[Guide] Gangplank, The Scourge Of The Seven Seas (Carry DPS build) -SmecssRaege-

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmecssRaege

09-18-2009

Quote:
MASTERY TREE/SUMMONER SKILLS/RUNE PAGES:
What i suggest here are exactly that, SUGGESTIONS, the metagame (aka the 3 things listed) are very much up to personal choice
*FOR A HIGHER QUALITY VERSION OF THIS SAME GUIDE VISIT THE FOLLOWING LINK*
http://www.theleagueoflegendswiki.co...-by-smecsraege

Gangplank, The Scourge of the Seven Seas

Skills:
Q: Parrrley - Shoots his pistol dealing damage + 65% of attack as magical damage to the target. Can proc crits, and item procs (ie: Slow from mallet)
W: Remove Scurvy - Removes crowd controlling effects and heals instantly.
E: Raise Morale - Passively increases attack/move speed, Activate by killing a friendly creep for a teamwide bonus that STACKS on yourself with passive
R: Cannon Barrage - Globally ground targeted, rains cannonballs from the sky for 8 seconds, damaging and slowing anyone any enemy who is hit

Passive: Deals 5 (+1 damage per level) damage per second for 7 seconds and reduces incoming heals by 40%
**Something to note: I've tested this for possible awesomeness...and SADLY this passive does not stack with the same proc from executioner's calling :-( **

Runes: Crit Damage, Crit Chance, HP, Mana Regen, Armor Penetration

Summoner Skills
: Flash and Teleport

Ideal Mastery Build: 21/9/0 or 21/0/9

ITEMS:

Starting:
Meki's Pendant, 2 health potions

Meki's Pendant > Philosopher's Stone (If you so choose, can just get meki's pendant)
Avarice Blade
Avarice Blade
Boots 1
B.F. Sword > Cloak of Agility > Infinity's Edge
Berserker's Greaves (Or Boots of Swiftness, although I recommend the attack speed)
Frozen Mallet
>>Sell Philospher's Stone/Meki Pendant<<
Atma's Impaler

For the last 2 items, a bit of choice opens up to you based on the circumstances at hand:

Banshee's Veil - If casters/crowd control are rampant and a problem to you (This would give you about 3.3-3.4k hp, 120ish armor, 90ish MR)
Stark's Fervor - Aura lifesteal, attack speed and health regen for the team and an armor debuff for enemies, always a nice item (especially if you have 1 or 2 more physical dpsers)
Phantom Dancer - Keeps your crit high, gives you some much appreciated attack speed, and movespeed/dodge are very nice too
Last Whisper - Use this if they have some armor stackers, as your auto attack can still put out a punch when mitigating a lot of their armor (no help to parley however, so this item is extremely situational, but it can have it's great effects)
Black Cleaver - Decent damage to parley, but i rarely find the need for the armor debuff, usually in preference of a last whisper here, but against low armor characters, Black Cleaver + Stark's Fervor can have High HP / Low Armor characters hurting pretty fast sometimes.
Bloodthirster - Good damage, good lifesteal... but i don't personally like the "on death" loss of like 33% of the item's total effectiveness

SKILL BUILD:

1: Q (use for last shots to gain extra gold, and to stay out of harassing range while still making money)
2: W (use this as a survival mechanism only, DO NOT use it just for the heal unless its life or death, use it as a low cooldown cleanse)
3: Q
4: E (use whenever you get into a team battle near a creep or feel you might next a bit of extra move speed/attack speed to finish the job)
5: Q
6: R (see notes below, need to explain in more detail)
7: Q
8: E
9: Q (maxed out here)
10: E
11: R
12: E
13: E (maxed out here)
14: W
15: W
16: R (maxed out here)
17: W
18: W (maxed out here)

Early Game(1-5): You should just simply be trying to gain money via the uses of last hitting and ESPECIALLY parrrley (whilst always trying to conserve just enough mana to use remove scurvy to get out of a bad situation early on)

Mid Game
(5-11): Once you have picked up your philospher's stone and 2 avarice blades, you can start to consider harassing heros, and hitting them HARD! At this point you should be sitting in the 40-45% crit area, and a crit parrrley should put about 350-500 hitpoints of hurt onto an unsuspecting target (and at these levels, that can literally be upwards of HALF of someone health in one shot, which i guarantee will cause them to think twice about approaching you softly, and easily set up for kills with the ulti+parrrley combo)

Mid-Late Game(11-16): At this point people should really be noticing your presence in the game if you've gotten your Infinity's Edge + Mallet, you should pretty much be able to take out just about anyone in a team battle, save your parley for enemy carry heros to but a huge dent in their hp bars to deter them from attacking your team, and then just move in for the kills, use parrrley as a ranged slow if needed if you have your mallet

Late Game
(16+): Basically the exact same as Mid-Late Game...except now you should just hit harder and harder =)

Lanemates/Partners:

People you want:
Somebody who can snare, continual slows (somthing pirate HEAVILY lacks until he gets frozen hammer at 30-40 minutes in) stunners...basically people that can give time to do some work and go to town (as well as massively increasing the effectiveness of your ulti) You also could prefer a good harasser, as at first you cant harass at all, but come 2 avarice blades time, you can ezily pop people for 400-450 dmg at lvl 8 or so at about a 40-45% frequency.... people WILL NOT expect this, and feel safe with half hp....teach them otherwise :-) **Ranged is a big plus**

Such As: Ashe, Viegar, Ryze, Karthus, Anivia, Morgana, Blitzcrank ,Evelynn, Twitch, Sivir etc.

