Support Champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rakava

06-01-2010

Hey all

I have been playing LoL for just a couple of weeks and have found that my play style is most suited to playing a support role. I honestly don't care what the scoreboard looks like in terms of kills. As long as I feel like I've played smart and didn't feed anyone (preferably 0 deaths) and we got a tally in the win column at the end, I'm a happy camper.

That being said, I am curious as to which support champions the community puts a higher value on.

I've only played a few. Taric and Soraka feel more like true support to me. Zilean is fun to play, but aside from his E, he seems to be more of a pusher. There were a lot of champions labeled as support but seem more like tank/fighters.

I will undoubtedly play a champ who I enjoy playing first and foremost. But any insight I could get in terms of the style of play expected from your support classes will help me focus earlier on being a better player at the higher summoner levels.

Thanks in advance!

Sr Kundo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2010

Soraka is an extremely good Support hero, Zilean is played more as an AP bomb thrower currently, Janna can be played as an extremely good support, constantly throwing shields and tornadoes to keep your team from dying.

TKana

06-01-2010

Support characters should be characters that dont really kill others, but help your team in various ways. This could be through healing, pushing turrets, drawing away fire from weaker characters etc.

Allow me to give some example that are usually not thought off.

Morgana is amazing imo, a spell absorbtion shield that can be cast on anyone, and absorbs slows/stuns etc. A root, and an AoE stun. while it wont heal anything, she offers survivability and crowd control.

Tanks in general (Shen/Alistar/Rammus/Malphite in particualar) are great support characters. They'll initiate a fight, drawing fire to themselves while the DPS finishes everyone off. While people say thats a tank job, i see this more as support then anything else. A tank is a beefy character in my opinion. a Support tank is a game winner.

Also, keep in mind you can transform any character into a support character by itemising for it. Aura items are NOT to be underestimated. Aegis/Starks/Frozen Heart can change a fights outcome.

Accomplice

06-01-2010

My Favorite Supports (No particular order here):

Soraka
Janna
Morgana
Taric
Alistar

Nidwin

06-02-2010

I am new to LoL too (only level 15)

I fell in love with Morgana. I still make tons of mistakes and she's probably not the easiest to play but certainly worth a try.

Saving running teammates has no price.
Seeing Jax or Mord being destroyed by your teammates, after landing that bloody stun (I hate minions) makes may day.
Popping all you have, dying, and hear that sensual voice telling you and all your teammates ACE because of your stun/damage/snare in a teamfight. ;-) (I know I shouldn't have done it but ...)

Great support champion.

nyttyn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2010

Ezreal is pretty good for his damageheal so he's a hard carry with light support abilities, taric is a pretty good support, Janna is OP and likley to be nerfed soon although she IS good, and soraka is quite possiblby the most annoying support ever.

Kmacc

06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyttyn View Post
Ezreal is pretty good for his damageheal so he's a hard carry with light support abilities, taric is a pretty good support, Janna is OP and likley to be nerfed soon although she IS good, and soraka is quite possiblby the most annoying support ever.
I wouldnt consider ezreal a "hard carry", On topic: Ezreal can be an amazing support dps if you build him AP or AD (better for support as AP) and can carry with both builds in different ways, janna I consider the best support in the game (many of you can and will argue this but this is my personal opinion so i have nothing to prove). Janna's shield can save lives, her AoE knock up and turn team fights, her ultimate can save her team from losing a team fight, and her speed increasing ability can allow her to be a good chaser to slow the oponent for your team to finish the runners off. Soraka is a good healer and can bring victories if played right. Really though its all up to your play style which of the support champions you would play.

Sy Lanamelk

06-02-2010

I would suggest 2 champions as support for playing them a lot.

Taric and Morgana.

As Taric you will be the healer mostly with that Q and a 2nd interesting ability early game is E (to stun) its fun to harass or have a well placed stun for an early game assist(or kill if you're lucky). Taric's ultimate is good when pushing for a tower.

You activate it(watch your mana it gets depleted fast) and basically give an attack power boost to nearby ally to help finish that tower or make a massive push towards inhibitors. It also heals Taric over time. You will mainly want aura items like Soul Shroud for the mana regen and cooldown reduction to help support. A bit of AP also helps with heals but you clearly want survivability and fast casting with Taric so you will prioritize those points.

As Morgana you will want to harass oposing champions early game so you can keep pushing that lane. Get the spellshield (E) as soon as possible after getting a point in either Q (for imobilize effect) or W(to farm minions a bit).

You will want HP mostly and some ability power for the spellshield( AP ratio to protection is 1:1 meaning 200 AP is 200 more absorbed magical damage). The strong point about that skill is that you can cast it on an allied champion(or minion..lol) and it protects from incoming magical damage for the amount mentioned at skill level. It also protects from impairing effects such as slow or snare as long as it is up. You will mostly just snare people with Q to save your running teammates or block opposing champions that are running away for allies to finish them off.

I suggest cooldown reduction again for this character and a good amount of AP for the other skills(about 150 AP to start out, you can add more when you start mastering the character). Her ultimate skill Soul Shackles is a good way to slow down some champions as well. When you cast it, it triggers a link to all the enemy champions up to about half screen range and they are slowed during that time(try to snare them with Q during that time) if the link from skill is still up after 4 seconds you will stun that champion giving extra time for team mates to finish him off.(Morgana usually gets a kill at that point if you had Q and W up if timed right with stun duration)

I play her more as an offensive Morgana but i hope i gave good pointers on her and Taric to help out. =)

SethCypher

06-02-2010

Isn't Zilean also a good support mage, or am I missing something?

Sy Lanamelk

06-02-2010

He does help with all his slows and speed up(and that annoying ultimate skill)

I see him more as a pusher though with his bomb spams