Now that some of the hype about Dominion has gone down

1234511 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MG z3rg3m3ow

09-22-2011

I would like to repost my thoughts on Dominion.

I agree that it is fun, but I am rather disappointed with the balance and the fun it can generate in the long-term. I do think it is engaging and intriguing, I just feel it fell a bit short on execution.

I did like the quick startup and the pvp aspect of it. However:

1) Champion balance, inevitably, is a bit lacking. You need to be either a tanky dps, a high mobility champion, or a strong earlygame/assassin champion (Rammus, Akali, Jax, etc). There isn't much room for endgame champions that can be shut down early, as objectives must be constantly fought for, from the start. Snowballing will probably be very common. There isn't room for low-mobility champions. Mages have a hard time with mana and sustain. Even teamfighting champions don't fare well, since it would be uncommon for big teamfights to occur..I mean...there are multiple objectives to keep track of, and mobile heroes have the upperhand (getting to objectives quickly, being able to chase and escape on such a small map).

2) Garrison feels useless. The tower system falls short in my opinion. Tower damage is rather low, and the range can be worked around (it's pretty short..), especially considering they shut down whenever you're capturing the objective. I don't feel it has real power compared to other summoner spells, specially since mobility and teamfighting at different parts of the map play such an important aspect. The only time I could see it being good is for its offensive capability, trying to rush/kill people at a particular objective...

3) The creeps seem more of an afterthought than actual important objectives to keep track of. Yes, they grant gold, but you can circle around them to capture objectives and most of the game is focused on constant fights and objective control, as that is the primary way to win the game. They don't seem to offer anything important to the game except a bit of afk farming (Although, promote might be interesting to work with. Can't give an opinion on that yet)

4) The neutral buffs seem lackluster in general (With the exception of the movement speed buff). The healing packs are extremely low-values. The shields were a really cool concept, but I again feel as if the values are "meh." They can be broken through pretty easily, especially considering the types of champs that will probably dominate (Garen, Lee Sin, Akali, etc)

I just felt that the execution fell short. The objectives set in place seem lackluster and the focus is misplaced. (I honestly would have probably preferred magma chamber, all things considered.)

Is it just me? Thoughts? Comments?

MG z3rg3m3ow

09-22-2011

bump.

Steel Rain

09-22-2011

Quote:
There isn't much room for endgame champions that can be shut down early, as objectives must be constantly fought for, from the start.
Quote:
Yes, they grant gold, but you can circle around them to capture objectives and most of the game is focused on constant fights and objective control, as that is the primary way to win the game.
Working as intended...

If you want to play Summoner's Rift, it'll always be there for you.

theREALGetnerdeD

09-22-2011

i mean...it's a different gametype completely. i don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, as far as balance goes, for certain champs to be more dominant in different gametypes.

Only Annie HD

09-22-2011

TL;DR?

It's a great change, i love it.

mikeylikesit17

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2011

1) Champion balance, inevitably, is a bit lacking. You need to be either a tanky dps, a high mobility champion, or a strong earlygame/assassin champion (Rammus, Akali, Jax, etc). There isn't much room for endgame champions that can be shut down early, as objectives must be constantly fought for, from the start. Snowballing will probably be very common. There isn't room for low-mobility champions. Mages have a hard time with mana and sustain. Even teamfighting champions don't fare well, since it would be uncommon for big teamfights to occur..I mean...there are multiple objectives to keep track of, and mobile heroes have the upperhand (getting to objectives quickly, being able to chase and escape on such a small map).

is all wrong. ive won and had top points as karthusx2 twitchx2 heimer, yorik, you dont have to be bursty u just have to play better. this isnt a game where someone is out farmed u. you all are on equal footing.

AndyLynn

09-22-2011

it does offer some of the lesser picked champions a chance to be strong. heimer, rammus, ez, shaco, eve etc all do really well, and its nice to see the weaklings of SR do well

Quote:
is all wrong. ive won and had top points as karthusx2 twitchx2 heimer, yorik, you dont have to be bursty u just have to play better. this isnt a game where someone is out farmed u. you all are on equal footing.

+
totally wrong, certain champs have huge advantages over others. there is big imbalance

The Stormchaser

09-22-2011

Finally an intelligent post on the matter.

1) Yeah there's a bit of imabalance atm, it's going to be tricky on deciding this, but hey i'm giving this a few weeks

2) This is true. Idk why people take it.

3)
If you can get a creep wave alive into their nodes, it takes it really fast. Moreso with promote...

4) Buffs are more 1v1, and this was stated earlier. It is a bit situational on usage.

People will like different things, and dominion offers a different thing. The reason some people are really dissapointed is because they are really attached to the whole 5v5 SR playstyle, and are dismissing this pretty quick. It would be the flipside if MC was released mind you.

LoL community is unpleasible.

Adonteon

09-22-2011

1. Champion Balance. Just can't give up SR life can you. The point is every champion is viable and useful. Just have to use some brains. If a champion can out dps you. Don't fight it. Distract or run away and steal the base he or the other team just left unguarded. Be a pain in the enemy ass if you can't beat them one v one.

2. You are correct. Garrison is useless.

3. They help you take turrets faster at time. Promote is amazing for this. And yes they give gold. I nice little boost of 150 for the 4 set.

4. They didn't watch to over power health kits. Whenever i get the Center buff I can beat any one v one so far. It's very nice. Speed are perfect as is.

MG z3rg3m3ow

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit17 View Post
is all wrong. Ive won and had top points as karthusx2 twitchx2 heimer, yorik, you dont have to be bursty u just have to play better. This isnt a game where someone is out farmed u. You all are on equal footing.
....lol.

1234511 ... 13