Sight Ward - Early Game ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apeph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2011

Hi,

Recently, I played with a friend and someone else in 5v5.
This one told us he was going to jungle with Nocturne.
He told us to start the game with a "Sight Ward" to prevent ganking.

I did refuse because I need this 75$ to start the game with pots.
My micro is nice and I stay in range of the ennemies.
This wand last 3 minutes, I never die or get ganked during these 3 minutes.

Finally, this person left LOL unsatisfied telling us ; "we don't want to play like pros".

I have a strong knowledge of Starcraft2 E-Sports (GSL MLG etc).
I don't have this for LOL (I'll follow next MLG for sure).

What's your opinions about all this ?
Precisely about "Starting the game with a Ward instead of Pots" ?
I'm very curious and I always want to learn to be a better gamer.

Thanks, HF in Game.

Cenerae

09-15-2011

Depends on the champion...

If you're playing a support, then there's no good reason why you shouldn't get a ward or two to start with (you can begin with boots, a ward and a potion, or a faerie charm, 2-3 wards and some potions, for example). Certain strong junglers (like Warwick or Nunu) can afford a ward if they want to do aggressive counter jungling (ward enemy red or blue and then smite steal it later).

Even if you're support and start with a ward, generally you won't be placing it until around the 4 minute mark, since this is when most junglers start ganking people.

Sounds like that guy was trying to be a wannabe elitist, though. Warding is important yes (because the more of the map you can see, the more control you have), but I wouldn't throw a hissy fit over it.

Apeph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
Even if you're support and start with a ward, generally you won't be placing it until around the 4 minute mark, since this is when most junglers start ganking people.
It's seem to fit my comprehension as well.

I play Soraka and I like to spam Starcall AoE on 2 enemies + their minions.
I'm used to buy 1 Boot + 2 Mana Pots (even with spamming Infuse).
This way, I can strongly push a lane, recolt all the gold and even hold 2v1 pretty well.

I would prefer to buy theses wands around the 5m mark if I TP to home or something.

Gato Muerto

09-15-2011

Wards early and often -is- the way the "pros" play. Yes, it can be good to have good habits, but yes, it is usually a waste, especially at lower levels of play.

Don't drop the early ward until near the time minions spawn (to extend the time). By the time the ward expires, the enemy jungler should have been ready to gank at least once. Map awareness is key on playing the game at "high levels". Having a reasonable idea of where the enemy is and what they are going to be doing helps, since a predictable enemy is a dead enemy. Wards just help extend this idea further.

Apeph

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato Muerto View Post
Wards early and often -is- the way the "pros" play. Yes, it can be good to have good habits, but yes, it is usually a waste, especially at lower levels of play.

Don't drop the early ward until near the time minions spawn (to extend the time). By the time the ward expires, the enemy jungler should have been ready to gank at least once. Map awareness is key on playing the game at "high levels". Having a reasonable idea of where the enemy is and what they are going to be doing helps, since a predictable enemy is a dead enemy. Wards just help extend this idea further.
I don't know if you guys know about Starcraft 2 Teran "Scan".
For me, it's like if the first 25 energy was spend on a "Scan" instead of a "Mule".
This Scan is used properly ~5 to 8 minutes mark for example.

If I understand well, the Wand is to prevent Gank from "AN ENEMY JUNGLER".
Not really to help "OUR JUNGLER" ?

What about if for example our Jungler is safe and the enemy team is doing the regular low-lvl 2bot 2top 1mid ?

Gato Muerto

09-15-2011

If there is no enemy jungler AND the lanes STAY in sight AND your team guards his start/blue/river/leashes, then no, warding your own jungle is pretty pointless.

However, expecting that to happen each time at the start is not the "optimal" way to do it.

Gato Muerto

09-15-2011

And truth be told, I haven't bothered w/ SC2 yet. SC1, an early sat scan of their base usually provided information such as the enemy's build order and how far they have progressed.

Apeph

09-15-2011

Quote:
If there is no enemy jungler AND the lanes STAY in sight AND your team guards his start/blue/river/leashes, then no, warding your own jungle is pretty pointless.
We're playing Normal Games and I rarely see an effective enemy Jungler considering we're new players.
I also rarely see players killings Neutral Mobs for Buffs.
I suppose in Ranked Games, it's totally the opposite which make the Wards cost-effective.

Until this Rank, I'll now buy these wands on a reactive way if I see an enemy Jungler.

Thanks for your replies, I understand a lot more.
[ qwerty123 ]

Apeph

09-15-2011

Quote:
And truth be told, I haven't bothered w/ SC2 yet. SC1, an early sat scan of their base usually provided information such as the enemy's build order and how far they have progressed.
Yah, at ~5 minutes when they begin to construct their buildings.
Not at 0 minute to see some SCVs and a Supply Depot.

Cenerae

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apeph View Post
It's seem to fit my comprehension as well.

I play Soraka and I like to spam Starcall AoE on 2 enemies + their minions.
I'm used to buy 1 Boot + 2 Mana Pots (even with spamming Infuse).
This way, I can strongly push a lane, recolt all the gold and even hold 2v1 pretty well.

I would prefer to buy theses wands around the 5m mark if I TP to home or something.
Thing is, Soraka's supposed to be support. As support it's not your job to farm all the minions, and even if it were you wouldn't want to keep doing that unless you were in a solo lane. Reasoning? You push the lane and are overextended, making you an easier target for a mid lane or jungle gank.

Now, if you were using it responsibly for harrass, but yes still pushing the lane, that's where the early ward comes into play, as the enemy jungler might make a detour from his route to pick up some kills. This is where starting with a ward comes in to play. You can place it for early warning.

Just because you might not be playing against good people yet doesn't mean you should copy what everyone else does in your games, after all.