Riven's voice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fatebinder

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2011

I don't care for Riven's current voice and emotes. =/ From her lore I had expected her to be much more aggressive and not so... well, whiny. She's a hardened Noxian warrior who has brutally murdered scores of people, and yet her voice is low-key and mournful.

Maybe match the voice to the appearance and lore of champions better next time?

Omniphonic

09-16-2011

holy ****, i thought i was the only one!

i was so lonely...

the rest of the playerbase doesn't seem to care, because all they hear is sexy female voice and the nikasour syndrome kicks in full force. I have to mute character sounds anytime I play as Riven. The voice is at such great odds from what the character is depicted to be it's just stupid. It's easily the worst voice-over of any character in the game. I just can't stand it. The sibilant 's' sounds are just unbearable.

Like I said in another thread in which I recieved several downvotes, she's supposed to be a veteran warrior who's soul and sword have been broken through exile and she sounds like a high-school cheerleader. It's hard to even talk about without using profanities.

Colonel Justice

09-16-2011

You know what I like about the Audio Forum? The average level of intelligence displayed here far exceeds that of the general forums. The above posts prove it.

Now, I haven't played Riven yet. This makes me want to. Any amateur audio enthusiast, or any audio professional would take a character's story into consideration when Designing sound for it. I wonder, then, how much leeway Riot's audio department is given when designing sound for these characters.

I wonder, if they had a good voice for her, then during a review, a designer said "No... our playerbase is full of lonely adolescent whelps who eat up sexy voices like candy. Sexy voice is more marketable. Give us sexy voice!!"

Audio Guys: "We hear and obey".

Of course, it could have been audio's decision too. The mind boggles.

Fatebinder

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2011

At least she doesn't look like mostly naked a twig with watermelon sized breasts. Given that, I think that they did her audio back when her back story still had her as a Demacian. If that's true, then they were just lazy. Is it that difficult to re-record?

Colonel Justice

09-16-2011

Well, it's probably more difficult than it seems at first. Especially if it's contracted talent. You'd have to set up another recording session, pay for them, edit and implement the lines of audio. If the audio team is already overloaded with work you can see how it's much more attractive just to say "Use the old lines, most people won't know enough to care anyways." Because they're right. Most people won't care or complain so it's not worth the extra work.

Marth Wagner

09-18-2011

Rather have her current voice than her sounding like a manlady

Low-key and mournful? you DO realize if you actually read her lore that she want's to start over new and that what she had done wasn't what she originally had in mind? it only makes sense that she sounds as she does, after all she's done.

Also, i don't remember many off the top of my head, but does anybody else think Riven sounds kinda like Ashe? probably the same VA

Farnbil

09-28-2011

Probably has some lung problems after all that gas

Vistiliath

11-01-2011

Studio time is normally very expensive. It can be $100+ per minute. Then you also have to pay the voice actor/actress. So it does get very expensive very quickly. Also, I kind of like her voice. The voice you're born with won't really effect what you do in the future, and visa versa. Also, the mournfulness in her voice would make sense. Being that she deserted Noxia in disgust after seeing their nature.
Having said all that, I'm not trying to bash your opinion. I'm fine with what you think. Those are just the reasons I believe they won't change her voice.