No more 1350 IP Champs?

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 34
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zindrix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2010

I've been playing for a few months I suppose, but since I have been playing, I have only witnessed the release of 3150 and 6300 IP champs and I'm starting to see a trend.

My question is this: Is Riot actually trying to justify the release of expensive champs by saying they fall into a certain category?

The ninjas had the obvious appeal, then there was Garen with the human WoW appeal, and Ezreal had who knows what, but those were basically the only champions I have witnessed released since I have been playing. But now, with the reduced IP from TT, and after seeing a screen shot from long ago where people used to earn much more IP (the screen shot had a 500 IP win +first win of day bonus), does this just mean Riot is becoming more and more money hungry?

They probably knew, with the delay of this patch that most people were wanting to play a new champion after being bored of their current ones and this guy being announced about 3 weeks ago. So did they make the IP cost high on purpose?

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm really just going over it in my head about what things are actually worth, if you spend $30 what do you get with that in LoL? A few champions and skins? As opposed to spending $30 on a similar game that includes everything, along with content updates?

JonnyThinkChamp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2010

1350 makes people buy the new champ with IP. Riot needs you to buy it with RP. 6300 is a boring grind. People buy it with RP. That and once you have a full rune book, you save X IP forever, 6300 is the best way to get rid of it.

Zindrix

06-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyThinkChamp View Post
1350 makes people buy the new champ with IP. Riot needs you to buy it with RP. 6300 is a boring grind. People buy it with RP. That and once you have a full rune book, you save X IP forever, 6300 is the best way to get rid of it.
That's a very good point. Very honest of you as well.

Saffire

06-01-2010

Officially, 6300 champions are often justified by "high production values/fun gameplay". I'm guessing it's the first one for Malzahar, his spells look really sweet.

tyrantlord

Recruiter

06-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zindrix View Post
I've been playing for a few months I suppose, but since I have been playing, I have only witnessed the release of 3150 and 6300 IP champs and I'm starting to see a trend.

My question is this: Is Riot actually trying to justify the release of expensive champs by saying they fall into a certain category?

The ninjas had the obvious appeal, then there was Garen with the human WoW appeal, and Ezreal had who knows what, but those were basically the only champions I have witnessed released since I have been playing. But now, with the reduced IP from TT, and after seeing a screen shot from long ago where people used to earn much more IP (the screen shot had a 500 IP win +first win of day bonus), does this just mean Riot is becoming more and more money hungry?

They probably knew, with the delay of this patch that most people were wanting to play a new champion after being bored of their current ones and this guy being announced about 3 weeks ago. So did they make the IP cost high on purpose?

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm really just going over it in my head about what things are actually worth, if you spend $30 what do you get with that in LoL? A few champions and skins? As opposed to spending $30 on a similar game that includes everything, along with content updates?
Compare it to a monthly game. You don't have to pay anything if you don't want to. Their prices help bring in profits without having someone who pays get a huge advantage.

Zindrix

06-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdktyrant View Post
Compare it to a monthly game. You don't have to pay anything if you don't want to. Their prices help bring in profits without having someone who pays get a huge advantage.
Do you mean subscription-based MMO? If so, you're comparing apples to oranges, subscription based MMOs have content releases with new dungeons, zones, items, mobs, bosses, skills, PvP, and so on. It's much more labor intensive to release content for an entire world.

Soleras

06-01-2010

^Let's not undertone the amount of work required to support and update this game. It's not trivial. It costs money.

Deathlordx

06-01-2010

Poppy.

Zindrix

06-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleras View Post
^Let's not undertone the amount of work required to support and update this game. It's not trivial. It costs money.
I'm not, I know it costs money to maintain the servers and such, but let's also not compare content, MMOs require much more financing.

Queue Dodge Hero

06-01-2010

Well, champions and skins make Riot money, and they need money. So yeah I don't have a problem with no more 450 or 1350 champions.

Quote:
and after seeing a screen shot from long ago where people used to earn much more IP (the screen shot had a 500 IP win +first win of day bonus), does this just mean Riot is becoming more and more money hungry?
That 500IP for the first win was during a double IP weekend + the user had bought a boost of their own.

1234511 ... 34