Computer Randomly Shuts Off While Playing LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeroicEdge

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2011

Title says it all. Since either the Riven patch or Skarner patch my computer has been randomly shutting off completely without going into shutdown mode while playing league of legends. I'm not sure what's causing this issue but it occurs only when I'm playing league and it occurs at times when the computer's been on all day or when it's only been on for less than an hour. It usually happens once every 1-3 days.

I attached a DxDiag output containing my system specifications.

tsumeone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2011

If the computer is rebooting: Disable automatic restart on system failure. Hold down windows logo key + R to get the run dialog, type sysdm.msc and press enter, go to advanced tab, click "settings" under startup and recovery, and uncheck automatic restart. Next time you should get a blue screen error message.

If it is shutting off without warning: Either the power supply is going bad since they're all made with cheap components sadly and tend to not last very long, or it is likely your PC is shutting down for protection due to overheating. Open the case and vacuum out any dust especially around the CPU fan and video card fan.

RenegadeTQ

09-17-2011

I had this happen once to me as well. I thought it was due to a computer update but I didn't have one when it restarted o.o

HeroicEdge

09-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumeone View Post
If the computer is rebooting: Disable automatic restart on system failure. Hold down windows logo key + R to get the run dialog, type sysdm.msc and press enter, go to advanced tab, click "settings" under startup and recovery, and uncheck automatic restart. Next time you should get a blue screen error message.

If it is shutting off without warning: Either the power supply is going bad since they're all made with cheap components sadly and tend to not last very long, or it is likely your PC is shutting down for protection due to overheating. Open the case and vacuum out any dust especially around the CPU fan and video card fan.
The computer is not rebooting, it shuts off without warning.

I should hope the PSU isn't going bad, the computer's not really that old...my old Compaq's PSU lasted 7 years. As for the fans. I just cleaned them very recently and I keep the tower dust free, so...maybe the my CPU fan is just going out? :-/ Sigh, computers...they are so annoying.

Thanks for the input.

tsumeone

09-17-2011

PSU are generally **** now, it's one component that consistently gets made worse and cheaper every year I'd recommend picking up a cheapo unit online and put it in. Either way, it's good to have a spare. You could also go to best buy and get one, and if it doesnt fix the problem return it.

HeroicEdge

09-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumeone View Post
PSU are generally **** now, it's one component that consistently gets made worse and cheaper every year I'd recommend picking up a cheapo unit online and put it in. Either way, it's good to have a spare. You could also go to best buy and get one, and if it doesnt fix the problem return it.
Alright, thanks for the tip. I'm going to send it in to the shop if the problem persists, though, just to let them deal with it instead, and I'll update this thread with additional information if I get the problem fixed.

Slunk3R

12-14-2011

Sadly enough the OP hasn't updated this topic anymore, however, I have the exact same problem.. Sometimes it doesn't happen for like 3 days and then it happens 3 times in 1 game.. It is so frustrating and I am losing MANY games because of this.

This only happens to me when playing League of Legends. I have no idea what the problem might be, I even tried to format my laptop, but it didn't help at all.. It seems like a hardware or overheating problem, but my laptop isn't hot at all and sometimes only running for like 15 minutes.. (When I boot my laptop and start playing, I'm ingame for like 10 minutes and BAM it shuts down without errors)

Does anyone know how to fix this extremely frustrating problem??

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

12-14-2011

Hard shutdowns like that are almost always caused by some sort of hardware issue.

The most common culprits are overheating on the CPU/GPU, issues with the power supply, or failing RAM.

DatPrincessPeach

12-14-2011

I get this problem too.

However it only happens during league, i could leave my PC on for weeks figuratively but it will shut itself down up to 7 times in a single game.

The fact that this problem only happens on League and none of the others game i own is leading to be rather frustrating.

reapermaster

12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregionius View Post
Hard shutdowns like that are almost always caused by some sort of hardware issue.

The most common culprits are overheating on the CPU/GPU, issues with the power supply, or failing RAM.
2nd this. usually overheating. its a protection mechanism built into the system to try and prevent permanent damage. grab a can of air and do your best to dust out the system.