Dominion problems, suggestions, summary

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crosis

09-23-2011

So like many others I was very excited for dominion after playing a couple of games there are some huge problems facing it. Now this I hope will be a post Riot can learn alot about from.

First the Core concept of Dominion is great, the problem is it heavily favors a certain type of "hero pool". Now I am pretty much an AP player, i prefer ap based heros although i can easily play AD etc. Now the main strength of AP is early game, but in dominion there is no farm and the EXP comes fast. Meaning that the part of the game that AP was balanced around almost becomes non existant.

Example: Leblanc prob one of the BEST early game heroes does pretty well on dominion, but with 500 AP i could not kill a 2000 hp trynd without ulti etc in one combo, now he had no MR runes etc and iv played leblanc alot, (i also had -40 resists from items) Now in Summoners rift this would have EASILY killed him but for some reason it did not in Dominion wether there is a bug with AP heroes doing less then intended damage i dont know but alot of AP players other then myself feel that AP is just doing alot less damage then AD right now.

Now another thing that is irritating is why is there a 15% armor pen and 5% magic pen? This again just favors the AD more. Also alot of new AD type items but no AP caster ones?

Also the heroes with no mana pool thrive on this map, because they have no effective resource so heroes reliant on mana kill a player then another fresh one comes and cleans up, because they are oom. And heroes highly reliant on CDs versus those with low ones are at a disadvantage.

Example: Akali is pretty amazing on this map, leesin etc. Akali has low CDs, No resource pool, and snowballs fast using both debuffs.

The map is awesome, but it also allows for very gimicky builds to dominate. Such as a pure MS rammus who gets the speed buff during his roll and can just point hop without anyone being able to effectively catch him. There is no way to effectively counter this because by the time u get to the point even one right next to ur base hes either capped it and gone or books it the second u come. Same with a kassadin who just utli hops around the map.

Another issue is the heroes who rely on spellvamp/lifesteal like Vlad are just painful to play. While vlad has a strong lategame the whole point of him using his own hp is that he can recover alot of it back using Q/W and a WoTA (W at a certain % of life). Problem is the -25% healing makes it very hard to abuse his full kit like in summoners rift.

Against bad players/teams AP might seem fine but against skilled players the huge difference in dominion is very apparent.

Suggestions:
- Make caping take slightly longer to cap a point so there is more time to respond and a hero like rammus cant just zoom around capping points over and over in rapid succession.

- Lower the -armor pen or increase the magic pen. Or remove them both completely because they arent needed imo.

- Make the healing reduction only work on direct spells and abilties such as garens passive and mundos.

- I know this might be alot to ask but look into the long CD based heroes that rely on using their whole kit to kill player. Because heroes respawn so fast that you blow all your stuff on one guy and another second one respawns at full hp and depending on the type of champion type will kill you.

- Do something for heavy mana oriented heroes like make the health packs return mana back also. Or make a buff that lowers the mana cost on abilities by like 20% or something. Cause some heroes who require a heavy mana item like tear of the goddess can never reach the mana cap, or a RoA who most of the time will not get the full benefit till the game is over.

- Another Idea is make it so points pulse health/mana regen while the player has not be in combat for 10 seconds. This will make defending better and not make it so a point close to a spawn can just keep being hammered at or steady stream of players respawning eventually kill the defender.

Maybe some items have to be redone like banshees veil. Idk but there is deffinately a huge difference in terms of strength going from one hero type to another or certain heroes even in the same archtype then others.

I know its still new but this is the feedback of someone whos played dota based games for years, hero arenas etc. And the problem is when u balance heroes for the DoTA type gameplay they need alot more work when using them for a different type of game such as dominion. A Global buff/nerf "to balance" doesnt really work for every hero.

Please lets keep this thread civilized and not into a flame fest or a "you suck you dont know what youre talking about". If you feel differently then say so and why you feel a person is wrong, or if you got more points state them and describe what needs to be changed or lookout so you arent just making generic statements like this sucks without any direction for riot to go from there.

Crosis

09-23-2011

Also they can have different balances for different heroes on each type of map, that wouldnt affect summoners rift. So hopefully i dont see any "god no not balance changes for certain heroes on dominion it will kill them in summoners rift"

Xgraliee

09-23-2011

have u try cata? that is broken... for caster...it make caster almost non mana dependent...when u go kass, and rift walk all over the map and still not run into mana problem.. u know its broken. who need mana reg, when u have cata as a caster on dom... u lvl up so faster that mana is not a problem.

