Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP Mid theory

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sister

09-16-2011

Almost every player nowadays in all ELO ranges are familiar with the current meta of tanky solo top, AP mid, jungler, support/ad carry bot. In examining the reasoning behind this, AP mid replaced the old AD carry mid because AP carries need levels (Also auto attacks draw minion aggro so AP carries generally outlane AD carries in mid since they can fully harass an opponent with no response from minions). AD carries need farm to deal damage whereas AP carries need levels. Not that CS is not important for AP carries but a bot lane Ap carry will lack a huge amount of punch that is the difference between a lvl 11 ult and a lvl 6 ult.

So, to defeat an opposing AP carry in mid its reasonable to assume that once you outlevel them you have the advantage. I'm not going to go in depth about all the different matchups but these are just basic thoughts to consider when heading mid.

1. Everyone knows the meta.
Even in low elo and smurfs you will have people crying for an AP carry mid. They may have no idea why they are saying it but this in itself is an advantage. 60-80% of the time you will be facing an AP carry in mid. So how is this information useful?

2. Durability
In playing several ap carries mid (Anivia,Annie,Brand,Kass etc) I have tested the difference in laning with Doran's ring vs Doran's shield/Regrowth Pendant/Boots + pots.
On Annie, i always go regrowth>philo>tenacity item simply because I focus on farming and just terrifying the opponent with her combo. Doran's ring is simply unnecessary because I don't have any mana issues and it's weak to harass. Having health regen and sustain allows you to get the levels you need to become dangerous without b'ing or getting zoned out of cs.

3. Runes
Marks mpen are almost always taken unless you are an akali, yellows I still go with 11mp/5@18 or flat armor, blues i switched the flat AP/cdr for flat MR. mpen, cdr, ap quints can vary by champion. The results I've seen are that I am basically in a dominating position from the very first exchange which usually sets the tone for the rest of the laning phase.

*Sidenote, Siege minion is an often ignored aspect of laning, but I think its an essential factor in harrass and 1v1ing at mid. At low lvls hundreds of dmg done by the siege minion can make or break a fight, so fighting after killing their siege minion tilts any level fight in your favor.

Anyway these are just some ideas I had about AP mid and constructive criticism and corrections of incorrect info would be great.

MorikTheMad

09-16-2011

This is why I like the 0/9/21 Ryze build...

With strength of spirit, you get 1% of your mana as hp5.

You can build very offensively rune-wise (mpen marks, flat mp5 yellows for the early harass, flat mana glyphs & quints). With the sapphire crystal that basically all Ryze players start with, thats about 660 mana, or 6.6hp5. And that's from building for offense

With such a build, his Q does about 92 damage (pre-MR), which is a pretty nice kick in the face, on a pretty low CD.

Sister

09-16-2011

SoS is a very good point as well, i'll update a point on defensive vs offensive mastery later thanks for the input.

Hakuou

09-16-2011

Also, I'm imagining that the availability of blue is a concern here. Putting the AP carry at mid will give him consistent access to blue when the jungler gives it to him.

Sister

09-16-2011

I also considered that, but the old AD mid 2nd red buff was pretty good too, nowadays AD carry doesn't get red for a while..

MorikTheMad

09-16-2011

If you are on the blue team, the red buff isn't too crazy far away... especially if you get it right after you b to town, pick up some stuff, hit up red buff, and then back to lane or to gank.

TheHangman

09-16-2011

I love going a tanky dps champ mid. Shen vs Kassadin, shen wins and kassadin ends up underleveled. renekton vs 90% of casters is so incredibly unfair, it is an insane brand counter, and once the lead is taken, renekton can dive about as much as he wants.

MrJon3s

09-16-2011

If they getting out landed by shen or ren they are dumb. Both are easy to dodge and harrass.

SeCKS Egai

09-16-2011

You can't just assume a level or two will secure winning the lane, though that really is often the case. AP carries are generally more effective (assuming they can handle) mid as they're much more dependent on their activated abilities than an AD carry. As several AP carries primarily use an ability to last hit, side lanes are generally far less efficient. It's really the combination of minion kills and level ups that allows the ap carry to be effective.

For example, Annie can lane away from mid, but if she's having to compete with a lane partner for creep kills alongside with having to contend with two enemies to possibly zone her, there is a lot of potential for a major difference in performance vs her laning mid. As most AP carries rely on damage from activated abilities, you'll want them as strong as possible, where as an ad carry has a bit more luxury relying so much more on autoattacks.

Erekai

09-16-2011

Quote:
TheHangman:
I love going a tanky dps champ mid. Shen vs Kassadin, shen wins and kassadin ends up underleveled. renekton vs 90% of casters is so incredibly unfair, it is an insane brand counter, and once the lead is taken, renekton can dive about as much as he wants.

I'd like to see more BSery like this. We're so "stuck" in this current meta, it seems people are afraid of trying something different. Sure the meta may be effective, but when someone dares to mix it up, things like that happen.

I love to see more stuff like this. People mixing it up and breaking the molds.