Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Limited Beta and Testing "Server Load and Stress" Is Smoke and Mirrors

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Church51

09-22-2011

Quote:
Zaruna:
Already has been, your able to create a custom game using crystal scar as a map, tho once you start it the client crashes.

Concidering I don't see any way of actually starting one, and it's the same ones going on for 10+ minutes with almost full players, I somehow doubt that.

DaJonney

09-22-2011

Quote:
Brackhar:
Although I too am a fan of a good conspiracy theory, it really is just because we want to be cautious about the day 1 load of Dominion, both on the gameplay server and platform side. By doing this limited beta, evaluating the data, and then doing rapid tweaks, we can make sure that the entire system doesn't collapse once we flip the switch full time. 'Cause that'd be a bad experience for everyone.

Whats this? An actual thoughtful, insightful, worth reading comment from a RED!!!!

Umm...... Thank You

Thank you a lot Brackhar

I mean like can I send you something, like flowers or a cake?

You just made my day

Sozzen

09-22-2011

Call it a conspiracy all you want but in talking with a friend of mine whos been playing LoL longer that I have (I joined when Vlad was new),

Twisted Treeline followed these same parameters of offpeak hours. They are just following procedure to ensure we all don't rage about Dominion the first week of how we cant play or the load times are rediculous. Personally I would rather Riot do what they are doing now than have servers shutdown for over 24hrs trying to fix something that could be prevented

linkrulesx10

09-22-2011

Nerf Irelia imo, should fix everything.

GiggleGasm

09-22-2011

or it could be just that, a beta =/ you idiot

Ever heard of something called bug testing and timed beta? Yes beta often does help with marketing but really only for existing players. It wont bring riot more players by beta testing, and i doubt it will have any influx on BP sales.

The true real reason it is likely happening: How does the server handle this new game type, if there are any server sided bugs, they could potentially bring the entire server down... thats why dominion is being hosted on a seperate game server than normal games. Exploits are another issue they wanna patch up, and balancing the classes. This on/off thing allows devs to work on the dominion server much the same way the main servers get maintained once a week, which they need to do ALOT right now, and to moniter it while its up... good luck monitoring it through peak times.

EmpReb

09-22-2011

Quote:
linkrulesx10:
Nerf Irelia imo, should fix everything.

If trolling good shot bud. But come on if anything She could be buffed(she might be slightly over nerfed but some how is still viable).

inorialas

09-22-2011

I'm pretty sure doing this limited beta only increases pressure on Riot. It's not like they can hide behind any excuses now if they flip the switch and everything goes boom. It is both the right thing to beta test the servers and a dangerous move, since they have delayed promised content to ensure a smooth release.

Parjanya

09-22-2011

ok

PhantomFox

09-22-2011

Funderstorm is right, it has nothing to do with server load. Its all about the money/marketing.

Kysneed

09-22-2011

Quote:
TheFunderstorm:

The Real Reason

Marketing. November is a big month in game releases, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this limited beta magically extended until the end of October. Releasing now is bad because the shine of a new game mode will have worn off by the time all of the new big releases come out.

derp???

this game is free, dominion is going to be free.....all other games released in november are not free, i dont see your point?