Crosis

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgraliee View Post
have u try cata? that is broken... for caster...it make caster almost non mana dependent...when u go kass, and rift walk all over the map and still not run into mana problem.. u know its broken. who need mana reg, when u have cata as a caster on dom... u lvl up so faster that mana is not a problem.
Kassadin can already rift walk all over the map, and do you mean katarina or caitlyn? cause im unfamiliar with the hero "cata" and your post is pretty unclear.

really

Recruiter

09-23-2011

You couldn't kill someone in one combo? How tragic...

Crosis

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by really View Post
You couldn't kill someone in one combo? How tragic...
Yea it is when that hero turns around and kill you in 2 shots. Certain heroes are meant to be able to kill people in one combo or they die, prime example is leblanc.

Rioter on my friends list was also in disbelief when i told him and was asking me every variable. This riot player was 2300 rated in season 1, so i guess we are noobs to be shocked that leblanc with 500 ap couldnt kill a hero in one combo with no mr/defense items on them. I made this thread for others to give their feedback and thoughts about what could be done to better for dominion not try to be rude/disrespectful.

Xgraliee

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis86 View Post
Kassadin can already rift walk all over the map, and do you mean katarina or caitlyn? cause im unfamiliar with the hero "cata" and your post is pretty unclear.
sry, i mean the Item "Catalyst the Protector". and no, kassadin cant rift walk all over the map without mana.

are u sure that tryn didnt just ult? that is why u cant kill him in one combo? and tryn...can two shot u even in SR if he can hit u... and Leb is one of the stronger caster on this mode. and u pick one of the most op champ in this mode too...to go against. tryn is really ><! in this mode. up there with Ram. he is only keep down in SR with his CS and by kiting and CC.

Brand and Aniv are really strong defenders too. they just play different role in Dom then they did in SR. its a different mode. try a few things. and get Catalyst. so you get the heal for Hp and Mana. it make caster more OP in substance than those with no mana.

really

Recruiter

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis86 View Post
Yea it is when that hero turns around and kill you in 2 shots. Certain heroes are meant to be able to kill people in one combo or they die, prime example is leblanc.

Rioter on my friends list was also in disbelief when i told him and was asking me every variable. This riot player was 2300 rated in season 1, so i guess we are noobs to be shocked that leblanc with 500 ap couldnt kill a hero in one combo with no mr/defense items on them. I made this thread for others to give their feedback and thoughts about what could be done to better for dominion not try to be rude/disrespectful.
Yea well I am best friends with the developers and they said it's all good because I said so and you should believe me. Anyhow...

Certain champs are less useful in SR, some are less useful in TT. Why do you expect it to be any different in dominion?

Roganzar

09-23-2011

I agree with the health pack restoring some mana when you grab them.

Crosis

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgraliee View Post
sry, i mean the Item "Catalyst the Protector". and no, kassadin cant rift walk all over the map without mana.

are u sure that tryn didnt just ult? that is why u cant kill him in one combo? and tryn...can two shot u even in SR if he can hit u... and Leb is one of the stronger caster on this mode. and u pick one of the most op champ in this mode too...to go against. tryn is really ><! in this mode. up there with Ram. he is only keep down in SR with his CS and by kiting and CC.

Brand and Aniv are really strong defenders too. they just play different role in Dom then they did in SR. its a different mode. try a few things. and get Catalyst. so you get the heal for Hp and Mana. it make caster more OP in substance than those with no mana.
I get catalyst, and no he didnt have ulti up, he even said it and he had 5% life after the combo.

And most kassadins will get RoA/Tear of the goddess in dominion if they want to do that strategy.

Anivia is a heavy mana based hero and cant defend forever or against multiple opponents back to back. Brand is pretty good on dominion because hes not as mana dependant or cd dependant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by really View Post
Yea well I am best friends with the developers and they said it's all good because I said so and you should believe me. Anyhow...

Certain champs are less useful in SR, some are less useful in TT. Why do you expect it to be any different in dominion?
And the champions who are overpowered in Summoners Rift gets nerfed and the weak ones buffed. And this isnt a hero its certain types of heroes mainly AP compared to AD.

And unlike you i dont lie i was talking to a riot employee who happens to be plat on my friends list, not gonna defend myself more then that in regards to that part of the subject.