Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Game CRASHES... The driver stopped responding but has recovered

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tybeau

10-02-2011

thought i'd post saying having same problem all going good then black screen, error message at bottom saying its recovered, GTX 570

ejaximus

10-05-2011

After all of today's changes, this one has yet to be fixed. Anyone have any better luck?

Huhenyo

10-06-2011

Same problem here.

Dell Dimension e520
Windows Vista 32 bit
4 gb of ram
core 2 duo 2.13ghz
XFX GT 240
Nvidia 280.26 drivers

Very frustrating. Got worst with Xerath patch yesterday, but was terrible before that.

I've only had this card for about 2 weeks, but have had problems the whole time.

Dremons

10-06-2011

They have time to nerf Morgana and Singed, but the dont have time to fix the client -.-
The best is when you're banned for -52 years.

SwiftGuard

10-09-2011

Got this from an official mod on the NVIDIA forums:

"Although the bug is fixed it did not make it into the 285.38 driver I'm afraid. The next refresh is the official 285.xx driver and that should pickup the fix. We are targeting mid October for the official release of the 285.xx driver. Check back for the next 285.xx official update then and that should hopefully resolve the issue"

So it looks like we only need to wait another week or two!

Mysterious Guile

10-11-2011

How did this bug manage to suddenly manifest itself in all previous driver versions suddenly too?

Jj1nN

11-29-2011

Quote:
Mysterious Guile:
How did this bug manage to suddenly manifest itself in all previous driver versions suddenly too?

This is a good question. (my original thought was that the new driver, changed some settings in windows, dunno)

However after I've experienced this screen flashing black and the "stopped responding" pop-up.. It's like my system has become weaker.. It happens in other games as well.

Anyone here have had the same experience?

(my system is VERY unstable atm, due to all these flashes..)

Jj1nN

12-02-2011

Update:

Now I'm at a point where device manager gives me "error 43" when looking at gtx 470.

Basically windows 7 has deactivated the card, i can't find a way to make it work again.

Plastictit

12-08-2011

I've been having this issue for the last few days. Out of nowhere, mid-game my screen starts to flicker then my whole screen goes black and will either completely lock my PC up or go to desktop saying that there was a recovery from a driver not responding. The driver is nvlddmkm.sys.

I've gone through and rolled back nvidia drivers. Used the newest ones. Beta drivers. Nothing changed at all. Oddly enough, this only happens to me on LoL. Odd indeed............................................................................................................................

Pilotin

12-25-2011

I had a 550 GTi videocard and it never crashed.

Now I got a brand new EVGA GTX 580... random black screen, and the nvlddmkm error.

I've done a clean install of drivers again, nothing changed. I've been playing BF3 at ultra details and Skyrim too, never had this problem, it only seems to happen with LoL. Sometimes I play 2-3 games without any problem and then, boom, again.

I've running EVGA Precision on background and I noticed that often (not always) when the crash happens, there's a GPU usage spike up to 99%.

Also, I've checked the Windows Event Manager (I recommend you to do the same) and I've looking for a pattern and I found it.

This is what happens to me:

First, the Desktop Windows Manager is closed by an application referred as (4) - maybe the game?

Second, at the same time, Desktop Windows Manager tries to enable again, but fails.

Third, 4 seconds later the nvlddmkm event happens, cited as a 'Warning', so the blackout.

Try to look for these events in your Windows Event Manager. You can find it under Control Panel, in Administrative Tools.