Should the purple teams' camera angle be changed ?

Yes, I agree 1,226 78.74%
No, I do not agree 57 3.66%
I play with an unlocked screen, does not affect me 274 17.60%
Voters: 1557. You may not vote on this poll

PETITION: Camera angle correction

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xytrin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynmaker View Post
Posts like these can never be taken seriously because of how blatantly wrong they are. Please think about what you are saying.
Unlocking the camera does not make it the 'same' for either team, simply because the goals for each are on opposite sides of the map and the camera angle is fixed pointing towards the purple side. It is easier for a blue player to get a forward looking view of the rift than it is for a purple player to get a forward looking view towards the blue side.

Yes unlocked is a good way to play the game and I've since practiced and learnt how. This however, does not change the fact that TWO teams heading in OPPOSITE directions should not have the same camera angle when playing.
I had no intentions on making a troll post or anything like that. I was just stating my experience. I do admit when you first start off the game running down the mid lane or down to bottom does take a small adjustment but once the game starts i get focused on farming/ harassing that i don't notice the difference of the camera angle at all. So i guess i just dont see what everyone else is seeing...The only time purple was a disadvantage is when i first started playing (5 months ago) as the camera locked before i realize i can unlock it.

alaskaneagle

01-20-2012

xyt's opinion is it used to bother me so I know it's a problem but I got used to it so screw the 3/4th of the people who play the game because I'd rather have an unfair advantage than know if I'm actually a better player...
You know when I get in my lane I think of farming and harrassing too BUT I'm also thinking how can I get my opponent to get killed by me or a teammate. I guess that is the thought moving the screen around replaces for you.

Vôïd

01-21-2012

Since the game is symmetrical why not just have the same viewing angle for every player? And why haven't more people thought of this?

alaskaneagle

01-21-2012

what do you mean by same viewing angle. It sounds nice but I'd like to make wure where thinking the same thing

THE steve french

01-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaneagle View Post
what do you mean by same viewing angle. It sounds nice but I'd like to make wure where thinking the same thing
The concept can be compared to playing a tennis video game, for example. When you're playing, your character is nearest you while the opponent is on the far side of the court. However, when the two players switch sides of the court, you will still see your character being nearest to you (the view is inverted.) This is to avoid awkwardness and changes in fluidity of the game. Just imagine playing the game while your player was on the far side... That's the problem that purple team faces.

THE steve french

01-21-2012

Riot please implement this feature. Just look at the poll.... 75% of players want this...

Magni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2012

I really think something should be done with the camera angle as well. Right now the angle clearly favors the blue side.

Here's a screenshot I took on Lux - her huge range helps demonstrate the camera angle's disadvantage.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i.../LoLCamera.jpg

The player can see above the circle yet it is cut off at the bottom of the screen, so it's not just a question of the HUD being in the way as some people have mentioned. Else it would look like this:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...LoLCamera2.jpg

Karolina

01-25-2012

I totally agree with this idea. It's actually quite common in RTS games. I always turn the camera around when starting a game in SupCom, CoH, DoW and DoW2 (so that my base is on the bottom of the map).

To me, it's not even about seeing less, it just feels more natural to move forward, and given the point of view, forward is up.

Reynmaker

01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xytrin View Post
I had no intentions on making a troll post or anything like that. I was just stating my experience. I do admit when you first start off the game running down the mid lane or down to bottom does take a small adjustment but once the game starts i get focused on farming/ harassing that i don't notice the difference of the camera angle at all. So i guess i just dont see what everyone else is seeing...The only time purple was a disadvantage is when i first started playing (5 months ago) as the camera locked before i realize i can unlock it.
Apologies on coming across so abrasive, let me start over.

I've been playing the game for close to a year now, hit 30, and I'm starting over playing unlocked and smartcasting because I've realized the benefits of these tools. I would still point out though, some no-so-scientific observations. These come mostly from watching High ELO streams of professional players, where I began to recognize the playstyle needed for unlocked camera, and the benefits that it brings.

Even the pros acknowledge the adjustments needed for playing form purple:

I've witnessed Doublelift mention in passing while playing Corki bot lane from purple, after he missed a combo, the adjustment in attack distances that you need to be aware of.

I've seen Aphromoo and Muffinqt when doing a Ez/Leona bot lane, mention that they 'lucked out' and got blue side, since it's easier to land both of those champs' skill shots.

I've seen in high ELO scrims( recently EG vs. Goose), team comps adjusted due to which side and players very interested in which side they were starting from, with some champs outright not being played, if 'we get purple side'

So what I'm saying is that Riot has made a fixed and locked camera angle, and everyone plays it because it's all we have, true, unlocked camera has major benefits over locked, but the problem is not locked vs. unlocked, it's the fixed angle of the camera. Else, why would some of the best players in the world not play a particular champ, 'if they get purple' ?

There is a distinct gameplay difference, admittedly, that many players accept and overcome (as I am working on) but it is truly not the same, and honestly, I think that in conjunction with the zoom ceiling, probably the last major shortcoming of the game. (I could live with a buggy pvp.net client, If the angle for both teams was changed)

Atrumv

01-25-2012

I personally think that they should flip the map for the purple team.. the only thing that would need to change from a technical standpoint is putting an inverted coordinate system as the map. This way it always feels like you are on the blue team even though you might be on the purple. Like my friend could be blue on one side, working his way up and I would be on the purple team, map flipped, working my way up towards him. Kinda confusing to explain but this isn't a set landscape. It's a video game. If i were purple and moved left on my screen I'd be moving right on the blue's team.