Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Dominion: Emerging Meta Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VeritasLuxMea

09-22-2011

After playing a TON of games on the crystal scar today I think some play patterns and dominant strategies are beginning to emerge. The purpose of this thread is to debate and discuss them in order to help reveal the emerging meta for dominion. These are my initial observations.

Roles: The traditional roles found on summoners rift (jungler, AD Carry, Support, Tank etc.) dont exist in Dominion. Support, specifically sustain oriented support, is much less viable in Dominion due to the flat 20% healing reduction of the map-wide aura. In addition the lack of wards and diminished importance of map control negate much of the utility which supports traditionally fill on summoners rift.

After many games, my best guess at the emergent roles in dominion are as follows.

Bottom Lane Pusher / Defender: The dominant strategy seems to be to send 4 people top to secure the ever important windmill and one person bottom to cap the nearest point. The champion who secures the bottom lane should be an excellent pusher, preferably with strong harass and/or sustain. Yorick and Heimer excel in this role. They should take promote and/or garrison as they will likely be pushing/defending alone. Minions, especially waves with promoted units can neutralize and even capture points if they gain sufficient density. Essentially the job of the bottom laner is to put pressure on the opposing teams bottom capture point and force them to commit additional resources to defending it. At the same time this role must be able to defend their own capture point easily and force the opposing team to commit additional resources if they wish to capture it (see heimer turrets).

The Sneak: The sneak's role is to be highly mobile and deceptive, making his way behind enemy lines to neutralize and capture undefended points. This champion should have high mobility and the ability to 1v1 easily. By threatening an undefended point the sneak forces the enemy team to divert resources in order to secure the point. Even if the sneak doesn't capture or even fully neutralize the point he has still disrupted the enemy and put them off balance. A good sneak can turn the tide in his teams favor or keep the enemy on their heels so that they cannot make a comeback. Champions like Shaco, Rammus, Blitzcrank, Evelyn, Nunu, etc. excel at this role

The Fighters: The other three people on the team should be a tight knit fighting force preferably with at least one beefy bruiser and one powerful nuker. The role of these three champions is to be the strong arm of the team and work together to attack/defend important points.In general the windmill is the most important capture point so the fighters will likely head straight there as the game begins and try to secure it for their team. If they succeed in capping the windmill then their role is to defend it so long as it is the focus of the enemies attacks. The fighters may call from help from the Sneak to reinforce them in difficult situations. If the fighters fail to capture the windmill with their initial push then their role is to either take it back by force or to quickly capture another point. The fighters most important role is to organize the team in order to capture quest objectives. A quick 4 or 5 man assault on a quest target will usually result in a capture. Unless that point is the windmill then it is usually beneficially to give it back to the enemy team rather than waste resources "overcapping" (capping more than 3 nodes and trying to hold them). The fighters must be a well oiled group who can operate as their own three man team as well as in pairs. The fighters do the brunt of the labor in winning a game and as a result should have the full cooperation of the Sneak and the Bot Lane Pusher. Champions like Garen, Jax, Brand, Anivia, Poppy, Akali, and Pantheon excel at this role.

Champion Balance Issues: Morello already touched on the issue of champion imbalance however i just wanted to post my list of some of the best picks for dominion based on mechanics.

Champions with Speed boosts: Rammus, Blitz, Udyr, Skarner. The power of getting from point to point quickly cannot be overstated. A rammus/blitz speed cap of windmill can significantly tip the game in your favor very early. These guys make excellent sneaks because they can cap points quickly, escape easily and reinforce the fighters or bot laner very quickly if need be.

Champions with global teleports: Panthon/Twisted Fate. There is a reason you cant take teleport on crystal scar, its stupidly powerful. Both Panth and TF are exceptional picks based on their ability to snowball as well as get to any capture point at a moments notice. I cant tell you how many games I won today due to a pantheon man drop onto an unguarded capture point. These champs can basically fill 2 roles at once, acting as fighters until an oportunity presents itself and then quickly filling the role of the sneak. Their ability to defend turrets under attack can not be overstated either.

Champions with long range ults:
Gangplank, Lux, Nocturne. These guys are strong because they can interrupt enemies trying to capture points from very far off as well as help allies in need without actually being there.

Strong Duelists: Jax, Katarina, Poppy. They are amazing fighters who can snowball out of control and fight off 2 or 3 people at a time they just dominate the whole map if they get too strong of a lead and its very hard to deal with them.

Yorick/Heimer: Yorick and Heimer get their own aside because they seem to be the two most viable bottom lane pushers. Yorick's poke, sustain and push are all super strong and he can easily cap bottom if the enemy team does not divert extra resources to stopping him. Heimer is the defensive version of Yorick. Turrets make taking his capture point with less than 3 people very difficult and his poke and push are both super strong as well.

Champions NOT to play:
Nasus, Veigar. Nasus and Veigar both need alot of farm on their Q's to be effective and with so little time devoted to minions farming on the crystal scar they just dont do as well here as on summoners rift.

Well that's my thoughts on the emerging meta for Dominion. Let me know what you think and obviously if you disagree, speak up. Lets figure this thing out together.

cHuTTaD

09-22-2011

The meta is russian roulette. Whoever gets fewer ******s wins. Also Yi is a best at backdooring points.

VeritasLuxMea

09-22-2011

^ Definitely more to it than that

Omniance

09-22-2011

I disagree on Veigar, if he gets enough assists and/or kills he becomes extremely deadly burst, and his massive AoE stun blocks off almost every pathway in Dominion, making him a strong support for his team.

I saw a number of Veigars do very well today, the only AP I saw do better was Swain.

lumii

09-22-2011

Nice summary, ty.

Breakstar

09-22-2011

In my experience, sending two to bot and three to top (one capturing the point on the way) is the safest way. If they only send one bot, your two can generally overrun the one on the turret, assuming they're strong early champs and one has a garrison (we often send our "Strong Duelists" down there).

Also, we had some success with a mobility-based team, with Teemo, Nidalee, Eve, Sivir, and Alistar, with Alistar staying back home and defending as best as he could (he did amazing at that, I was so proud) while the other four of us all ninjacapped any point left open for any amount of time. We got a lot of Priscilla's, all of us got Mobility Boots, and several got Shurelia's just for overkill. Most of us went Ghost/Promote. It actually worked quite well, because even though we were way too weak to fight them, we never had to because we could simply escape and go cap an undefended point. Our Alistar did a great job of defending our two points at home, particularly with the combination of his ult and a Garrisoned tower. It's probably just because people aren't used to dealing with such mobile teams, but it felt really effective at the time.

Talamare

09-22-2011

Nocturne should clearly be in the Global Teleport section

Mobility is definitely key in this game

Ninja capping with speed tanks seems to be the most common tactic Ive seen

Dianetics

09-22-2011

I played veigar and thought he was pretty decent. My item build could use some work but all in all he was a pretty reasonably strong champ. I actually had a gold metal early game from going around and instagibbing people with my combo. I also heard that Nasus is pretty strong on Dominion. Nasus was recently rebalanced and I think that it may have been to make him stronger in Dominion.

ShadowDrakeX

Recruiter

09-22-2011

Nasus has to be a different role in CS than in SR. Don't bother taking ranks in Siphoning Strike at all. Max Wither and Spirit Fire, take Garrison, and never lose a control point ever.

Talamare

09-22-2011

Quote:
ShadowDrakeX:
Don't bother taking ranks in Siphoning Strike at all.

... Always take at least 1 rank in SS.....and honestly that is ALL YOU NEED