Why I won't pay for LoL (broken RP system)

1234511 ... 27
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klanky

05-30-2010

Dear Fellas at Riot,

I am writing because I want to spend money on LoL. Actually I feel obligated to at least drop 35 dollars into LoL because the game is great, everything is nicely set up (wish there was a VoIP client built into the game), and the game mechanics are quite nice.

Compared to HoN I enjoy LoL even though some features like the mentioned VoIP is missing, but overall the gameplay is much improved over DoTA which HoN failed to do. However HoN costs 30 dollars. Period. With mods, and custom maps, and everything. LoL costs over a few hundred dollars if bought. I mean honestly it is not worth it.

However my complaint is really split into two parts. First is the ridiculous prices, and second is the fed-uppedness of the RP system.

First the pricing. The champions and skins are overpriced. For 35 dollars I get a whooping 5 champions which are considered legendary. I consider that completely ****ed up. True you release champions once every couple of weeks, but this is ridiculous. I would think that the champions should be 100 (cheap), 200 (l2), 300 (l3), 400 (legendary) rp points at worst, even if that much. And note that some 3100ip champions cost the same amount of rp as 6300 champions, which is ****ed up big time. I really feel like I am going to get ripped off the second I spend any money. True when there are sales the prices might get into reasonable amounts, but that is wrong. Summary: Prices are WAAAY higher than what the value should be.

Second is the actual amounts. You buy RP with discounts (5000 for $35, which gives some bonus rp based on value) which is fine. You can make RP sales where this week you get a bonus 300 rp or whatever with your purchase. This would be fine, except that in the end you charge 520 rp or 375 or whatever. The numbers are TERRIBLE. Players wind up getting 55 or 40 or some small useless number of RP left over for the next purchase. I know this is intentional but it is horribly evil. Microsoft is getting sued at the moment for their pricing strategies with microsoft points for xbox (you buy 12 dollars worth but games generally cost 10 or so dollars so you always have to put more money in to get the full worth of your previous purchase). This is wrong, and is a way to exploit your clients not encourage them to buy.

So to sum it all up: I want to spend money on the game. I feel the price is much higher than the value I have for anything in-game (hey I don't think a $20 corki skin is worth it EVER, and think anyone who owns it is a moron). And I feel that the pricing strategy is evil and even more discouraging. Therefore I won't be spending money anytime soon in LoL.

Improvements:
Roll prices up/down so that each purchase is in increments of 50 RP. 100, 150, 200, 250, etc. In all cases the price should always be in 50 increments. So just roll down prices to the previous 50 increment. That will make me about 50% more likely to buy.

Make the champion bundles price decrease if you already have some champions unlocked. (10% more likely to buy)

Make the prices much more reasonable. $35 should buy most content available now, and I should be able to spend maybe another $35 for content that would come out in the next 2 years. Unless you guys are going for the korean mmorpg pricing strategies. (40% more likely to buy) -- I'm ok with spending more money than mentioned for extras like skins.

So there you have it, If you fix these issues you are guaranteed at least one paying customer who would otherwise not pay. Hopefully others agree.

Dimmondback

05-30-2010

You are my hero...

Sparro

05-30-2010

was brought up a long time ago =/ and god **** it i wish things would change.....

so a +1 for bringing up a old but good point

Mella Kara

05-30-2010

While I agree with this entire post...

Still buying Kayle's new skin if it's released for RP.

shaitara

05-30-2010

wont change as long as mommy and daddy keep taking out the credit card

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2010

If you play a few hundred games, you get more ip than you need for all the champs and runes you want.

Just drop some RP on skins, support the game. RP lets you support the game as much as you want, ip keeps you from being dependent on RP for champs.

Prosecutor Godot

05-30-2010

I agree that they're overpriced, but since they're just fluff, you can just throw in some money as a donation anyway.

qeadz

05-30-2010

you have a pretty awesome game in which all new champions added will, at some stage, be on rotation and available for everyone to play. you can, and probably have, spent more time playing LoL than is expected of entire games which cost upward of $40 at retail.

if you havent fronted up with some money into Riot's pockets by now, i highly doubt you will at all.

enjoy the rotations~~

Ezreal Senpai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2010

Hooplaa

05-30-2010

I think I just fell in love. Well said dude.

1234511 ... 27