DotA - LoL Hero Rundown.. Lets see

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGiantYordle

06-01-2010

Okay, here recently I was told not to make a comparison between DotA heroes and LoL heroes on the premise that they have -nothing- in common. SOOOOOOOO lets take a broad view look at the heroes.

Jax (LoL) - Phantom Assassin (DotA) : Both are high evasion (dodge) heroes that hit incredibly hard and fast. Granted one is slightly hard to see, but then again Jax stuns. Both can slow, all Jax needs is a mallet, which is a good idea for him anyway as a chaser. One blinks, one jumps.. eh.

Teemo (LoL) - Venomancer (DotA) : Okay, Teemo doesn't have Poison wards, he uses shrooms, which lets be honest is a tad bit more trippy, both poison passively, and though Teemo can't AOE poi... wait his Shrooms do the AOE poisoning too, and last longer than Veno's wards. Teemo, on the upside, can blind, as opposed to slow slightly, but that's okay because Teemo runs fast.

Ashe (LoL) - Drow Archer (DotA) : ... Nuff said.

Karthus (LoL) - Zeus (DotA) : No chain lightning on Karthus, but he is a tad more versitile as a chaser being as he can slow, lower resists, a massively damaging AoE (if built right), and little nukes under your feet to blow you to bits. His ult, however? Zeus.

While I could sit here and pick apart each hero and point out the varied ways that DotA heroes have been chopped and cut and then pasted onto LoL heroes, I will just give a rundown of EXACT replicas of DotA abilities found here in our beloved LoL.

All Heroes listed below will be DotA heroes, and where we can find their exact abilities.

Kunkka - Cho'Gath carries around his Torrent, with an added slow effect... but the buildup animation is the exact same. Tidebringer can be found in an even better form, that happens with every hit, on Malachite.

Bradwarden - Malachite and Alistar are both walking around with Hoofstomp, except they happen to toss you in the air. Mundo uses the concept of using hitpoints to hit you harder, sort of like double edge just to a much more precise degree being as mundo is BUILT on that concept.

Purist Thunderwrath - It's Taric, except for a slow Taric has a damaging stun and an AOE blasting shield. His invulnerability shield can be found on Kayle... wait if we combined Kayle with Taric we would almost have Purist, save for the fact that Purist would spank them both. Concept? Taric.

Jin'zakk - Firefly, its Corki's flametrail, though granted Corki has an incredibly watered down version of it.

The point of this is that I could do this all day long, and find correlations between DotA and LoL, primarily because the same guys who created DotA created LoL. The same ideas that they had before are showing up, just spliced into new heroes, watered down or beefed up, and in this we find comparisons that are easily made between the heroes to DotA heroes.

Granted, this also shows that RIOT really needs someone on their creative staff that can do more than dump out ideas that have already been dumped, but it also makes examinations of new heroes a bit easier when you can say: Okay he has the same abilities as, Bane, Enigma, and Nevermore (sorta) and call him Malhazar because most of us played DotA far longer than we've played LoL. Okay, some of us.

Tyrantherus

06-01-2010

Well its slightly to be expected considering that they were staff members of dota allstars. Ontop of that, the majority of the ones you listed were champions that were released when the game was made with the exception of Malhazar that you mentioned near the end.

TheGiantYordle

06-01-2010

Oh, I know, that was exactly the point I was making. The guy told me to not make comparisons with DotA heroes because they had nothing in common.

GODZEEERAAAAAAAA

06-01-2010

Not to be an ass, but if you think you can come up with 40 original champions... do it. If you make 5 balanced and unique champions I will be impressed. It's to be expected that a game of the same genre by the same creators will have some overlap, and that makes the game fun.

Edit - just saw your revision, thought you were complaining about it, sorry

TheGiantYordle

06-01-2010

lol no, I wasn't complaining, and hence why I had to add that last bit. It IS to be expected for an overlap to happen, but being told that the overlap doesn't exist is idiotic, and hence why I made this post.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2010

All I see are "they are the exact replicas...except..but..unless.."

Street Fighter's Ryu is the same as Mordekaizer, because they deal damage. Incidentally, he fires blue ball thingy, so he is also the exact same as Ryze. Oh, and Mord has armor, and so does Master Chief.

Hence, Ryze = Mord, and Mord can pwn space horde of floods, who are the same as the Tyranids.

Having 1 common thread between 2 champions or champs/heroes does not make them the exact replica. In fact, they are still very different.

You want to know how to make LoL very different from DotA that no one can ever complain about it again? Ramp up the max HP and all damage by 500%. Then suddenly, Karthus' Requiem will hit 5 times harder than Zeus, and they're nothing in common. Problem solved.

Illumiele

06-02-2010

From what I read it seems you don't know much about DotA.
Tidebringer on Malachite(yes, I am pointing out the fact that you are ignorant of the champions name).Malachite has great cleave from Sven.

His invulnerability shield... Purist doesn't have one. It seems you are confused because it looks like a paladin's divine shield.

Corki doesn't have flametrail. That's Valkyrie

Poison trail is similar to firefly.

You should continue to make comparisons, just don't tell anymore lies.

Smittsen

06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellreaper View Post
Okay, here recently I was told not to make a comparison between DotA heroes and LoL heroes on the premise that they have -nothing- in common. SOOOOOOOO lets take a broad view look at the heroes.

Jax (LoL) - Phantom Assassin (DotA) : Both are high evasion (dodge) heroes that hit incredibly hard and fast. Granted one is slightly hard to see, but then again Jax stuns. Both can slow, all Jax needs is a mallet, which is a good idea for him anyway as a chaser. One blinks, one jumps.. eh.

Teemo (LoL) - Venomancer (DotA) : Okay, Teemo doesn't have Poison wards, he uses shrooms, which lets be honest is a tad bit more trippy, both poison passively, and though Teemo can't AOE poi... wait his Shrooms do the AOE poisoning too, and last longer than Veno's wards. Teemo, on the upside, can blind, as opposed to slow slightly, but that's okay because Teemo runs fast.
is stop reading after this..! seriously? "Granted one is slightly hard to see, but then again Jax stuns." - sounds exactly the same (rofl)

"Both can slow" no?

to sum all of this up... there is the possibilty that some heroes fit in the same role because thats what make this kind of games interesting...many different roles...

ALL CHARS ARE STOLEN FROM DOTA, WOW and EVERY EXISTING GAME EVER!!!!!!!!111eleven

try your best and think about a char that you would like to see and i bet 100 $ that there will be someone that finds a char in a random game that got similiar skills.

dreanor

06-02-2010

It's called post modernism, if you came for 100% original ideas you're around 25 years too late.

Ebonclaw

06-02-2010

So what you're saying:

Shouldn't have a high Dodge champ.

Shouldn't have a poison based champ.

Shouldn't have a champ that grows.

It's all been done before, my head is exploding!!!11

Why don't you try making a game that is entirely unique....?