'Unusually large number of logins'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snackrifice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

How can they put up the phrase 'We are experiencing an unusually large number of logins' when it's not unusual at all, it's actually quite regular. Imo put up

Quote:
We are experiencing the usual large number of logins

Who's with me?

Scrazlor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Because they can, they're riot.

Marshallis Lodgium

09-23-2011

...?

Unusual means "more than usual" or in this case "more than the client can handle all at once." Whenever this message comes up, it probably means that a large number of people are all trying to login at once. Just because the normal number of logins is large doesn't mean that there cannot exist a situation where far more than the usual large number of logins are entering the system, and thus the message will still make sense.

If you are implying that you are always seeing this message whenever you log in, then that is what we would call "bad luck."

EdgarAllanProse

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshallis Lodgium View Post
...?

Unusual means "more than usual" or in this case "more than the client can handle all at once." Whenever this message comes up, it probably means that a large number of people are all trying to login at once. Just because the normal number of logins is large doesn't mean that there cannot exist a situation where far more than the usual large number of logins are entering the system, and thus the message will still make sense.

If you are implying that you are always seeing this message whenever you log in, then that is what we would call "bad luck."
You can't really say unusually high when it gets an 'unusually' high number of logins every single day.

Marshallis Lodgium

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAnony View Post
You can't really say unusually high when it gets an 'unusually' high number of logins every single day.
It's a difference of expectations and occurances. If the client expects X number of logons at any point in time, and a number of people larger than X attempt to logon to the client at that time, the client sees that number as "unusually high" regardless of how regular an occurrence an "unusually high" number of logons is. And besides, it's not as if it happens every day at the exact same time as the exact same amount of people log on. It fluctuates, it's dynamic, and it's unpredictable. Which is why the can say a particular number at a particular time on a particular day is unusually high, because it is.

Wasselin

09-23-2011

Yes they should remove the word "unusually"

Akurionn

09-23-2011

Why do they STILL have this problem over a year after release and just before their second season starts is my question..?

SlickAlex

10-05-2011

I think that the phrase "unusually high number of logins" is accurate. I recently saw a very unusually high number of logins. over 20,000! And shortly after that, I got a message stating that *The server is busy, please try back later".
Did we crash the login server? I can't access the "play" button anymore.

I wonder what the threshold for usual logins is?

KrogothS

10-05-2011

Apparently everyone and their mother wants to play the new Mage.

VCJunky

10-05-2011

I think they liberally use the world "unusually" because it's "unusual" for the servers/hardware they have in place to support the amount of traffic that they are getting.

In a time sense though, you are correct that this is not an "unusual" occurrence because it does happen quite frequently.