Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] How To Be Effective With Ashe

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Turk021

05-31-2010

The purpose of this guide is to build an Ashe that will be effective in her roll of being a DPS carry. Not a tank. Not a support of any kind. Therefore there will be no items, runes, or masteries that don't coincide with this goal.

Ashe is a great champion. She has a long range and long duration stun, a long range AoE damage and slow, plus her autoattacks can slow. Late game when you are raping minion waves with volley, her plentiful bounty skill really racks up some gold.

First off, my masteries and rune setup.

Masteries
- http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4304/masteries.png (http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4304/masteries.png)

21/0/9
- Why? Because Ashe is meant to wreck people. Get the armor pen, bonus damage, bonus crit damage, etc, etc. In the utility tree I pick up improved ghost, XP bonus, and one point into meditation. Maybe that point in meditation would be better in the lengthened duration of neutral buffs, but I like more mp5 (helps early game).

Runes
- http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1011/runesi.png

Marks - Armor Pen
Glyphs - MP5/lvl
Seals - MP5/lvl
Quints - I like 2 flat HP and 1 armor pen, but you could do all flat hp or all armor pen.

Totals: 22 armor pen, 28 MP5 @ lvl 18, 65 HP

Skill Order

R > W > Q > E

I level up volley over frost shot because the CDR on volley reduces drastically as you level it up....and volley is awesome.

Item Build
Itemization is CRUCIAL. So many people fail with Ashe through their itemization. I read guides telling you to get Catalysts or *gasp* Philosopher's Stones early game! What?! Why?! Ashe plays from range and she can slow and stun people. If you are getting harassed then you aren't (no offense) playing Ashe to her true potential. But I'll get into gameplay later.

1. Long Sword + 1 health pot (wait around after the minions spawn to pick up another pot if you want, but you don't really need it)

2. Brutalizer or Boots of Speed

3. Brutalizer or Boots of Speed

4. BF Sword (if you find yourself in one of those crappy solo queue teams, strapped for cash because your team is getting rocked then you could sub this out for a pickaxe)

5. Upgrade Boots to either Boots of Swiftness or Merc Treads

6. Upgrade BF sword (or pickaxe) to Infinity Edge, getting the cloak last

7. Recurve Bow

8. Upgrade to Last Whisper

9. Upgrade Brutalizer to Ghostblade (and freakin use it! often!)

You now have a very solid damage output that will make even tanks wary. For the last two items, I'd pick from among these :
Black Cleaver, Banshee's Veil, Frozen Mallet, Bloodthirster

Summoner Spells

Ghost and Teleport

GAMEPLAY STRATEGY

Early Game
I like to take middle every time, although you will follow the same gameplay principles if you happen to end up in a side lane. First off, as always, stay at a safe distance until you see the enemy champion. Now get to work...farming gold and pushing towers. With all the mana regen from runes and masteries, you can volley frequently. If the enemy champion is being cautious and staying behind minions ( where your volley won't hit him), then simply don't volley and continue last hitting. When he comes in for a harass, instantly volley and back away. If he is ranged (which usually most mids are) then hit him with volley and immediately peg him with a frost shot as he runs away. If he keeps running, chase him with 1 or 2 more shots. If he turns back towards you then run away. You don't want to be hit at all, you want to just wear him down so that he will bluepill and you can press his tower. Once you push him back to his tower, start wailing on it. If he wants to come up and say something, then volley and run back. All the while, remember to last hit creeps! You need the gold badly. Unless I know I can get the definite kill, I'll save my ghost till I hit lvl 6. Frost Arrow from a reasonable distance, followed up by ghost to close the distance, volley, and a few auto attacks generally result in a kill.

Rest of the Game
Once you've got your brutalizer and boots of speed, its up to you whether or not to stay middle and press the tower or to go gank other lanes. This is completely situational and up to you. If they don't send another person to defend mid, I usually get middle tower down within 6-8 minutes - it's too easy. With this setup you won't have to worry about mana regen, and if you are playing correctly you won't be losing too much HP (I'll take 1-2 health pots with me usually until around lvl 13 just to make sure I can stay out in the field for long periods of time and continue to stay on top of my leveling).

Just remember how to play Ashe - from RANGE. In teamfights, stay behind your tanks and other teammates. Volley constantly and step in for auto attacks when you can. But if someone rushes towards you, immediately run away - don't be afraid to pop ghost or ghostblade either to escape. If they continue to chase you, kite them with volley while your team wails on them. If they abandon the chase, then immediately turn around and continue your harassment. Once they are low and running away, THEN you chase with frost arrow. Ashe is an excellent harasser and chaser, but she is very squishy and not meant for up close and personal combat - play accordingly.

Other Tips
- Shooting your ultimate all the way across the map is ******ed. Please use it at reasonable distances so its not wasted.
- I see a lot of Ashe's dying because they are trying to get golem or farm minions off by themselves. Ashe is squishy, she dies quickly. So don't go off on your own. The only exception is if you have all your abilities ready and have over 50% hp. When I have my volley, ult, and ghost ready I can get away quick.
- Get Golem whenever possible (lvl 9-10 is safe to get it by volley spamming it). Once you have it, volley spam so much that the other team will be forced to retreat (allowing you to press towers, which wins the game!!!)
- Remember that you win games by pressing towers, not racking up champion kills. Some games I won't have any kills till I'm lvl 10+, but I'll have 2-3 of the outer towers down. You can press champions back to their tower with volley, and then continue to press them AT their tower. You get them so low from volleying and your ult that they are forced to abandon their defense, and you get an easy tower.

Please respond with any criticism or questions

Vienna

05-31-2010

I would really, strongly recommend Catalyst as your first item. It rounds her out more, gives her a way to get some healing going (because seriously, who's going to push a careful Ashe out of lane?) and is always upgradable to the seemingly inevitable Banshee's.

