Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why Dominion isn't very fun right now

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Abarlum

09-22-2011

For the moment let's ignore any and all talk about balance, or anything like that.

What makes MOBA games fun? I don't actually know since LoL is the only one I've enjoyed in any capacity. So if you figure it out you can tell me.

But I seem to have fun with the game tension. For example, last night I was playing a Normal 5v5 game, and we were pretty far behind, down to 1 nexus turret and 1 inhibitor had just reactivated, and we had killed maybe one of their turrets. Then, we caught them going Baron, killed them all and pushed for the win.

Another thing that makes LoL enjoyable for me is the challenge of actually fighting people to some extent. I've always enjoyed the PvP parts of games more (except Diablo but that never was really intended to be a PvP game). I mean, I play Kassadin so this is kind of an interesting thing for me to say, but the directional skills, like Skarner's Fracture, Lux/Morgana's snares, Ashe/Ezreal's ults, etc. Those types of skills are so great, you actually have to dodge stuff! Like what, you mean I actually have a say in whether that thing hits me or not? No way! So there is the prediction sort of game you have to play with people and its just interesting if you let yourself get into it. Of course certain heroes beat certain other heroes, but that's fine. That's why the end of the game is teamfights.

While PvP combat is obviously the focus of these types of games, the last general bit of fun that I take from LoL is the play with minions and monsters. It's hard for me to describe but all of you play this game too so I'll assume you know what I'm talking about. There are various ways to deal with NPCs that can completely affect the outcome of the game.

So why is Dominion not fun? Simply because none of these things exist in the gametype as it exists right now.

Minions might as well not even exist! I know they do, because I've seen them, but there are so few of them and they just kill each other then die to the turret anyway. And there are no neutral mobs, these have been replaced by team-specific totems in the middle of the map. What the hell? These things have been replaced in Dominion by passive experience gain and an increased income. Yes, you can still augment these gains by killing minions but I don't see when this would ever be preferred to helping your team run around the circle and capture points.

"Well fine, even if there literally were no NPCs, there is still PvP combat." I suppose you're technically correct, there are two teams of five player controlled characters that can kill each other. But it isn't even remotely the same thing as Normal mode. Death penalties are essentially nonexistent, the guy that you just killed will be attacking you again in no time. To a certain extent this is good, because if dying was a huge deal teams would never be able to win if anybody died ever because you wouldn't be able to capture or hold any towers. And, I do agree with the "personal score" increase when you sacrifice yourself to interrupt a turret capture, because it definitely is worth it for your team to eat -2 nexus health to save a turret for an extra 5 seconds or so. But the fact that nobody really is dead for any significant amount of time just makes PvP combat essentially meaningless. Yeah, if you get a triple or something you will control the map and probably win the game because of it but it just doesn't feel as important when, as Kassadin, I can die, respawn in 15 seconds, run down the steps, and nuke the hell out of the other team all over again. It's not like in Normal where, if your entire team dies, you lose a bunch of turrets forever. You can take the towers back and actually come back in the game in an extremely unremarkable normal fashion just because most fights are even.
Something that could solve this is if the map were bigger. Maybe the same distance between the spawn and the initial tower, but the distance between the other towers should be farther so you actually take some time getting places.

^ this was a pretty bad paragraph I was distracted while writing it. Sorry.

Which brings me to my next point, which is that there is no real tension. It's not like in my example from last night where I was pretty sure we lost but we gritted our teeth and came back. At every point in the game of Dominion, right up until 12 minutes or so, I never feel like the game is even close to be decided. "But isn't that more tense, you never know what's going to happen?" I suppose that is a good point, but the tension of not knowing who will win doesn't make up for not ever feeling like "oh **** guys we really have to try hard to come back here". You can basically play like normal and get a random capture that wins you the game.

Anyway, that's my opinion about Dominion. tl;dr: minions should matter, you should be dead for longer, and anybody can win any game up until the very end even if they were getting destroyed for the first 5 minutes, which isn't really interesting because of the aforementioned other problems.

C9 Dish

09-22-2011

I don't have a lot of time to read the forums, so I would appreciate it if you narrowed your points down and simplify your paragraphs.

Something like this:

What needs to change:
A) Minions should matter
B) The point isn't to kill minions, it is to take the towers
C) Unbalanced

What is good:
1) Fast paced feel
2) Jump into the action.

And then proceed with ONE or TWO paragraphs.

El Killer Duck

09-23-2011

I'm sorry you feel that way Abarlum. I am a returning player from circa 2009 and imvho I think you are wrong. Dominion is more about PVP than anything else. That is what makes it appealing. As for tension, just last night, the team my brother and i were on began dominating the map early. 15 mins in they were at 25% nexus health, we were sitting comfortably at 97%, and thought that it would be a pushover. We spread out too thin to keep control and subsequently fed the other team in 1v2 and 2v3 matchups. @ 20 mins, they had brought us down to about 15% health and looked like they had clinched the win. Fortunately, we rallied, became more strategic in our assaults and took them out with 10% health left. my bro and i celebrated. the opposing team congratulated us on a game well played.

The point is, I always thought that normal games took too long. And I was never really good at map awareness or control, (yes, i am a fail TF) To me, Dominion takes out a hefty portion of that out and allows for more action. Sure there are gonna be balance issues... there always are. But that is the cost of having two game types.

In the end, for me, Dominion is a breath of fresh air, both for action in game, and less time consumed per game.

I know TL;DR, but it's my two cents.

HayzeMalice

09-23-2011

Only thing I didn't like about dominion is using PROMOTE on a minion and then once it reaches the enemy tower and U take it, He just runs off and immediately dies....

PROMOTE needs a faster cooldown so it can be strategically used.

Other than that Dominion rocked

Warco Cyan

09-23-2011

To the OP:
You wrote too much to express an opinion that most people simply don't agree with. Grats.

Hypersauce

09-23-2011

Dominion is fun even when you lose. Except for that one team that we 5 capped and held inside their spawn area until the game ended, they probably didn't have much fun.

Kwisatz Haderach

09-23-2011

You nubs he had a tl;dr

Quote:
tl;dr: minions should matter, you should be dead for longer, and anybody can win any game up until the very end even if they were getting destroyed for the first 5 minutes, which isn't really interesting because of the aforementioned other problems.

you're extremely lazy if you can't even read that

JakoSpades

09-23-2011

OP, junior member with a tl;dr post.
Those of us that have been playing LoL, HoN, and DotA for years appreciate something new. End of story. Good day

The Confused

09-23-2011

I feel like the minions do actually matter, but not for the same reason that they mattered in the standard 5v5 map. Most people ignore the minions because they would rather kill champions. However, the minions can capture a tower incredibly fast. So, you don't kill the minions for gold, but rather for their ability to capture towers quickly. Plus, when they are capturing a tower, you can focus on holding off the other enemy champs who attempt to stop you while the minions do the work.

Sazdek

09-23-2011

It's not fun Right Now because it's not out Right Now. Turn it on Riot!