Winning team is invincible to point loss

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 22
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MehtaMezhan

Senior Member

09-22-2011

Update: People seem to be confused, so re-posting my clarification here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehtaMezhan View Post
All I'm saying is, both teams should lose the -2 points per death. Even if they have more towers controlled.

The fact that they don't feels arbitrary, and frustrating.
----

Update 2: Maya said it better than I could:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Fey View Post
Making hero kills not award points is taking the design to the extreme, no extremes are good. The team with 3 nodes should have a significant advantage, but not immunity to point loss with hero deaths, that makes for awkward, non-intuitive, frustrating gameplay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Fey View Post
One thing that Riot could do:

The hp detraction of the enemy nexus depends on how many nodes you currently control, i.e:

If your team controls 1 node you detract .5 hp of the enemy nexus;
If your team controls 2 nodes you detract 1 hp of the enemy nexus;
If your team controls 3 nodes you detract 2 hp of the enemy nexus;
If your team controls 4 nodes you detract 4 hp of the enemy nexus;
If your team controls 5 nodes you detract 8 hp of the enemy nexus;

There.
----

This is my only complaint with Dominion.
And a constant irritant for an otherwise enjoyable game mode.

We nearly lost a 300-40 match, due to (in my opinion) terrible mechanics.
They three-cap, and it takes us four minutes to take it back. Which is fine, but...

The issue is that we easily would have won if they had been losing 2 points per death.
But they weren't. They had more towers, and were thus invincible.
Add in the fact that defending with turrets is advantageous, and you have a recipe for frustration.

Now, I imagine the common responses will be "ninja a turret" and similar.
Which is valid, I'm just saying it's frustrating, and feels arbitrary.
Because of this, I don't think I'll be playing Dominion much, which is a shame - I was looking forward to it.

I feel like Riot wanted "epic comebacks" (cough) to happen way too often, and as a result, added a mechanic that punishes players for doing well.

Anyway, just my 2 cents
It's still fun and well-designed, I hope they do reconsider this part though.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Banana Rum

Junior Member

09-22-2011

Agreed.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wasselin

Senior Member

09-22-2011

I disagree that 3 cap is what promotes strategy, instead of a simple zerg/backdoor playstyle. If the 3 cap didn't exist who would win would basically be random and totally up to who had the fastest characters on the team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MehtaMezhan

Senior Member

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasselin View Post
If the 3 cap didn't exist who would win would basically be random
I'm sorry, I really don't understand what you mean.
All I'm saying is, both teams should lose the -2 points per death. Even if they have more towers controlled.

The fact that they don't feels arbitrary, and frustrating.
I respect that you may feel differently though.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harate

Senior Member

09-22-2011

Yeah I agree I noticed this bad mechanic right away. Deaths and turret caps should drain points from the nexus regardless if one team has the upper hand 3:2


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mallechos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-22-2011

I think I read somewhere that the -2 points per death only applies if the nexus is over a certain threshold of health, to prevent a team from winning entirely through kills. I don't believe it has anything to do with how many capture points are controlled.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unfuse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-22-2011

possibly a bug? they should lose points regardless. i agree.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MehtaMezhan

Senior Member

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallechos View Post
I think I read somewhere that the -2 points per death only applies if the nexus is over a certain threshold of health, to prevent a team from winning entirely through kills
I agree with you to a point, but the nexus starts with 500 points.
That's... 250 kills. If someone wins entirely through kills I think we have bigger problems :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfuse View Post
possibly a bug?
I certainly hope so...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ProphaneProphet

Senior Member

09-23-2011

I don't think this is such a big problem. I got in 4 games yesterday evening, and all of them were a) close and b) comeback victories. My very first game we were down 5-108 and we ended up winning.

There are always going to be teams that just can't work together or are just plain bad players, but two competent teams seem to be able to pull out of seemingly one sided situations with regularity.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheAmpca

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-23-2011

i personally like this mechanic because it gives the feel that you haven't won till the nexus explodes and it lets you make comebacks and punishes those who say gg too early


1234511 ... 22