@Riot - Why use Adobe Air?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taion809

09-16-2011

RAD, rapid application development. Allowed riot to push LoL and compete for market share while lowering the development time.

Tldr: fast startup, bad long term.

Wackenov

09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkt View Post
RAD, rapid application development. Allowed riot to push LoL and compete for market share while lowering the development time.

Tldr: fast startup, bad long term.
Oh I definitely understand that. However, with the massive success of the company it might be a good idea to transition away from Air, rather than continuing to make revisions to the current system.

I'm sure it has been a topic of discussion in the Riot offices I just wanted some clarification of Riot's stance on the issue(or nonissue, depending on who you ask).

The Awesome Twin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
The current version of the Mac client done by an external company was discontinued, but that doesn't mean we are never going to have a mac client.

Also, the PvP.net team has invested significant time in making sure the AIR client is idle while in game and continues to try to improve it.

The decision to go with AIR was made long before my time with Riot so I can't tell you the original motivation for going with it.
You're right that it goes idle, but it still hogs a lot of ram which seems to increase every time there's an update to the client. As a programmer it's my opinion that it should be rewritten to be optimized. I'd vote for C++, but that's my language of choice for everything, I'm a tad biased.

If I could make one suggestion though, it would be that some effort is put into offloading as much data as possible off the RAM when a game is started. I can't for the life of my figure out why the client takes such a massive amount of RAM, but to be fair I don't have an experience with writing a program that large in such a high level language.

If the client is dumping all the image and sound files off the RAM while the game is running as I assume it isn't, then I'd have to conclude it's a failing on the AIR platform, and if that were the case I'd be questioning its' viability when, assuming the networking code isn't too complex, a near identical program could be written in C++.

JiggaHERTZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2011

Quote:
I LOL'd.

BTW if the AIR client took 100% while you were playing the game... you wouldn't be playing the game. If you can provide more details and slightly less hyperbole I can pass it on, hohums is actively working this issue right now.
You sure about that?

Wackenov

09-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaHERTZ View Post
You sure about that?
http://youtu.be/2a2SS0zqmzk?t=1m47s

boourns

UI Designer

09-18-2011
3 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaHERTZ View Post
You sure about that?
Awesome, that's the kind of information that is really helpful! I'll pass it on to hohums.

This is from the current patch, correct? We're trying to track down what has changed which made the AIR client start taking a lot more CPU time than it did before.

Unfortunately actionscript is a managed language where you don't really do your own memory management, adobe controls that kind of stuff I believe.

Wackenov

09-18-2011

Quote:
Unfortunately actionscript is a managed language where you don't really do your own memory management, adobe controls that kind of stuff I believe.
A very good reason to move away from it.

rumples

09-18-2011

its probably from all the skarners flying across the map with someone on his tail.

IS1d69e2e5726f5f

09-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackenov View Post
Oh I definitely understand that. However, with the massive success of the company it might be a good idea to transition away from Air, rather than continuing to make revisions to the current system.

I'm sure it has been a topic of discussion in the Riot offices I just wanted some clarification of Riot's stance on the issue(or nonissue, depending on who you ask).
well, current Riot behavior is showing that marketing/tech has determine that it's more cost-effective to hire more engineers/coders for revision rather than contracting an outside company to rewrite the platform. I don't think Riot has the programming resources to rewrite the game themselves.

KusAchtak

09-18-2011

Quote:
The current version of the Mac client done by an external company was discontinued, but that doesn't mean we are never going to have a mac client.

Also, the PvP.net team has invested significant time in making sure the AIR client is idle while in game and continues to try to improve it.

The decision to go with AIR was made long before my time with Riot so I can't tell you the original motivation for going with it.
Well Mr. boourns, is there a team currently working on making a new, better client from scratch? Or have you given up and we're stuck with AIR for good?

NOTE: I will take a "yes" to this question as "This will not be released for the next 5 years", not as a "soon", So no worries :P