Concerning Olaf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grasputin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2011

As many of you all know Olaf can be a very strong jungler in the right hands, the reason I am posting here is because I want to see what the community overall thinks about him, I happen to be a decent Olaf and as of now, I would not be afraid to play him in ranked matches. But professional League players like theoddone and probably many others say that he is just not a viable pick for competitive play. Now I am not saying I'm in their league of playing, but for the majority of the community I think I can pick Olaf and be confident to go against all the top pick junglers such as lee sin, nocturne, gangplank, and fiddlesticks. My question to you guys is how do you feel about Olaf in general? I think his biggest weakness is that he has no gap closer or getaways. ( But if you use ghost and his ult at the same time you have a good chance of escaping a gank.) Also I do like the slight Olaf buff in the recent patch! Here it is:

Olaf
Base armor increased to 20 from 17
Reckless Swing Mana cost reduced to 0 from 50 (Health cost remains)

Ellye

09-15-2011

Olaf is fine, in my opinion. He can jungle well, his ganks are decent, and his skillset (thanks to his ult mostly) allows him to do the job of an anti-carry at times (not as reliable for said job as true assassins like Poppy, though).

I just find it a bit hard to find a team composition where he fits well instead of other junglers. Nonetheless, I believe he's perfectly alright, and a respectable champion choice.

DA

09-15-2011

His biggest weakness is that he has to jungle with low HP at the beginning in order to jungle fast.

He has no real escapes. You do the math.

You can feel confident, but you have not gone against a strong player who counterjungles you from the start.

This is Olaf's large problem. If you are left alone, or they try to counter you late... he can work at times. He is more of a niche pick at times, but in general, he can be a decent anti-carry. He can be hard to place currently and you need the right opposing team.

Its more that at higher levels of skill, they know your paths and they know your HP as you do it. Its not a matter of poppin summoners and running when one combo kills you.

His ganks are OK compared to others. Skillshot ganks can always be a mixed bag. His jungling speed is actually decent, but again... his hp.

Olaf is one of my favorite champs, but he needs a lil tweakin.

Azernak0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2011

Ehhh, Olaf is a strong champion. It's just that he doesn't bring as much to the team as a Nocturne, Lee Sin, or even Xin would. He has no CC and his axe is often unreliable for chasing opponents down. He is strong late game, especially if you go Atmog's because of his W. As a Jungler, he is really quick but very dangerous. He doesn't have a lot of healing power like Fiddle, GP, or Udyr but the lower his health the better he is at jungling.

And that is the problem. Olaf is generally at lower HP than the enemy jungler so if they decide to go invading, he is often screwed. He also doesn't recover well from failed ganks. If Udyr runs in and the enemy escapes, he goes right back to jungling. Olaf will have likely lost some life and added to the low HP he already runs at, you often have to B after every gank; successful or not. Not having an escape does hurt him too. If another jungler invades, you don't have much chance of escaping except for blowing Summoners.

When I was level 25 and lower, my Olaf Jungle was unmatched because the enemy didn't come invading or the enemy didn't have a jungle. Now, he is pretty easily shutdown by the more experienced players and by the release of flatout better junglers. IMO, he is better at laning at the moment because Undertow is actually fairly brutal in lane. Overall, I would say Olaf is an awesome DPS choice if the enemy has a lot of AoE CC or just hard CC in general but otherwise he is fairly unimpressive when given other choices. He doesn't have Nocturne's CC and doesn't have the mobility or ganking power of Lee Sin. But he does still have the best skin in the game; I love me some Brolaf.

Cheers.
-Azernak0