Runes and Item build for Shen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geeeeeek

05-30-2010

Just want to know what runes and item build I should get for a tank shen? I know that there are guides but most of them don't have much feedback and the ones that do aren't very positive so I was unsure before I invest my IP.

Any help is appreciated!

LotionExplosion

05-30-2010

I'd like to know as well. I seem to die too quickly using the typical warmogs. Wouldn't something like rushing Banshee's, thornmail, guardian angel, etc be better?

DayInTheSun

05-30-2010

Warmogs is tedious to fill up for Shen, I wouldn't recommend buying it. Frozen mallet on the other hand is a really good item for him.

I find that tanking with Shen is pretty adaptable. You need a bit of HP first but afterwards you should try to analyze what their team comp is and get your armor/magic resist up accordingly.

Also remember that despite being a really good tank, no champion in the game can survive sustained fire from multiple champions. Your problem of dying too quickly is probably due to not initiating properly or getting caught out of position.

Geeeeeek

05-30-2010

I'm more interested in a rune build? Any suggestions?

DayInTheSun

05-30-2010

Marks - Armor Pen
Seals - Dodge
Glyphs - Cooldown or magic resist
Quints - Health

Works well with a lot of champions, not just Shen. If you want even more toughness then switch the armor pen for magic resist, health or armor.

Arthas Menethil

05-31-2010

Item build:

If facing physical team -> Ninja Tabi, else Merc Treads

Then build Aegis of the Legion, core item

I usually get Rylai's next for the slow on Vorpal, AP for ult and the health.

Next item depends on opponents. If they are CC heavy get a Banshee's, if they are mostly physical stack Sunfires.

Switch your build up if you find it's not working.

Soookayyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2010

for runes personally i have been using
marks : flat MR
seals : dodge
glyphs : MR per lvl
quints : 32hp

seems to be working really well for me so far and with a defensive tree dying is absolutly not a problem. if anything i dont feel like i am getting focused enough so i am experimenting with a more hybrid buid with more CDR for items.

old build i would do levi, appropritate boots, warmogs,

now i do something a bit more flexiable where i will get my first 3 items to be
HoG, Avarice then boots. build levi, build omen and yoomoos.

with but that is more still in testing. but had a lot more gold earned at the end of the game which was a + but also was a bit more fragile.

builds are really hard to get down perfect on a very flexible char like shen, frozen mallet is one of the most universaly accepted items for him. warmog is very debated. omen is epic if you can learn to actualy hit that button the sword is to just get more kills really because after a while if you completely ignore offense you will really be useless and having 30% CDR from the omen and yoomoo goes a very very long way into using feint alot more so this also make you tank better even with buying a slightly more offensive item

Grandpappy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2010

I play shen as a burster, so my runes are magic pen, dodge, mr/lvl, and hp quints. Masteries I run 8/21/1 (ghost/cleanse or ghost/exhaust). The items I build 99% of the time are merc treads/aegis/frozen mallet. After that, it's team dependent.

Henkenfeldt

05-31-2010

hmm my runes are red magicpen (actually all real dmg from a tank-shen is in fact his passive and the blade->magic) yellow life/lvl and magicres/lvl - essences of course life/lvl

tankbuild (differs with the enemys setup)

1. ruby crystal -> leviathan IF your lane goes well
2. boots -> ninja tabi / mercury boots
3. aegis of legion / sunfirecape
4. aegis of legion / sunfirecape
5. randuins omen
6. thornmail / guardian angel

-> you have to decide wether you get more hp/armor or magic res, depending on the enemys team and your early game

Geeeeeek

05-31-2010

aw ****. i bought flat magic resist for my glyphs because dayinthesun didn't clarify. =/ also i bought armor for my marks? is that okay?