People you don't want
: Other meleer's who are bad at lane control and push preventing, as early game gangplank SUCKS at stopping pushes

Such As: Warwick Dr. Mundo, Kayle

People that you synergize EXTREMELY WELL WITH IN TEAM BATTLES, but not necessarily laning
Amumu: Curse of Sad Mummy + Cannon Barrage = this is pretty good, not the best, but really not bad either if you time it right
Nunu: Absolute Zero + Cannon Barrage = SO MUCH SLOW, they cant move away from cannonballs so you have the power of cannons then the explosion
Singed: Knocking People back for you to pick off can keep you a bit safer in team battle situations
Allistar: Same story as singed, but with a nice stun and the ability to soak A LOT of damage
Tryndamere: Mocking shout is a huge benefit to your suvivablity and killability + he soaks a lot of damage in pub games when he's low hp with ulti on
Malphite: His ulti and cannon barrage can really get a lot of damage going if it's timed well enough and keep people in range for seismec + frozen mallet slows as well

How to approach battles:
Early-Mid Late Game: Stay on the outskirts or "mid-range" and pop as many people with parrrleys as you can, PRIORITIZING YOUR TARGETS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AT THIS TIME.... Carrys / Supports are high priority, protecting your supports is also high priority. At this point you should sit near any supports you might have and parley/melee anyone trying to advance and put another parley into him when its back up. At this point you staying alive as long as possible to pound as many parleys into their squishies is extremely important here.

Late Game: If you catch a hero 1v1... you can pretty much make work of most heroes(but not all, every hero has it's counters) in this situation, in team battles, it becomes tricky... same deal as before but with more intensity, and way more defined target priorities. Anyone thats carrying and has lower HP...lay into them, the faster you can spook and intimidate them and get them out of the fight is extremely important to your teams overall team battle success, Also at this point you do so much spike damage with your high cdamage high % crits that you can think about just gunning for unguaraded support heros and putting them down in 2-3 shots from full HP.

Final Note:I love gangplank always have since the beginning of his release, ever since his "OP" stages however, i have been playing him less and less =.=
Also: I'm not sure if the "Scurvy" debuff you get on your bar actually does something or not >.<;;
Also: Picking up Lizard Elder buffs is a great help pre-frozen mallet for slows, and the golem buff helps your DPS out by dropping parley cooldown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~END OF GANGPLANK, THE SCOURGE OF THE SEVEN SEAS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this guide, please feel free to leave a comment, ask a question or check out my other guides found on my directory thread located here:
http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...d.php?p=129593

DryPenguin

09-18-2009

Thanks for the guide our input has been useful in all things Gangplank. I still think you highly overestimate his abilities especially when you say "late game if you catch a hero 1v1 you can make work of most heroes".

Nonetheless, I am hoping that the recent patch improves some of his flaws. I really love him

SmecssRaege

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryPenguin View Post
Thanks for the guide our input has been useful in all things Gangplank. I still think you highly overestimate his abilities especially when you say "late game if you catch a hero 1v1 you can make work of most heroes".

Nonetheless, I am hoping that the recent patch improves some of his flaws. I really love him
The way i play (as explained in this guide) i am able to go toe to toe with pretty much anyone, jax is the trickiest though, but if you just harass him with cannon barrage / parley you can avoid giving him counterstrike procs

it becomes harder if he gets frozen mallet because you cant kite as well

but yes of course this isnt the 1 hero to beat them all, everyone has their counters...

but gangplank is more than contestable and can put up a damn good fight in most situations.

(Hell i've gone toe to toe with sion WITH his ulti up, by just auto attack/parrrley, no kiting involved)

Kirmaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2009

Add cathegory: Music to listen to, then include this link:
http://www.myspace.com/alestorm
overall, decent guide.

Hmmer94

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
The way i play (as explained in this guide) i am able to go toe to toe with pretty much anyone, jax is the trickiest though, but if you just harass him with cannon barrage / parley you can avoid giving him counterstrike procs

it becomes harder if he gets frozen mallet because you cant kite as well

but yes of course this isnt the 1 hero to beat them all, everyone has their counters...

but gangplank is more than contestable and can put up a damn good fight in most situations.

(Hell i've gone toe to toe with sion WITH his ulti up, by just auto attack/parrrley, no kiting involved)

Any hero can go vs any hero as long as the person playing is skilled enough to overcome the oponents skill
Good guide

SmecssRaege

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmer94 View Post
Any hero can go vs any hero as long as the person playing is skilled enough to overcome the oponents skill
Good guide
Yeah pretty much, but in a melee vs melee combat, being able to pop the first shot with parley give's a good start (unless it gets dodged, which is always saddening)

And against ranged heros who usually dont hold up to a melee ambush, you can pop a slow on them from range w/ mallet and then move up into melee range (using remove scurvy to knock off any snare/trick they may have tried to pull on you)

SmecssRaege

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmaster View Post
Add cathegory: Music to listen to, then include this link:
http://www.myspace.com/alestorm
overall, decent guide.
haha at first i thought u were shamelessly promoting something....but i got curious, and i checked out the link, that's pretty epic stuff right there <3

On the side note, thank you for the comment

Hmmer94

09-18-2009

Gangplank is so nice now that he has been buffed

SmecssRaege

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmer94 View Post
Gangplank is so nice now that he has been buffed
He was amazingly nice before...now... OMG <3

He has officially polevaulted from: A hero i greatly enjoy playing(probably about 10-15 heroes in thie category)... to my #1 current favourite hero (taking the spot away from Ashe)

DryPenguin

09-18-2009

What do you think about the recent changes and how does it affect how you plan to build and play Gangplank?

12345 ... 9