1337SuperNewb

Recruiter

05-31-2010

Shooting your arrow across the map isn't ******ed if someone is pushing the tower at level 5-7, since they won't have merc treads yet and will likely be standing still.

I agree with everything except starting with a longsword. If you're soloing mid, you need a doran's item (shield or sword) for the early hp, even with 3 hp quints. I recognize that you're trying not to get hit, but trist and annie outrange you while kat and karthus can outrange you with spells, since early volley isn't up all that often. Most mids also have a way of closing the distance, so, while you can use range to your advantage, it won't always save your life.

Also; a perfectly viable item after ghostblade is a brutalizer.

Lastly, it's very likely that another hero better utilizes golem, so give it to them.

All in all, a good guide.

Turk021

05-31-2010

In response to the Catalyst...NOO. You DON'T need any more hp or mana or healing or whatever with the setup in my guide. You WON'T take enough damage to merit spending that gold on a defensive item. If you want a Banshee's Veil (which is reasonable), then get it later on in the game AFTER you bought the DPS items in my guide. When you are laning, you are making every single volley connect with an enemy champion. You WILL wear them down hard while taking little to no damage yourself. Also, building up your damage with my guide will allow you to really rack up gold later on. Your volley's will rip through minion waves and jungle creeps - that, coupled with plentiful bounty, will quickly net you the money you need for a Veil later on.

I still think longsword is the best way to start off. I'll explain:

1- You aren't wasting money on a doran's item...you will use your longsword in the brutalizer. Wasting money on useless stuff sets you back.

2- When you are laning against champs with long range attacks, then stay at a safe distance. Try and line up your volley so that it last hits minions and hits the champ. Run in to volley, then run back out. I've gone up against all of these champs, and trust me its very doable if you play it right. The only champ that I'll have trouble against is Katarina because she can wear you down hard with BB if she has some magic pen. If you want to know specific ways to deal with certain champs then I could give some advice. Every champ but Katarina is manageable with my setup - not just manageable, but they will get pressed hard.

1337SuperNewb

Recruiter

05-31-2010

Ashe suffers from some issues in early mid that doran's items help cover up, namely:

Lack of a serious nuke. Volley is a great harassing tool, fun for the back and forth before a teamfight and scales with your damage. It is not, for obvious balance reasons, a hard nuke. Tristana, corki and annie will destroy you if they get in range, and two of them have skills that allow them to close the distance. Extra HP effectively negates one incoming nuke and has saved me many a life and gotten me many a kill.

Lack of an escape skill. Frost arrow is much more useful for chasing than it is for running away. If trist jumps on you, uses her E skill and hits you a few times while you run away and hit her a few times, she is going to come out on top as far as HP is concerned. The extra hp from a doran's makes it so she leaves you with enough to come back in and harass her some more without the fear of death.

Lack of HP. She's down there with the rest of the squishies, I don't feel the need to elaborate on this one and I would agree that it's the weakest point since most mids are squishy. But, extra HP helps her survive. Simple as that.

Turk021

05-31-2010

You aren't really grasping my point, that Ashe attacks from range. When you are laning against a champion, you constantly keep in mind all of their abilities and what they can do to you. You keep your distance and play accordingly. If you want to see how it works, I'd gladly play a 1v1 game with you. You can be any of those champs you named, and I'll show you how its done.

Turk021

05-31-2010

Tower kills win games. Creep kills give you gold. Champ kills come while pressing towers. Keep that mentality and you will shine

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7128/statpage.png

Vienna

05-31-2010

Ashe hasn't changed much, but back when Furor was active, he had like a 7-1 Ashe w/l ratio (correct me if I'm wrong) in high ELO and always got Catalyst first. Always. The simple truth of the matter is that in a well-coordinated environment, Ashe is a very tempting target because of her teamwide Volley hits and her glass cannon-esque niche. Keeping what your opponent has in mind is fine and dandy, except that it's mutual.

You're talking like you'll always be able to consistently outplay your opponents; but it doesn't always happen. Catalyst not only makes your mana manageable and provides you an excess of HP, but it also gives you more HP and the start up (Sapphire) allows more liberal harass early.

Really, the only Ashe player I can think of that doesn't get Catalyst like that is probably tictacs.

Turk021

05-31-2010

You don't have to outplay them to keep your distance. I have great mobility with boots of swiftness, ghost, and ghostblade. Those + my slows means I'm messing up if I can't keep my distance during fights.

Like I said, you don't have mana problems with the runes and masteries I use - I harass verry liberally with volley. You don't need the extra HP because you are a ranged harasser and chaser. You need damage and mobility early game - not HP. Every single time I go up against an Ashe that builds something like catalyst, philo stone, vamp scepter, or anything BUT what they need (damage) then they fall behind. I'm all for building HP first on champions that need to get up close and personal, but Ashe just doesn't.

Ovy

05-31-2010

This is *almost* verbatim how I play my Ashe. A couple differences:

1) You dont need 2 full sets of mp5/lvl runes. One set is plenty to spam volley past level 11, which is really when you want it anyway. Run dodge in yellow, or alternatively, MR/lvl or CD/lvk in blue.

2) I also like to start with Doran's shield and a pot mid, for the reasons stated. I do think its a matter of preference though. I do not get a catalyst.

3) I don't usually get ghostblade after LW. I assume you are getting it to escape? Generally I don't need it with flash/ghost summoner spells. Plus, the active is only extended on *melee* hits. More often than not, if the game is going that long, I'll build a BV or bloodrazor (recurve bow first), depending on what I need more.

Overall, a very strong outline for Ashe players looking to improve. I do think its a touch thin for a full guide, but hey, playing Ashe is not rocket science

Good luck.