Dominion is a skill-less version of League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Minimobster

09-23-2011

SR is too limited IMO.
Dominion allows you to break away from that toxic "Gotta get a high CS" frame of mind.

Until about 15 minutes, SR is farm, flash away from death, farm some more, repeat.

Dominion starts you at level three, which allows you to do more in a shorter amount of time. It's extremely fast-paced, unlike the very slow SR which can sometimes take over an hour to play. Dominion will last about 20 minutes.

And there is skill involved. But not skill in how you play your champion like SR. It's more skill of the mind in capturing strategic points from your enemy.

IMO the best opening game strategy is to have one person run to your bottom point and capture. Have 4 run top with ghost, and one of the four captures the point on the way. The other three rush the Windmill and try to capture it before the enemy.

Vember

09-23-2011

Dominion definitely has a strategy are you kidding? It's a capture and hold game and you really think there's no strategy? You high?

Just because you aren't seeing people use strategy doesn't mean it doesn't have any.. you think a premade team of 5 with a good strategy isn't going to absolutely stomp all the chaotic random pugs? If so you need your head checked sir.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

PoisonedTea

09-23-2011

its a different game I get bored of it really

Watafool

09-23-2011

Alterac?

Bear Gryllž

Recruiter

09-23-2011

There have only been 2 betas available to everyone. It's kind of like when a new champ comes out and everyone says they suck. Give it time. I'll tell you what dominion does teach, MAP AWARENESS. And I'm pretty sure that is an important skill even in SR.

Gløry

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargurt View Post
Fixed
Haha, well. Alterac Valley had problems because the map wasn't symmetrical, and AB was saved only by virtue of the fact that individual player skill DID matter in WoW. You had 20-30 moves instead of 4, and the classes were, dare I say it, more balanced than the League of Legends heroes (9-10 vs, um, 85). I like that analogy though.

And to all the people saying I hate dominion, yadda yadda, no. I played it for several hours straight yesterday and had a great time. But I was frustrated that pretty much anyone, no matter how bad you are at Summoner's Rift, can pretty much stroll into Dominion and do just fine. There's nothing about the Dominion game mode that separates bad players from good players. It's the epitome of a casual game mode. This is fine, it's still fun. But it's unsatisfying in the long term, because you're bound to get beaten by team comp sooner or later, as you have no way of outmaneuvering their superior picks (lane better, gank better, secure dragon/baron better, position better, etc).

Gløry

09-23-2011

I'd argue that Map Awareness isn't needed in Dominion. At least not the way I'm going to define it. Map awareness in SR, to me, is knowing where your enemies are, even if you can't see them on the minimap. Being inside the minds of the other team to know probably what they are doing, whether it's ganking you bc you're overextended, their mid lane heading to the jungle to pick up blue, whatever.

On Dominion, you have full vision of the other team at all times, more or less. I mean come on. There is no skill involved in knowing where your enemy is. And you don't even have to pay for the privilege like in SR.

Samenko

09-23-2011

Dominion isn't a MOBA. It's a mini-game that requires a lot less skill. Basically first person shooter/super smash brothers. It's not League.

But is it a fun break? **** yes it is.

h34v3nDust

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

I agree

Gløry

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimobster View Post
SR is too limited IMO.
Dominion allows you to break away from that toxic "Gotta get a high CS" frame of mind.

Until about 15 minutes, SR is farm, flash away from death, farm some more, repeat.

Dominion starts you at level three, which allows you to do more in a shorter amount of time. It's extremely fast-paced, unlike the very slow SR which can sometimes take over an hour to play. Dominion will last about 20 minutes.

And there is skill involved. But not skill in how you play your champion like SR. It's more skill of the mind in capturing strategic points from your enemy.

IMO the best opening game strategy is to have one person run to your bottom point and capture. Have 4 run top with ghost, and one of the four captures the point on the way. The other three rush the Windmill and try to capture it before the enemy.
So all you said here is, "summoner's rift takes too long to get interesting." Well I think SR is interesting from the get-go. Slow paced, maybe, but there are still things going on. Harassment in lane, who is last hitting better, whose lane is pushing and who might get ganked. Flash...is flash. There IS gameplay going on here. Dominion, it's free gold for everyone regardless of whether you're doing a good job. And your opening strat is indeed what I see most times--but that's no more strategic depth than your BGleader yelling out G1Mines G2Blacksmith G3 Lumber Mill 1 to Stabs GOGOGOGOGO

Edit: and to all you people making comparisons to Super Smash Brothers...you hold your tongue. You BETTER be talking about Brawl, which is to Dominion as Melee is to Summoner's Rift. Melee is an incredibly deep game with a lot going on. It takes a lot of mind games along with twitch gaming skill (as long as you're playing fox falco sheik marth peach samus or c.falcon, but that's fighting games for you). Brawl was the dominion they released to smooth over the HUGE gap in skill between an average player and a good player in Melee. Brawl homogenized everything, added random **** like Tripping, basically made the whole game as casual friendly as you please. I think you see where I'm going with this.