summoner's rift... and much like most of the rest of e-sports games. Map awareness in Dominion is very much akin to SR. You have to know where champs where, when to attack, when to defend, etc. You need to know that controlling 3 points is key and map domination, just like in SR, is an invaluable strategic advantage.

The matches are fun to watch. I love watching Dominion streaming at ANY play level just as much as I like playing it. This is awesome, because it lets me be involved in the game by playing it and I'm familiar enough with it that I can watch a competitive match and appreciate what's going on. SR shares this quality, but I think that CS is better because of the aforementioned reasons.

Anyway, I predict competitive Dominion is going to rock the world... and I can't wait to see it happen.

Hannor

09-23-2011

I think the higher accessibility is going to make the biggest difference. You have to rely more on your awareness and tactical thinking instead of clicking skills.

All the threads about getting better at SR have one thing in common, be super good at last hitting. This is a skill most people never bother trying to learn, and therefore they can never see themselves as pros. Sure, there are other skills, but most people grasp and handle these skills pretty well. The fact that last hitting for twenty minutes is more important than tactical thinking makes pro games boring and appear very esoteric.

Roganzar

09-23-2011

There is some truth to this though I don't know how much. Dominion is a much better paced and action orientated game than Summoner's Rift, not that SR can't/isn't action packed it's just spread out more. I really like that it doesn't focus on "last hits" but focuses on team work. I like not having to worry about getting that last hit in, it's satisfying if I do, but instead driving my opponent away stopping him/her from capping.
As far as esports go this could do it, but a plug for Extra Credits who just did a show on Pro-Gaming is needed.
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/pro-gaming

Kelenas

09-23-2011

Having watched streams of Dominion I can say pretty confidently that this mode is not half as fun to watch as it is too play. The pace is simply too fast, there is too much going on at any one time for commentators to really show any picture of how the game is going. Nor is there any time for explaining the mechanics of what's going on. In a pro summoner's rift game, commentators can(in theory) see fights coming and comment on what abilities do what.

Hannor

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelenas View Post
Having watched streams of Dominion I can say pretty confidently that this mode is not half as fun to watch as it is too play. The pace is simply too fast, there is too much going on at any one time for commentators to really show any picture of how the game is going. Nor is there any time for explaining the mechanics of what's going on. In a pro summoner's rift game, commentators can(in theory) see fights coming and comment on what abilities do what.
You should keep in mind the observer mode they use for games now. i have been using CV in games, and you can spot a fight coming from a good way off.

Xpose101

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelenas View Post
Commentators dont even focus on every little fight, they go to the big ones that count and Dominion is no different, they will focus on the big team fights

nephdj

09-23-2011

I think has a large chance in NA of becoming big as people like jumping onto whatever is new, not so sure about europe and asia. They normally stick to whats proven even when sequels come out.

Lagutar

09-23-2011

I love the Dominion forum so much better than General. Like I said in my post, I feel sort of sorry for casters, because in Dominion they really have their work cut out for them. If you saw the first Riot livestream from PAX, I think, then you saw some really good casting being done. You're right though, that there won't be enough "educational moments" during casts, but you could easily add some of that during the ban-pick phase of drafts. I mean... it's like 15 minutes of downtime before every match.

Unclephillip

09-23-2011

It'd be too hard to keep track of and commentate

Lagutar

09-24-2011

I don't think so. I can already keep up with matches when watching replays. I wish I had observer mode! If I can get some good replays together, I want to do a cast.