Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Way to undermine your own authority, Riot.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChaosAxess

Recruiter

06-02-2010

Seriously, though, can we get a lock on this topic?

ChaosAxess

Recruiter

06-02-2010

Quote:
Bleak Soul:
So it's ok to be a jerk as long as you pay for it?

my point ----------->

your head

Arthas Menethil

Recruiter

06-02-2010

While the offender deserved to be banned, it was probably out of line to first challenge him to a re-match, then stomp him, and finally ban him after that.

freakachu

06-02-2010

Quote:
Geekweezul:
I'm glad Riot has a staff that's willing to look into things. Even if it's one of their own abusing the ban system.

Whoever made the 40 year ban could have been having a bad day and overreacted...Pendragon most likely discussed it with them, looked over the logs, realized the banned dude did break the rules, but not enough for such an extreme ban. So he reversed it.

I'm very glad we have people like Pendragon watching over things.

Only the people involved know the whole story. YOU DO NOT. So don't come out here making threads like this when you have no idea what you're actually talking about.

right back at you. thing is, I'm angry about the way in which his ban was lessened. it undermines the authority of Riot to do it in such a public manner and when the person in question is such an obvious tool. it encourages that kind of attitude, which is exactly the opposite of what Riot's trying to do, if I understand them correctly.

btw chaos, I don't see what's so hard to understand about being told you'll be banned if you continue, continuing, then being banned. it's called keeping your promises. I'm not at all concerned about the whole rematch thing, it doesn't matter to any of this. it's about the rules and what it means to break them.

Morinav

06-02-2010

In b4 lock.

I think what I posted in the thread is relevant here as well.

Quote:
Morinav:
Excessive, belligerent **** talking is against the rules. You did it to one of the devs. That's like running a red light in front of a cop and being surprised when you get a ticket.

Edit: That being said, your punishment should align with whatever Riot's standard disciplinary procedures are. If harassing another player is an instant perma-ban on the first offense, then that's interesting, but them's the breaks. If you would normally receive a warning, or less stringent ban, but received a permanent ban because the person you were disrespecting was a Riot employee, then I would prefer you receive the standard disciplinary action. I tend to prefer blind justice rather than preferential treatment for any party.

That's simply my opinion, it's Riot's game and they get to do what they want.
Last edited by Morinav; Today at

What can TRULY be undermining is waffling on your stances. Decide on a disciplinary policy for your devs to follow. If Shurelia shouldn't be perma-banning people for derogatory language, don't let her ban people. That's a community moderation decision, not a game design decision. I would suggest you have Riot staff forward disciplinary requests to someone who's in charge of such actions, someone who knows a clear policy on which levels of punishment are acceptable and which are not. Otherwise, Riot staff should not be allowed to discipline the community at their whim. It's dangerous to have that power spread around the company.

noobfluff

06-02-2010

3 things:

1) The rules are there to be read and understood by all in the Terms of Service.
2) The consequences for breaking the rules are clearly spelled out in the Terms of Service.
3) You have the opportunity to read and understand the Terms of Service, and in fact must agree to them anew ever patch.

As long as the enforcement of the rules is uniform and without prejudice, there should be no problems. Where bans are concerned, the punishment should fit the crime, and should be consistent, not varied in severity based upon what parties are involved.

Personally, I show respect to everyone. Developers and peons alike.

durpado

06-02-2010

Quote:
freakachu:
right back at you. thing is, I'm angry about the way in which his ban was lessened. it undermines the authority of Riot to do it in such a public manner and when the person in question is such an obvious tool. it encourages that kind of attitude, which is exactly the opposite of what Riot's trying to do, if I understand them correctly.

So you're saying you'd rather have Riot be more transparent and not own up to their own mistakes unlike they always have and change why they are such a great company compared to others?

Wow, cry more and Riot please lock this worthless thread.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-02-2010

Im pretty sure a 40 year ban was a joke more than anything else. Kind of a "look what I can do, you better smarten up". I highly doubt there was any intent for a perma-ban in the first place. Id hardly say it was undermining their own authority.

noobfluff

06-02-2010

Quote:
durpado:
So you're saying you'd rather have Riot be more transparent and not own up to their own mistakes like they always have and why they are such a great company compared to others?

Wow, cry and Riot please lock this worthless thread.

I actually think that you're describing the opposite of transparent.

Geekweezul

06-02-2010

Quote:
freakachu:

It undermines their authority because they corrected a mistake one of their devs made in public? I think that shows they are willing to admit mistakes and fix them.

Pendragon is really good at closing threads and I'm sure if more threads like this come up they are going to go down just as fast.

You're making too big a deal out of this.