Brand vs Talon: How can you handle Talon?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gato Muerto

09-15-2011

This was probably my worst game in a LONG time. Talon vs me as Brand mid. 2/13/2 end game.

He was fairly standard fare until around level 5. I would head towards him w/ Conflag, and he would hit me w/ Cutthroat before I could get my spell off, and then work me over while I was silenced. Pretty much able to burst me from full health with one rotation of his spells.

Problem is not the silence, but the range he has on his cutthroat. At the very least, I should get my spell off in exchange, but each time, he would get me first, and then I would be slashed, slowed, in "bleed" condition. No flash, no hourglass due to the silence.

What is the method to compete against him?

Tyorll

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2011

Isn't talon supposed to counter squishies like casters? He has all the tools to do it so I'm not surprised you were having trouble vs him. You can sit under your tower and farm up minion waves, and he'll be over extended for your jungler to help you gank him. Brand is awesome at clearing minion waves, so you'd not likely miss any CS by sitting near the protection of your tower.

Your jungler will love you too!

KhaoticImp

09-15-2011

Tyorll gave some great advice. I play Talon as often as I can and if your really having a hard time against him it might be worth investing in *early* chain mail vest to cut his damage down. Unless you already fed him 2 kills and its only snowballing I would try to just farm at your tower.

edit: the chainmail may set you back from your rabadon's/RoA but its far better then feeding talon. Another option could be an early catalyst/giants belt

Ayestes

09-15-2011

Talon excels at denying a spellcaster the ability to harass back at him while doing the harassing himself. The trick is to just focus on farming and play defensive. Use Jungle ganks to put serious hurt onto him or ask for a lane switch.

Kevimaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2011

I've found that as Brand Talons underestimate my damage, the key is they have to get close to combo you. Ok, they come in and do a bunch of damage, get early spellvamp (rush revolver), and EVERY time that they do a combo on you, do your combo right back at them, punish them each time they hurt you until they learn that you do more damage than them. And I usually do more damage than them, or at least sustain longer with my revolver, eventually after you've forced them off lane once or twice they get the idea and leave you alone.

Zaouron

09-15-2011

Get good at using pillar of flame to harass. it has longer range than talons silence. It's not easy to do, but with practice you can get good at predicting movements. Even if you miss with the pillar, use it to create a pseudo-perimeter between the two of you.

Once you can keep his hp at 2/3 full or less then you'll be safe since you can burst him down at that point if he jumps you.

It's also worth it to miss a few last hits in order to get the minion wave closer to your tower just in case you mess up with your pillar.

Gato Muerto

09-15-2011

Thanks for the advice. I guess I am just too used to having full control over the lane, and need to learn to cower in fear once in a while.

Now I just need to find some good Talons to go up against in order to practice this technique called "running like a wench".