Did anyone play Garen in Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RealMithron

09-21-2011

How did you do with him? What did you build? Who were your enemies? Did you feel slower/worse than you do on SR/TT? I swear he felt like he had much lower stats in Dominion, especially with movement speed.

My enemies: Kog'Maw, Udyr, Urgot, Singed, Irelia, all the standard Garen counters...

I think I'm just going to build Phantom Dancer, Infinity Edge and Warmog's or something. His E is terrible in Dominion and building too tanky doesn't do any good.

VinTheRockDiesel

09-21-2011

I played against a Garen today. It wasn't bad at all. With no laning phase, he's just like any other decent tanky DPS. Granted, my sample size was tiny, but I was Maokai, so it's not like I was a counter or anything. But I'm not saying he was weak, just very much in-line with everyone else. Actually, Xin Zhao on each team came out looking like a boss.

RealMithron

09-21-2011

I played 4 games with him and tried building him like I usually do on Summoner's Rift (Boots, early Brutalizer, Ghostblade, Warmog's, Negatron, Chainmail, Infinity Edge, ect.) and it was awful. So then I tried full tank, awful. Full damage, awful. Early damage, late tank, awful.

I couldn't even out damage an EZREAL, who killed me in just a few hits when we were both full HP. -_-

No I'm not some bad Garen, I do extremely well as him on SR and TT.

SevereAids

09-21-2011

I played a game with him and did really well

I started with rank 1 boots and 2 long swords and 1 potion, putting 1 point on Judgment and 2 in Decisive strike

My first trip back was The brutalizer and boots of mobility, next sunfire cape and atma's impaler. Won the game quite nicely Id like to look into some more builds as Garen on Dominion. If anyone has anything feel free to share.

RealMithron

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevereAids View Post
I played a game with him and did really well

I started with rank 1 boots and 2 long swords and 1 potion, putting 1 point on Judgment and 2 in Decisive strike

My first trip back was The brutalizer and boots of mobility, next sunfire cape and atma's impaler. Won the game quite nicely Id like to look into some more builds as Garen on Dominion. If anyone has anything feel free to share.
I guess I'll try that. He feels so slow in Dominion that I was considering Mobility shoes too, even though I NEVER would think of using them anywhere else. Sunfire generally doesn't offer much, Randuin's is much better in every way. Atma's I wanted to try but since you don't reach high levels fast in Dominion, I generally try to get Warmog's before Atma's to further its damage but the armor and crit it gives might be worth it.

I'd win games by capturing points but I'd lose almost any fight.

Superbone1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

I imagine Udyr is also weak in Dominion for the same reasons - too easy to kite. With no strategic bushes to pop out of next to people, it's hard to get in and deal damage.

SevereAids

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMithron View Post
I guess I'll try that. He feels so slow in Dominion that I was considering Mobility shoes too, even though I NEVER would think of using them anywhere else. Sunfire generally doesn't offer much, Randuin's is much better in every way. Atma's I wanted to try but since you don't reach high levels fast in Dominion, I generally try to get Warmog's before Atma's to further its damage but the armor and crit it gives might be worth it.

I'd win games by capturing points but I'd lose almost any fight.
I feel you. The team i played with also felt really nice with Garen. We had Rammus, Shen, Pantheon and Teemo. So everyone else was capping points, i tried to kill and i helped take back points etc. As for speed, i was thinking swiftness boots but realized i can get some nice speed with mobility boots plus decisive strike.

I guess i was trying to go for a build that made me both deadly and quick at the same time, able to hold my own in a fight yet go and cap points quickly. I never normally build Randuins on Garen but i know it's a great item so ill give it a go. thanks for the feedback

RealMithron

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbone1 View Post
I imagine Udyr is also weak in Dominion for the same reasons - too easy to kite. With no strategic bushes to pop out of next to people, it's hard to get in and deal damage.
Udyr is freaking amazing in Dominion. Extremely high mobility, great damage, shields, stuns, defense, he's the prime example of "perfect Dominion fighter."

Lein

09-21-2011

I played Garen and came out number 1 on my team but... early game, I tried doing SR / TT strategies - i.e. run in and slaughter everything. It worked ok, but his damage output is lower when everyone's at a boosted level, not to mention that enemies actually fight back instead of running xD

He's really good at defending and capping with his Q movespeed and R finisher. I feel he's kinda lacking in damage, so he's not a really great aggressive fighter. Great defender though.

Convergence

09-21-2011

I played him in Dominion and play him very often in SR as well. I can say that this isn't necessarily his style of gameplay without the ability to bully squishies in lanes, but he wasn't necessarily bad. Using the middle area's brush to cut off attacks before they start seemed to be where I really excelled - once again lurking in brush and spin2winning his way to victory. As offense, trying to cap towers and such, I felt too easy to predict and faced with fighting other tanky dps melee has never been Garen's strong point.