Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Always have to hit retry

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

neotran

Recruiter

02-11-2012

Bump. When I do arranged team in ou LAN we can play a game and then the next seems to always come with this bug

neotran

Recruiter

02-12-2012

Bump

dopeyslowpoke

02-15-2012

Bumping because I'm having the same problem and have been since July/August.

Luckily, I'm able to play LoL, it's just after champion select, I always have to click "retry" in order for the game to start.

StarCom

06-06-2012

Bumping this up as I found a solution to my problem at last and it may help a couple people willing to do same steps.

After getting nowhere trying to chase this problem down, I quit playing altogether. I came back about a week ago and not much to my surprise the problem persisted. But not only did it persist, now I had to hit retry TWICE to get into the game. I kind of laughed after the first few games and was wondering if maybe it was Riot telling me not to play or something. Anyways, there was no way in hell I was going to put up with a 60 second wait after champion select to hit the loading screen. So I started searching for the problem again...

Short Story:
I eventually setup my DSL modem in a bridge mode to my router, and had my router handle the PPPoE login/authentication instead of the modem. And while I'm no expert in networking, obviously there is some kind of flaw in the way my modem (D-Link DSL-520B) handles the traffic or Riot is using some kind of network hack to route stuff and isn't compatible. Whatever the case is, I'm glad I no longer have to put up with hitting retry.

Long Story:
The first step to tracking down the problem was again trying to remove any components not needed and isolate it as much as possible. I hooked up to the modem directly again having a twisted pair->modem->pc setup. This did absolutely nothing except having a couple people downstairs *****ing the internet wasn't working (tough stuff, go back to sleep). After taking a moment realizing I was looking for big foot again, I looked around and my phone caught my eye. I just got a new phone that could tether wirelessly or through USB. Using my phones internet should eliminate any ISP/routing/networking issues if I get the same problem. I hooked it up and started a custom game. Low and behold I went straight into the loading screen. I checked it about 4 more times just to make sure as it does go through sometimes, although rare. I figured 5 times was enough to determine it was actually working. Now I had to figure out exactly what was going wrong with the modem. I kind of took a leap of faith for my ISP not being the problem as the game did use to work just fine a long time ago. So I opened up the configuration page again and started devouring over all the settings usually having to look them up to see what they actually do. I tried a lot of different settings while pretty much getting nowhere. Eventually I got to PPPoE Bridged, of course I had to look it up and found out it basically gets rid of NAT and DHCP, which was something I couldn't do before completely (the modem won't let me disable NAT for some reason). I quickly setup a Mini-WAN PPPoE connection in windows to test it out. After connecting and getting internet networking, I tested League out. Bingo. Worked flawlessly, I don't even remember how many times I tested it, but it was a lot. From here it was pretty straightforward, I needed to bridge to the wireless router instead of my PC. I left all the settings on the modem the same. I plugged just the router up to my PC and entered the configuration site. I turned on DHCP and set the PPPoE settings. I then plugged the modem into the routers yellow port (internet only) and plugged my PC into the switch connections on the router. So now the setup is twisted pair->modem->router->pc like normal. I tested it again to make sure the NETGEAR router doesn't work as badly as the D-Link does and everything worked fine.

I'll try to get some screen shots of how I have my modem setup in Bridged PPPoE and wiring setup between them all tomorrow. Also as I've said a hundred times by now I have DSL, and I have no clue as to how cable connects, so this may not be applicable if you're a cable/fiber user. Though U-Verse is technically still (v)DSL, so if you have that you may be in luck (probably wont have problems to begin with though, as you can't use aftermarket modems).

I also want to apologize to Nossaj for giving him a hard time, although I still think he was being a bit redundant (bot-like as he says).

pirkqlater

06-06-2012

Quote:
StarCom:
Bumping this up as I found a solution to my problem at last and it may help a couple people willing to do same steps.

How do i accomplish this with cheap Westell router? Dont understand any of this PPPoE NAT DHCP stuff :/
so confused

StarCom

06-06-2012

I have no idea how to do each specific brand/model, but I'll try to give some simpler steps with pictures. Also I want to state here that this may not help everyone. You may not even have equipment capable of doing it how I did. As always, backup or write down any settings you change so if the apocalypse happens you can restore the world back to normal.

The first thing you want to do is plug your DSL modem directly into your computer. Then you need to figure out what the modem's (or gateway) IP is, so that you can connect to it. Assuming it has a web-page configuration setup, which most do now days. The IP is usually 192.168.1.1 by default. You can also look at the bottom of the modem itself and it usually says what it should be, along with the username/password to log in (usually admin/admin).

Once you're in the modem's configuration, you need to find out how to setup PPPoE Bridged, instead of just plain PPPoE connection. The difference between these from what I understand is that bridged simply passes on the login/authentication process further down the line. So the modem is only demodulating the signal now, instead of doing both.

Here is where the setting was on the D-Link.
http://i.imgur.com/pfVIZ.png

Once you do this, you may also need to disable DHCP. You can usually find the option under LAN settings. You'll probably need to restart the modem at this point for the changes to take effect.
http://i.imgur.com/PwGFC.png

After the changes are in effect, you shouldn't be able to connect to the modem anymore, unless you still have DHCP enabled. DHCP simply automatically assigns every piece of equipment on the network an IP address, so without it, your computer is just a nameless piece of metal to the modem now.

[Optional (these steps are for testing)]

Quote:
You now need to go into your networking control panel and find which adapter it is using: Typically named 'Local Area Connection (1).' Once you have it located you need to right-click and goto properties. From here click on the 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) and hit properties again. From here you can set your IP address to 192.168.1.2 or whatever is next in line from the earlier mentioned modem IP. Subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0; Gateway will be the modem's IP (192.168.1.1); and the DNS can be set to Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).
http://i.imgur.com/T67L5.jpg

Once you have done that, now you can setup the WAN Miniport on your PC to test if it will work. To do that you need to go back to the Network and Sharing Center and click 'Setup a new connection or network.' Click on the 'Connect to the Internet' option. Then click PPPoE (broadband). Here you will need to know the master account email address and password or whatever your modem was using to log in with. Once this is done you should have full internet access. You can try out League now to see if this fixes your problem or not. If not, then you have something else going on than what I did. If it did, then we now need to hook the router back up.

[Optional (these steps are for testing)]

So now we want to have the modem connected to the router, which in turn will connect everything else (like it should be). To do this you need to plug into the router or through wireless (though you may disconnect yourself in this process, better just to connect directly). You need to use the same steps as before in finding the routers IP. Also while doing this, the modem cannot be hooked up to the router, or it will simply goto the modem's page again. Once you are in the router's configuration page, you need to hunt down the WAN (or basic settings setup) page. Here is what the NETGEAR's looks like.
http://i.imgur.com/2sCNO.png

Then you simply need to put in all the correct information into the right spots. The username and password are usually the master email account, unless otherwise specified by your ISP. The IP setting should be left to automatic (dynamic) unless you have a static IP, the DNS can also be left to automatic. Click apply. Now we need to turn on the router's DHCP (if it isn't already on). It is usually located under the LAN settings.
http://i.imgur.com/gEGoa.png

Once all this is done, you need to click apply and restart the router. Once it is back up you can connect the modem straight to the router's internet port (on the NETGEAR, is it outlined in yellow). From here you should be good to go once the router logs in. Just connect you computer normally to the router (should already be). You may need to renew the IP lease from the router. You can do this simply by disconnecting and reconnecting or using 'ipconfig -renew' in a cmd window.

Hope this helped.